Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: SMB (and other) Trailers

ok.... good point.....

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I hit HF today at lunch, not too far from SMB TX...

I saw three trailers, two folders (4x8 and 12x4) and one small with rails... and a sign that says to check their trailer options online.

They look like trailers that would be good for on-road and around town. The folding trailers are tempting.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #23

Greg,
Check this web site www.off-roadinternational.com I have in the years past tricked out a couple of these surplus trailers and they are frequently available nation wide .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Mike it would be great if you could post an image of how you remounted the rams. I know the albums are down but maybe you can add an attachment? That thing is hard to lift.
Dave B
The top was hard for me to lift. When I put 2 bicycles up there, it was very difficult and impossible for my wife.

I don't know how to add a photo as an attachment, so I will give you the dimensions to the mounts for the ram.

The upper (lid) mount on my trailer is 18" from the inside of the lid to the pivot point (middle of the bracket). I'm hoping they are all the same. If not, you may have to adjust the mounting of the lower pivot.

The lower mount was 3/4" down from top of the inside of the trailer, not to the fiberglass. And it was 34 1/2" from the pivot to the inside of the back of the trailer. The two mounting screws are +/- 3/4" from there.

I moved the lower mount to 3 3/4" down from the top and 31 3/8 in from the inside back. I used self drilling screws through the inner sheet metal to secure the mount. I don't remember if they were installed by SMB and I re-used them, or if they were something I had in the shop.

After removing the rams, I propped the top up with a 2x4 and crawled in to mark and drill the holes.

With the lower mount moved to that location, my wife can open the top with both bikes up there, yet it still stays closed when it is lowered.

Good luck. If it turns out like mine, you will be very happy with the results.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll PM you if I need more questions.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mike it would be great if you could post an image of how you remounted the rams. I know the albums are down but maybe you can add an attachment? That thing is hard to lift.
Dave B
The top was hard for me to lift. When I put 2 bicycles up there, it was very difficult and impossible for my wife.

I don't know how to add a photo as an attachment, so I will give you the dimensions to the mounts for the ram.

The upper (lid) mount on my trailer is 18" from the inside of the lid to the pivot point (middle of the bracket). I'm hoping they are all the same. If not, you may have to adjust the mounting of the lower pivot.

The lower mount was 3/4" down from top of the inside of the trailer, not to the fiberglass. And it was 34 1/2" from the pivot to the inside of the back of the trailer. The two mounting screws are +/- 3/4" from there.

I moved the lower mount to 3 3/4" down from the top and 31 3/8 in from the inside back. I used self drilling screws through the inner sheet metal to secure the mount. I don't remember if they were installed by SMB and I re-used them, or if they were something I had in the shop.

After removing the rams, I propped the top up with a 2x4 and crawled in to mark and drill the holes.

With the lower mount moved to that location, my wife can open the top with both bikes up there, yet it still stays closed when it is lowered.

Good luck. If it turns out like mine, you will be very happy with the results.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll PM you if I need more questions.
Dave
You can purchase stronger gas struts from Mc Master Carr. The ones you have should have a rating on them, and they usually increase in increments of 25 lbs.

All the calculations needed to work out the strength of the strut, based on the strut angel, stroke, weight of the lid are all there.
trailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerman
You can purchase stronger gas struts from Mc Master Carr. The ones you have should have a rating on them, and they usually increase in increments of 25 lbs.

All the calculations needed to work out the strength of the strut, based on the strut angel, stroke, weight of the lid are all there.
It's not the strength of the struts. It's the design of the mounts. When the lid is closed, the lid mount is below the body mount - and that means the strut is pushing the lid closed, not helping with the weight of the lid. Lowering the body mount lets the strut push the lid up even when it is closed - not enough to open it, just enought to assist with opening (as it should).

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerman

Thank you....I will look into that also.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:

Add brakes.
I wish. Can't find compatible brakes. The ones I find are for 5/6 bolt wheels.
You should be able to get brakes.

To get an 8 lug pattern the axle is had to be 5200 lbs. Axles 5200 lb, 6,000 lb. and 7000 lb use 12 x 2 electric brakes. There are standard parts at any trailer supply house.
trailerman is offline   Reply With Quote