Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #11

Okay, so this sorta goes along with my overall plan for the 4x4 conversion. I thought about the V10 alot and getting another van, but I'm not building all inclusive heavy weight SMB. I do want to use some of those ideas though and this will be more like the light infantry,, a way lighter transformer 4x4 version?

Old 11-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #12

Yeah, while the V10 is best, the 5.4L is certainly adequate as long as you keep your build weight down. Definitely the biggest factor IMO is matching your differential ratio (when you do 4x4) for the tire diameter you plan on running.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #13

Garage
imho, if you end up needing to deal with higher than wanted tranny temps, I’d upgrade the tranny cooler before I spent the money on one of the tranny pans. theres a lot of discussion out there regarding both the pan and the cooler mods here and around the net so just do your research. the deciding factor for me was money spent vs reduced temps. higher end tranny coolers are about half the price of a low end tranny pan replacements and typically require about the same amount of time to replace.

I’m still not sure why my trans temps started climbing, but I can only assume it was all the gear we’ve been piling into our rig for camping over the years. after a lot of reading about how to deal with it I upgraded the cooler and brought my temps down about 30 degrees.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #14

If you incur higher trans temps while towing on flat ground I would by all means add a tranny cooler as Shenrie suggests. My thought is that a larger trans cooler also introduces more heat into the engine radiator and engine compartment. The bigger pan adds 20 to 25% more fluid with some cooling benefits.

While towing our 7,500# travel trailer I only had increased tranny temps on hill climbs. The deeper pan and increased fluid capacity allowed us to get to the top of big hills before it would get into the danger temps zone. With almost 90k miles it wouldn't hurt to have a tranny shop drop the pan and peek inside regardless of what route you take.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #15

If you incur higher trans temps while towing on flat ground I would by all means add a tranny cooler as Shenrie suggests. My thought is that a larger trans cooler also introduces more heat into the engine radiator and engine compartment. The bigger pan adds 20 to 25% more fluid with some cooling benefits.

While towing our 7,500# travel trailer I only had increased tranny temps on hill climbs. The deeper pan and increased fluid capacity allowed us to get to the top of big hills before it would get into the danger temps zone. With almost 90k miles it wouldn't hurt to have a tranny shop drop the pan and peek inside regardless of what route you take.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #16

Garage
i don’t even really tow much. Just have a heavy rig I guess. I only exceed 200 on long. slow, steep hills when it’s over 90 degrees, yet even with a heat generating 7.3, I rarely reach temps that concern with coolant or oil. Which is weird to me, but I’ll take it, lol. I choose the cooler over the pan on recommendations and results that others claimed with pans vs coolers. I’m sure it varies greatly though.

Either way totally agree on dropping the pan if for no other reason then replacing the filter. Especially if you don’t know the last time it was done.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #17

Ok thanks for the replies,,