Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

Re: Recommendations for hard side trailer

I own a Casita 17 purchased after my SMB, pull it w/ either a Raptor or Dodge CTD, has torsion axle suspension and to date have had no issues.The number of rivets through the shell holding cabinets is not huge and some owners spend an afternoon replacing w/ stainless machine screws and nylock nuts which is a permanent solution that doesn't cost much. Some owners replace the axle w/ a 22degree down axle to gain clearance to run 16inch AT tires. I spoke with http://www.adventuretrailers.com/resource.html about doing a suspension swap as the Casita sits in a standard steel channel frame. Cost est was $2500 and takes a couple of days. I like the layout and construction of my Casita.

2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #12

RPOD

I camped in a truck camper since 2006, but gave it up recently for an R-POD trailer. Not a real off-road trailer, but with the off-road tires and axle risers, I haven't a problem yet pulling it around the local desert. I really like dropping the trailer at the campground and then go off exploring as opposed to always hauling a 2,000 pound camper in the truck.

There's a good RPOD forum that has a lot of info:
http://www.rpod-owners.com

My RPOD at Joshua Tree NP: