Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

WANTED: Ideas for carrying surfboards, bike, and SUP's

Have you thought about a small enclosed trailer?

It might be easier / cheaper than designing your living space around the toys.

aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #12

Re: WANTED: Ideas for carrying surfboards, bike, and SUP's

I have thought about putting it in the same box on the top that I might build for my SUP's and surfboards. It seems like it would be a hassle to get it up and down from there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave
Guys, thanks for your input! I appreciate it. If I was doing a little trip then I'd have no problem putting my bike and boards on racks outside but I'm going to be traveling full-time so its important everything is stored inside something and locked. I wouldn't be able to use those SS couplings because its full-suspension, but dang, what a great idea for a conventional bike! (Had no idea anything like that existed.)

So I'm back to some kind of box for the SUP's and maybe for the bike too if I don't get a Class C with the overhead.
Another idea for a class C, if you go that route, is one of those L shaped bike racks/hangers that goes way up on the rear ladder. Pretty out of reach for petty theives, but of course I realize that is relative. You could also put it up top and, if you were careful about clearances, it would be pretty hard to even see up there.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #13

I really don't want to tow anything because then I'd be limited to where I can stealth park when I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
Have you thought about a small enclosed trailer?

It might be easier / cheaper than designing your living space around the toys.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #14

WANTED: Ideas for carrying surfboards, bike, and SUP's

Inno sells a lockable surfboard/SUP/kayak carrier you might be interested in:

http://www.innoracks.com/product/water/kayak-canoe/

On a long journey, I put my surfboards in padded board bags to prevent damage, and stand up paddle boards are fairly bomb proof provided you're not hucking them off the roof.

I've seen some cool interior racks and board compartments, but length is an issue, they don't hold more than a couple boards, and it eats up a hell of a lot of space. I'm a firm believer in getting gear up and out of the way. I fear a rooftop box would force you to remove the fins of your boards so they'll fit. The last thing I want to be doing on the beach is screwing the fins back in.
ghoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

There is a van for sale with internal surfboard racks and an asile, but I have no idea your budget.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #16

Some creep stole my LOCKED Yakima racks last year so I'm not really confident about keeping all my precious boards out in the open. Yeah, they just lifted the whole thing off of my car. I was thankful they were cool enough to not have destroyed the roof of my car in the process.

You are right about the fin thing but all my boards are twins and quads so fin length isn't an issue. My huge flat water SUP has a big single fin but since I don't use it very often then I probably wouldn't mind screwing and unscrewing the fin for that board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoSt
Inno sells a lockable surfboard/SUP/kayak carrier you might be interested in:

http://www.innoracks.com/product/water/kayak-canoe/

On a long journey, I put my surfboards in padded board bags to prevent damage, and stand up paddle boards are fairly bomb proof provided you're not hucking them off the roof.

I've seen some cool interior racks and board compartments, but length is an issue, they don't hold more than a couple boards, and it eats up a hell of a lot of space. I'm a firm believer in getting gear up and out of the way. I fear a rooftop box would force you to remove the fins of your boards so they'll fit. The last thing I want to be doing on the beach is screwing the fins back in.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
There is a van for sale with internal surfboard racks and an asile, but I have no idea your budget.
Do you have a photo of it or a link please?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #18

I had several bikes locked up on my roof. My Yeti 575 got swiped from the Thule rack which the crooks were able to pry open. Also had some nice bikes locked into the Yak racks and they did not get taken. That said.... MTBs always get locked inside now when the van is left unattended. A whole rooftop of downhill bikes can cost more new than a new SMB!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #19

Yeah no kidding! I tried about 20 bikes before I bought my mountain bike and even though I got a killer deal buying it slightly used, to replace it would cost me $3300 - so inside is where it must be stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I had several bikes locked up on my roof. My Yeti 575 got swiped from the Thule rack which the crooks were able to pry open. Also had dome nice bikes locked into the Yak racks and they did not get taken. That said.... MTBs always get locked inside now when the van is left unattended. A whole rooftop of downhill bikes can cost more new than a new SMB!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Do you have a photo of it or a link please?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9634&hilit=surf