Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #21

No doubt they ran into some weather along the way, but one day late isn't bad. Actually, since it's 25 degs outside, I'm fine with waiting a day or so to install. I got as far as removing the old mirrors before my hands froze and I had to retreat inside for a hot beverage (Mexican coffee works really well)

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #22

Garage
In a PM recently this is some info I sent regarding the install:

In short, there are several methods to making it happen. The method I use involves removing the upper boss/mount on the new mirrors to make them into a basic 3 post design. I used a sawzall to remove the stud in the aluminum casting and a grinder with a flap disc to flatten the mount so it doesn't protrude. I then remove the studs in the mounts and use bolts (m6-1.0x15 and 25mm lenths) along with fender washers mounted from inside the door skin to distribute load. The sail fin trim covers the hardware nicely. Tweeters in this location may need attention as there is a possibility for clearance issues (depth).

I then hold up the new mirror and line up the mounts on the new base to the doors; the upper and lower mounts will line up to the current holes in the doors. The holes need to be opened up to allow clearance for the base of the casting at the mounts to recess into the door. I will guess and say the holes need to be about 1". I use a step drill from Harbor Freight (don't judge...I use nice tools but these are genuinely hard to beat!) to make that happen and it goes quick. Prep the uncoated metal once done to keep them from rusting. I believe the lower center mount lines up with the current middle hole on the older door as well; same principle for opening the hole applies.

I used aftermarket mirrors and had to use the plug on the old mirrors for the power functions to work properly. Once you are ready with the holes, apply the foam gasket to back of the mirror bases and hold them up to the door. Take the m6-1.0 bolts and fender washers and install them from the inside of the door panel with a generous amount of red loctite to make sure they do not back out.

I have used this method on two vans now and have a ton of offroad time on them and have experienced zero issues to this point. I actually expected them to fly off in short order, but they have struck Joshua Trees at speed on the Mojave Road and survived. I would highly recommend a set of bolt on C-Betr convex blind spot mirrors as they make up for the lack of visibility.

CBetr Blind Spot Mirrors – US Made since 2001

I will shoot some better photos tomorrow, but this sums it up. I'd say each door could be completed in about 30 minutes max even with the plug swap, but I am pretty familiar with it so that time may change for a first timer.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
424-250-0270
Attached Thumbnails
20160316_141201.jpg   20160316_141149.jpg   20160316_141223.jpg   20160316_141235.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I would highly recommend a set of bolt on C-Betr convex blind spot mirrors as they make up for the lack of visibility.

CBetr Blind Spot Mirrors – US Made since 2001

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
424-250-0270
I have to agree with Scott about the CBetr Mirrors. I originally saw a picture of them on one of Scott's posts and thought they looked great. Having driven rigs and used similar style mirrors I thought these would be perfect. I got a set and the way they tuck into the support arms of the extendable mirrors is seamless. here are no unsightly protrusions. The best part is that they far out perform the factory convex mirror. Now that they are on my van I can't imagine not having them. They are a very inexpensive add-on that IMOP everyone with trailer mirrors would greatly benefit from.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #24

Thanks for the info Scott. I agree, once you have done one, the next one is really quick. The key is having a step drill bit that makes enlarging the holes easy. I'll finish mine by next week and post a couple photos. Thanks again..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #25

Still have any mirrors available?
JJ72Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #26

No more mirrors from that batch left.

Here is the deal going forward:

You can buy brand new sets on EBay for around $160 and can include free shipping.

The used sets I had are a bit of a pita to deal with, especially to ship. Ask the guys who received the boxes I sent out.

I can get some more sets next week but I will not ship them. Local pick up in San Francisco or Orange County only. $115 per set cash or PayPal.

These are OEM power mirrors, manual extension. They are tested to be working when delivered and will have some scuff marks present on the plastic housings. The mirror surfaces will be at least 95% perfect (whatever that means), definitely no large or medium scratches but they may not be 100% perfect as they are used.

Let me know asap if you are in and post or PM any questions. Thanks!! Ray
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Let me know asap if you are in and post or PM any questions. Thanks!! Ray
I'm in for a set, please. Local pickup!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #28

Will do 😊 Czar. Thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #29

I'm in for a set local pick up in OC. Thanks Ray!!
PBR Overall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #30

I'm in for a set, OC pick up.
Thanks!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote