Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Towing

Anyone know where I can find the class/weight rating of my receiver hitch? I checked the original dealer window sticker and it says Class II/III/IV. I can only assume that an E350 would come with at least a Class 3 hitch, right? I plan on renting a car carrier in 2 weeks to move across the country (2 of us with 3 vehicles) and will need to tow about 6,000 - 7,000 lbs (incl. trailer weight).

Any help is appreciated.

Ken Keister

Buy My Sportsmobile: BigRed4X4Van.com

See my Personal Picture Gallery or my Stupid Blog
Colorado Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #2

Ken,
My reciever has a sticker on it that shows the class reciever and tow weights. I think it is a class IV, but without looking I don't remember the weights. Check the reciever for the sticker.
Chris
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Team

If it's a factory Ford trailer hitch, it will be a class IV hitch. I think class IV's can accommodate 5000lbs tongue weight, and can EASILY handle 6-7,000lbs. An E350 is rated to tow up to 10,000lbs. Play around with the location of the vehicle on the trailer to find the sweet-spot regarding tongue weight. A general rule of thumb is to shoot for about 10% of the combined trailer weight as tongue weight.

I've towed about 7,000lbs a fair number of times. Bogs down on the hills, and make sure you have a brake controller and a trailer with brakes on it because it will seriously affect your braking. Turn off overdrive on most uphills to help keep the transmission in one gear, and turn it off and/or downshift on downhills to save your brakes.

Herb
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Here is what I plan to use:

I will be putting a 4Runner on the trailer, which is actually too heavy according to the trailer specifications; but the Uhaul website doesn't discourage it. I'm hoping that the double axel will take on much of the load and reduce the tongue weight. The vehicle will probably sit on the trailer like the following picture (taken a few years ago).

CLICK HERE IF PICTURE DOESN'T SHOW

Any additional thoughts or concerns? Should I be concerned? My only other option is to fly back and drive the 4Runner separately.

Ken

Old 12-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #5

Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
If it's a factory Ford trailer hitch, it will be a class IV hitch. I think class IV's can accommodate 5000lbs tongue weight, and can EASILY handle 6-7,000lbs. An E350 is rated to tow up to 10,000lbs.
Herb
The factory trailer hitch can accommodate the maximum your vehicle can tow, whatever that rating is (mine is just under 10,000 lbs.) BUT, the maximum tongue weight is 1,000 lbs, WITH a weight distributing hitch.

Trailer tongue weight should be between 10% - 15% of the weight of the trailer, loaded.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #6

Remember you want some tongue weight, and the receiver ratings are dependant on the vehicle- not that the E350 is a lightweight.

You could always flat tow, you lose the weight of the trailer and the SMB pulls a Wrangler like it's not there, I imagine the 4runner is pretty light. You need lights and a flat tow bar, and to determine if the vehicle tranny needs anything special- for example:
Jeep Wrangler - tranny in first (or Park), tcase in N, tow forever
Atlas II - same config, good for 300 miles after which you should start vehicle engine and engage gear (D or 1st) with Altas in N to lubricate. Rinse and repeat

Some vehicles need additional work to make them flat towable, however pulling the driveshafts is always an option, and since this is a one time deal that's probably your best bet just to be safe.

I'll be dragging a flat tow bar to Denver around Christmas if you're interested I'll keep it on top of my junk.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Oh yeah, I'll also be bringing my tried and true car trailer but you'd have to drag it empty one way.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

Wait... across the country? That means you're moving AWAY from Colorado? Are you going to be Floridia Ken?

Jeeze, I didn't expect people to actually leave Colorado just because I'm moving there!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #9

According to the manual, it is not supposed to be flat-towed. I'm sure it can be done with the adjustments you mentioned, but I think I will just put it on the carrier with all four off the road.

Yes, I am leaving Colorado. We are moving to Maine and will be leaving before the holiday. Don't worry, we will be back visiting every chance we get.