Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

Re: Roof rack for canoe

We haul canoes on top of our penthouse. I had Thule tracks installed by SMB with the original build. Above that I used Yakima towers and bars. The Yakina and Thule tracks are identical. To ease loading the boats I put a Yakima "Boatloader" on one bar on each side. The Boatloader is a smaller bar that fits inside the load bar and can be pulled out a couple of feet. The loading process is to pull the boatloader bar out, rest the bow of the canoe on it, then lift the stern of the canoe and slide it onto the other load bar. The Boatloader bar is the pushed back into the load bar and locked in place. A small steping stool is needed to have enough heigth to move the canoe onto the second bar. I believe Thule makes a product similar to the Yakima Boatloader. Thule also makes a probuct they call the "Hullavator". http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...7XT-Hullavator It has a hydraulic assist, looks slick but expensive.

John

johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #12

FYI Yakima has a few recal notices for bike racks and a kayak rack:
http://yakima.com/recalls
I've used both Yakima and thule both work well. The big difference is Thule uses square bars and Yakima round bars. I prefer Thule square bars when mounting kayak products such as J saddles as the square bars prevent the mounted bracket from leaning or tupping over when you push a kayak across it. If you want a simple round bar on the back for rollers on the other hand Yakima round bars work really well too. Another option to explore is a small kayak trailer!
http://yakima.com/shop/trailers
These are great little kayak and canoe trailers at little speedy BUT everyone I know that owns them loves them and the cost of injuring your back. Well 2k is worth every penny. OR do as I did and modify your utility trailer by adding some Yakima or Thule bars and hey presto you have a trailer that hauls yard waste and bark and also your kayaks and bikes! It hauls my 22' double ocean kayak and I simply back it down a boat ramp for launching.
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #13

We use a Malone Trailer for transporting the canoe and paddle gear behind us.

I did not like lifting the canoe onto the 8 ft+8 inch high roof of the sprinter PT and clambering up there to secure it. Trailering the canoe does not appear to reduce gas mileage as it used to when we hauled the canoe on top of our shorter height Westy. The Malone is shipped unassembled but easy to put together with basic tools and includes decent electrical fittings, fenders and canoe straps and the tongue telescopes in or can be removed for vertical storage on the rubber bumper pads. The wheels do not fold flat like the Yakima RocknRoll. You can order it with wider Tule bars for two ocean kayaks and aluminum wheels to reduce weight and we bought the lockable storage bin for storing PFDs, ropes and seat cushions that sits between the wheels. I think it was about $1,250 + shipping + another $295 for the hinged storage bin (which is not completely weather or dust tight, but has bottom weep holes). With the storage bin removed a wood platform could be installed between the wheels for basic material hauling chores.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 w Canoe.jpg  
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #14

Wow Spenard, very nice trailer! We'll be driving down some dirt roads and beach sand down in baja so I'm trying to stay away from a trailer, but I really like the looks of your setup. I'm still a little unsure of how to access the tied own straps up there... Good reason to get a side-mount ladder?

I'm going to swing by REI tomorrow afternoon to price out the Thule and Yakima racks. A friend also mentioned a kayak shop in San Pedro that installs custom racks. I'll swing by and see what he recommends and hopefully have something up there in the next couple of weeks.