Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer Builds?

Anyone here building their own trailers? For the cost of these "off-road" trailers, it makes sense. Going to modify one my buggy trailers into an off-road trailer (single axle so probably make it a three-place motorcycle trailer that can convert into a storage box...or both). Problem is, besides wiring up my new shop for my welder, hubs and wheels. Think it makes sense to find 8-bolt hubs so I can run the same wheel/tire combo on the trailer as my SMB (the little 13s or 14s that on are there now just won't cut it). That way the need for a spare tire is already covered. So, if you have any good shots of a quality home-built off-road trailer, I'm all eyes.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Team

You might want to look at military surplus M416 trailers or one of the derivatives as a starting point for customizing your own trailer.

http://groups.msn.com/M416

Herb
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I suggest to check out the Teardrop and tiny trailers forums...you can get lost for days reading about them

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=39

Here is a member design I like....

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #4

Always loved those military trailers. Those are fetching a hefty randsome last time I checked E-Hell for one.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Here is a trailer I built for wheeling and camping. The wheels were interchangeable with my old jeep liberty diesel. It pulls great behind the SMB too. Time for new paint though.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

Garage
is that your new vanity plate in the avatar? Love it!

-d
Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #7

thanks for noticing, just made a post about it in show and tell.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
And...the trailer is nice too...

If someone wanted to look for a military trailer for sale, where would they look?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Either Government auctions, or Government surplus resellers are a good place to start.

Herb
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #10

Well, started my trailer build (rebuild). Mad because I realized I didn't take any before pics of the trailer. Trailer is/was a single axle, two railed/tracked trailer used for hauling a dune buggy. Clearly, it has had several incarnations through its life. Overbuilt, but not well thought out. Right now, its too heavy (the rails/tracks are 6" structural steel which are very, very heavy). I've been busy going through Sawzall blades like crazy removing the ineffective cross members and the rails. Outter structure and new cross members will be comprised of 3x1.25" channel (of the outter structure, only the trailing end of the trailer needs to be replaced). Will build three bolt on motorcycle wheel chocks (sure I could buy them, but I'm going to have all this extra steel I've cut from the trailer, so I guess I can claim I'm recycling). Since it was a dune buggy trailer, the axle is further back than regular trailers (bacuase of the rear engines in buggies). Not going to extend the deck or move the axle. Since primarily a motorcycle trailer, I'll just keep the bikes further back. Thus, the front "V" will be fairly long. Long enough for a pair of dump cans and/or a tool box and long enough to keep from hitting the SMB spare or box when backing. Long trailers tow and back nicely, so I'm good with that. Usable deck area will only be approx 6.5' wide by 7-8' long. Currently has 13" wheels and a missing fender (lost in Baja during a blow out a few years back). Going with 15" wheels (w/one spare -fortunately the same bolt pattern as our horse trailer (which doesn't have a spare). Picked up new fenders. Ramp will store underneath like the setup on my Big Tex car trailer. Deck will likely be brown treated 5/4 deck lumber. Yea, wood is heavy, but have you checked alumn prices lately? Thought it might be fun to do a patchwork deck of old alumn signs available through our county's road department, but I'm just not that artsy (or a member of the Partridge Family). Thought about going with 8-lug hubs and a pair of like 16" wheels and tires as my SMB, but that's a lot more work and $. Will post up a couple of pics of the mess later.