Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

StowAway2 SwingAway

I'm looking at a Stowaway2 Swingaway for my 2008 2X4 E-350 PSD PH Sportsmobile. This would be used just for longer trips. I wanted to check to see if anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with the product: mounting, over-all handling, sway, ease of use, access to back doors, security, dirt roads, etc.

Thanks.

Philip

salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #2

Re: StowAway2 SwingAway

I've got one on my RB50. We use it about all the time since we had our kid as it perfect to throw a stroller or backpack carrier into without taking up a ton of space in the van. We got ours with the SMB when we purchased it used. It has a plate and u-bolt that wraps around the hitch mount (horrible description I know) that makes a huge difference on stability. I don't know if that is a stock or added by the previous owner. I can take a picture of it if you need.

I was skeptical of it when we got the van, but it has been great. It isn't a big deal to get it to swing out of the way. My feeling is that it is less work to swing it out of the way than to deal with climbing on top of the van to access a rooftop cargo box.

I haven't used it off road.
tobanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Re: StowAway2 SwingAway

Thanks ... just the info I need. The main reason I like the StowawaySwingaway idea is I plan to carry at least a couple of 5-gal diesel jugs inside the Stowaway, which I assume is legal (maybe even in California!) ... along with chairs, etc., I don't want exposed.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote