Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Rear mounted ski racks

Just curious what anybody does for ski transport. E350 with PH top and Thule racks up top. I would like to have something on the back of the van to keep the skis outside. Yes, I have a side ladder and even a Thule roof box that we use for other stuff. It will hold skis but getting up and down the ladder in the winter is not something I really want to do.

I have the spare tire on the back as well as the Aluminess deluxe box. I also have a 1up bike rack for the back. I was hoping to find a way to put them in a protective bag then carry the skis back and forth outside the van but easily accessible for this old fart. Need to keep them protected from the mag chloride they spray on the roads around here as that will rust out the edges and bindings in short order.

Did an online search and saw that if I had a Thule or Yakima bike rack, they make ski attachments but not gonna buy another bike rack solution as I like the 1up system too much.

Ideas??

Bob

Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

Garage
I love my 1-up rack too but plan on replacing it with a recon upright rack here eventually, with a swing arm to keep bikes attached and out of the way. Can hold up to 6 bikes vertically and have them stick out similar to 2 on a 1up. that being said you can also store many sets of skis with this rack too, throw them in some kind of protective bag and you can easily bungee many sets vertically I would assume, I have seen pics of people doing it, they might even sell attachments but I haven't actually researched it. Might be worth looking into even though like you I love my 1up, this has more uses for me, if only I had know this 2 years ago when I got my 1upUSA.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

I have a hitch mounted ski rack from Inno that I used on my old camper. It appears that they are out of production now that I look for them. Here is an old Woot page that shows photos:

https://www.woot.com/offers/inno-combo-ski-bike-hitch-1

This is nice as it does not add much length unlike the Thule version. It looks like a clam-shell rack, but you use rubber straps to lash each pair of skis to the rack and the outer aluminum bars are just there to make it slightly more difficult for someone to steal your skis. If you were to use regular rooftop clam-shells by themselves it would be hard to clamp in multiple pairs of skis as they would all want to fall down at once when you open it. Now if you added a way to strap each pair in with a Voile Strap or something similar you might be able to make something from roof-rack parts.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Pretty sure it's Thule, but they make a spare tire carrier bike rack that can be adapted into a ski/board rack. Looks like it could work with the box.

Kind of looking into same myself. Don't want to put frozen snow covered board and skis in the van.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Saw this custom carrier built by a welder not too far from you in Telluride. Might be worth a call if it suits your purpose.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

Good stuff. That Tallboy rack looks expensive. My wife would say that is right up my alley.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Rear mounted ski racks

Rockymounts ski racks mounted onto my side ladder (or rear in your case) you could probably mount Thule or Yakima racks the same. I take the racks off when ski seasons over and yes, the skis get dirty.....

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Hello. Have an 06 with CCV med pop top. Looking to add Yakima roof rack but trying to figure out how best to mount the cross bars. The top seems to be thin and not very flat for tracks. Is your roof rack bolted using use pop top frame bolts? Any help is appreciated.

Greg
dallagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #9

Our our CCV Medium Top we installed the Thule/Yakima low profile tracks. They are through bolted into the interior (see the last picture, the black circles towards he outer edges of the top are the interior fasteners.

Due to the taper of the roof front to back, they were installed in two parallel sets, the front set a bit narrower than the rear set. You can this in the picture with the solar panel. The tracks up front hold the attachment brackets for the solar panel, the rear set of tracks hold the attachments for the Mega Warrior basket. The basket attaches directly to the the tracks to keep the profile as low as possible.

For holding skis, I run a set of ski racks across the top basket. I could also remove the basket and mount feet and cross bars on the tracks for more flexibility.

The top is plenty strong. I have stood up there many times loading the basket or cleaning the solar panel. the restrictions come when lifting. The geometry of the medium limits lifting capacity. Carrying/Load capacity has never been an issue for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4044.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	21353 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4234.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	21354

Name:	IMG_4236.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	21355 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4237.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	21356

Name:	Inside 1.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	21357
Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I love my 1-up rack too but plan on replacing it with a recon upright rack here eventually,

Just got a Recon Rack last week. I am in Draper if you want to check it out.

Definitely some pros and cons but if you need to hold that many bikes w your van and don't want them on the roof, seems like a good choice.