Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #11

Re: roof box access

Looks the factory metal roof can't take the walking that a penthouse can take.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #12

Well, mostly what you're seeing is where the PO backed the van under an awning or something and dented the area just forward of the brake light. It's one of those things I didn't notice when i bought the van, only after i got it home and went to get on the roof the first time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, you're right: it just looks wrong. And I've wondered if it would be more tempting for kids, etc to climb on when the van is in a parking lot than a standard rear ladder would be.

The security argument for a kayak is good. Ditto skis.

As for not wanting to carry more in the van -- it has dawned on me that of course I'll removing stuff -- rollatable, sunshade, backpacks, tent and putting it in the roofbox, so there would in fact be room for a telecoping ladder.

These roofs are easy to dent -- like 86Scotty, I didn't see the dent on the roof of my van until after purchase, when I climbed up to look at rust in the gutters. Looks like the previous owner (or two or three -- I'm number 4) got whacked by a branch.

BTW -- if anyone is looking for Yakima raingutter towers, check eBay. I got a set of four in great condition with locks for $50. I used my twice-yearly REI 20% off coupon for the 78" bars.

Now I need an awning to attach to the Yakima bars, perhaps as LenS has done.

Cheers,
GreyDawg
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #14

I have the same issue, but have a back door ladder currently (which will come off when I upgrade my back bumper with the full box and bike rack arrangment). What portable ladder options have people found that work well? I like freestanding, but can't find one that will fit inside the van well and not take up too much space. Only telescoping ones I've found are heavy, expensive, and need to lean against the van. This dosen't work well as my bars are 86" and stick out way past the sides of the van.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #15

roof box access

My wife and I registered for a four step ladder from bed bath and beyond before we got married and somehow wound up with two. They work great. I can reach up and get things in and out of the Yakima skybox. Since they are the same height we can use both to put the box up or take it down for better gas mileage. It folds up and I put it on the side of the bed. FYI
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #16

I assume you have checked out the Aluminess ladders. I like mine on the side and can still access my Thule box with it. A little bit of a stretch but no problems. Plus its always there since its bolted to the side of the van. Don't have to think about it.

http://www.aluminess.com/ladders.htm
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #17

roof box access

I'd like one as well but with a guard so that zombies or regular people can't climb up when it's parked. Anyone seen or heard of that?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #18

roof box access

That's fairly simple. Apply anti-zombie people grease to the rungs when not in use. Fools those zombies every time. Oh, don't forget to wipe down before use!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoVolcomSMB
I'd like one as well but with a guard so that zombies or regular people can't climb up when it's parked. Anyone seen or heard of that?
I used a pieces of lexan and a couple of rubber coated pad locks that fit over the rungs on my ladders. When new to the towns people, I had a couple of idoits go up to see the solar panels. Now the van is known around town and I seldom use the plates.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I used a pieces of lexan and a couple of rubber coated pad locks that fit over the rungs on my ladders. When new to the towns people, I had a couple of idoits go up to see the solar panels. Now the van is known around town and I seldom use the plates.
Picture please?