Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
BC

Steve, yes...what I meant was off on grades, on on flats, etc. I always think of it backwards because you push the button in to turn it--- off-- Anyway DaveB correctly described similar usage. Agree and sometimes do run OD OFF around town too. Bottom line: common sense. Its not constant on/off, and not on the whole time either.

BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #12

OD and towing

We've been towing our {9500 lb] Wilderness TT for three [3] years in OD on mode all over the country, [OH., KY., TN., GA., FL., {I75} AL., Ms., LA., TX., N.M., and AZ. {I10} going West and OK., and AR., {I40} to TN., {I65} to KY 80 in Bowling Green and then back to Ohio on I75.
Only mechanical problem was duiring a long steep uphill in Tx. he AC shut down because, I'm told, of excess heat.
Found leaking rear pinion seal during regular service in CC, TX. and blown high pressure AC hose in Mesa, AZ.
We did find a failed turbocharger during regular service before leaving Ohio.
We've just bought a longer heavier TT for upcoming "Winter Safari" and will have to rethink our strategy on this matter.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Re: OD and towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkillsr
We've been towing our {9500 lb] Wilderness TT for three [3] years in OD on mode all over the country, [OH., KY., TN., GA., FL., {I75} AL., Ms., LA., TX., N.M., and AZ. {I10} going West and OK., and AR., {I40} to TN., {I65} to KY 80 in Bowling Green and then back to Ohio on I75.
Only mechanical problem was duiring a long steep uphill in Tx. he AC shut down because, I'm told, of excess heat.
Found leaking rear pinion seal during regular service in CC, TX. and blown high pressure AC hose in Mesa, AZ.
We did find a failed turbocharger during regular service before leaving Ohio.
We've just bought a longer heavier TT for upcoming "Winter Safari" and will have to rethink our strategy on this matter.
From another post asking about older transmissions
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... highlight=

The 2001 F-450 truck I drive at work has had some problems but I work for a power utility and we do run them through the mill. Our shop says to figure 150 K as a rule but it depends on how you treat it. Because the trany is jumping in and out of overdrive while driving in town they installed a device called Dura Trans which keeps it out of OD until 45MPH. They also said the newer transmissions don't need them as they are built better. On the other hand we have had some problems with the newer tranys just not as much. Some of the older transmissions have had no problems at all with well over 200K on them. As far as buying a used vehicle, check how many miles are on it, what they tow, how often the fluid was changed, and most important is (if the previous owner will be up front with you about the van) has it ever overheated. Our tranny guys say heat is the worst of all. If the previous owner had a trany temp gauge and kept fluid change information that would be a plus. People that take the time and money to install a temp gauge usually monitor it and don't let it get too hot. Hard to compare to work vehicles.

I worked out of a 1997 Ford truck That never had any trouble with the trany and like I said we are rough on them. That truck has well over 300K on it and no transmission problems.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #14

Re: OD and towing

One of the first [1st] things we did after our maiden voyage was install a trans temp gauge and pyrometer on tha "A" pillar.
We're looking into the possibility of engine oil and coolant temperature gauges on the opposite pillar.
We'd also like information from anyone about extra auxiliary engine and tranny fluid cooling, ie; extra fans, radiators or combinations thereof.
I don't think You can keep it too cool.
It is difficult to find this equiptment for the E350. You then must find room to install it and someone skillful enough to do it correctly, [I can't].

The 2001 F-450 truck I drive at work has had some problems but I work for a power utility and we do run them through the mill. Our shop says to figure 150 K as a rule but it depends on how you treat it. Because the trany is jumping in and out of overdrive while driving in town they installed a device called Dura Trans which keeps it out of OD until 45MPH. They also said the newer transmissions don't need them as they are built better. On the other hand we have had some problems with the newer tranys just not as much. Some of the older transmissions have had no problems at all with well over 200K on them. As far as buying a used vehicle, check how many miles are on it, what they tow, how often the fluid was changed, and most important is (if the previous owner will be up front with you about the van) has it ever overheated. Our tranny guys say heat is the worst of all. If the previous owner had a trany temp gauge and kept fluid change information that would be a plus. People that take the time and money to install a temp gauge usually monitor it and don't let it get too hot. Hard to compare to work vehicles.

I worked out of a 1997 Ford truck That never had any trouble with the trany and like I said we are rough on them. That truck has well over 300K on it and no transmission problems.
Dave B[/quote]
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Ken I put a pod with 3 gauges above my mirror...pictures in my album. Might be a solution for you.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote