Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #21

Re: Towing Travel Trailer!

Got a great deal!Just need to clean up someone else's mess.
The yellowish cap is the blue wires. All the wires are grouped in colors with twist caps. The yellow one is all by itself.
So no ideas?
I guess I can run a temporary wire all the way to the back light.
There is a black plastic under the whole bottom carriage. Which makes it more difficult to see anything.
I just downloaded the manual for the Jay Flight and the wiring diagram is different. Any thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1552 (Small).JPG  

91 GMC Vandura, G2500, 5.7 Liter, Tiara Motor Coach Package, High-top, Aluminum wheels, Extra Leaf spring added to rear, New Alarm, Interior lights replaced with LED's, Still figuring out Electric on missing or non working items.
2. 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine, 2 Solar panels (220 Watts), 15" n 20" TV Flat Screens, LED strips added.
aztecaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #22

Every thing I find is wired like this:

The trailer has a unique wiring scheme? Why?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Hell, he's in Baja - they would tow it down there with a '72 Pinto Wagon. GO FOR IT!

HAHAHA, with some mattresses strapped to the roof and 6 people in the Pinto!
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #24

You can grab a dome light bulb and some spare wire (alligator clips make it easier) and make a test light in a few seconds- just don't let it stay on because the dome bulbs get HOT. Makes it easy to test, assuming the end of the wire you have is getting signal.

Also if you pull the other end (left signal not working?) the wire colors "should" be the same.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecaa
I just downloaded the manual for the Jay Flight and the wiring diagram is different. Any thoughts on this?[/color]
Agriculture trailers with 6-pin connectors pretty much all follow that color scheme. Probably a carry over from that.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #26

I matched what the Manuel says and all the lights work now. The brake light on the left side does not work thou. I even changed the bulbs and still does not work. There are NO back up lights and the yellow wire is for the backup lights. That is why it is not connected on the TT side since no back -up. All very strange.
91 GMC Vandura, G2500, 5.7 Liter, Tiara Motor Coach Package, High-top, Aluminum wheels, Extra Leaf spring added to rear, New Alarm, Interior lights replaced with LED's, Still figuring out Electric on missing or non working items.
2. 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine, 2 Solar panels (220 Watts), 15" n 20" TV Flat Screens, LED strips added.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

My old bass boat used a green and a gray as turn signal colors. On top of that the previous owner had reversed the signals so if somebody stole the trailer it would possibly throw a flag to law enforcement and they would run the plates...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Every thing I find is wired like this:

The trailer has a unique wiring scheme? Why?

Mike
I don't understand WHY this 2008 Jayco is wired this way. Seems very odd and would make it impossible to pull any other 7 pin trailer wired up this way.
I spent the whole day looking for a Brake Controller and not only found one but the whole wiring with 7 pin receptacle. I found it at a junkyard on a Chevy Silverado and removed it myself front to back.Then I found a pretty honest guy who allowed me to have it installed exactly the way I wanted it. What we did was only connect the BLUE and RED wire from the 7 pin all the way up to the front battery and the brake controller. Since I already have the 4 pin spliced into the 7 pin cord on the TT, I wanted to be able to pull trailers that had 4 pins with normal wiring setups.
Now I need to make sure the BLACK wire on the TT which is RED coming out of the Van connects to the same pin on the TT. And even the Blue wire line up when plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
7 Pin Wiring Normal and abnormal (Small).jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #29

I made it!!!.....I drove average speed in Mex 30-45 miles an hour and in the states 40-55 miles an hour. I had to put the Van in low 2 to go up those hills and then Drive coming down, even overdrive a couple of times. The Van drank gas like no tomorrow and I watched the gas needle move in slow motion. Wow!
I got stopped at 2 military check points and they went through everything. At the border again they went through everything, 45 mins. It took me forever to get to SD but I did it.
Every time a big truck or regular truck drove by me the Van would swerve, very scary. I was pushing the envelope pulling with the van. My Van needs some sort of stabilizer or air bags in the front. I noticed the van does this without pulling anything. But for now i am done putting money in the van and will put it to sleep and tinker with it while being parked. Time to drive the gas saver car. Thanks for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1603 (Small).JPG   IMG_1587 (Small).JPG  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #30

Glad to hear you made it back safely. Sounds like an experience that you will only do once.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote