Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

1984 4x4 Diesel Sportsmobile, For Sale (again): $17,000

Hello Everyone who was interested last fall when I backed out on selling my van... sorry about the hiccup. Incase you are concerned- I will not back out this time, it was just hard to let this van go! I really thought it would work our to keep this awesome van, but we need to sell it for financial reasons. Along those same lines, I haven't had time or funds to take the van on any trips this winter, but I have driven it a number of times and have a bit more information to share about it. This new information is reflected in the updated description below. I have pics to email to anyone who is interested.

I have left my asking price at $17,000, but let's be honest- I will take the first reasonable cash offer.

Thanks August

1984 4x4 Ford E-350 (1 ton) Sportsmobile: 6.9 liter Diesel V8 w/ Hypermax Garret Turbo & C6 Auto 3 speed transmission.

This is a true Sportsmobile, with the rv-50 Floor plan. This van is not brand new- it is an ’84. However, you will not find ANY 4x4 sportsmobile in similar shape for even close to the price.

Features:
• 4x4 system is a Pathfinder conversion, and a DANA 60 in front.
• Garret Turbo: only 6,000 miles.
• Engine: 6.9L Diesel with only 50,000 miles (purchased from http://www.gotengines.com as a “certified used engine meeting all manufactures original specs”.
• Wheels & Tires:?(5) 17” Dick Cepek wheels (17") with 10 ply, 31" Cooper Hercules A/T tires, with 6k miles. Spare tire is used, but in decent shape. Very nice set of wheels and tires!
• Custom welded bumper- very beefy and it looks great. The bumper has a built-in 10HP (6500W) generator. Yes, built-in and it is well thought out. Includes approx. 2.5 gall of gas storage. Generator plugs directly in to provide AC power to the van. New and in great shape.
• The generator has110 & 220 output and only 2 hrs of runtime (brand new generator).
• Finish: The van is coated with a 50/50 blend of SpeedLiner and clear coat. It is amazing. It has the shine to it you want to have from paint, but it has the durability you simply cannot get from anything other than speedliner. The texture adds to the vans character, it has less road noise, better insulation, and frankly its one of a kind. It is bombproof coating for backcountry exploring, no more cowboy pinstripes. The undercoat is solids oil enamel (gloss black). Both the paint and undercoat are less than 6k mi old.
• On Board Storage: 2 under carrage fuel tanks, aprox 18 gallons each. 1 onboard water tank, approx 5 gallons, 6 stow away compartments (3 in the doors, three on the wall), 1 'coat' closet, one hardware closet, undersink storage (not much left after water tank and heater) and one large underseat cabinet.

• Light bar with (4) 100W KC Daylight clones- very bright and switched in pairs (two outside and two outside are grouped). These are mounted on a thule bar.
• Custom welded full roof rack. Made of light gauge steel pipe.
• Sink and water w/ 5 or 7 gallon tank Travels either 4 adults, or 2 adults 3 kids. (seat belts for 5). Sleeps either 4. There are two beds, the pop up, and the lower fold out.
• 110 wiring and outlets throughout.
• IATO Power Manager (12 volt charging, and inverting system). The batteries under the hood are not connected when the key is off.
• Separate onboard 12 volt battery (under Fridge)- Brand NEW deep cycle marine battery.
• New stereo installed with MP3 player plug in.
• Interior light bars throughout, onboard fridge (110 v)
• Interior is in good shape, including pop-up top canvas.
• Privacy curtains.
• Captains chairs.
• Service manuals for the engine and turbo and a few spare parts, filters gaskets, etc.
• New (less than 3k miles): alternator, belts, RV battery, glowplugs, fuel filter, oil filter, thermostat.

I bought this van earlier last summer and have not had a chance to put many miles on it, just one trip to Idaho and a couple drives up and down our valley here (30 to 60 miles each).

Full disclosure of all I know that is or may be an issue:
• The reason the engine only has 50k on it is because I had to replace the engine it came with. The previous owner had miss-diagnosed a lack of power as needing a turbo when in fact the injection pump was failing. Additionally he told me the incorrect maximum turbo operating temp. The result was the engine ran hot, I didn’t know it because I was running below the maximum temp he told me, and the engine metled down. The good news for the next buyer is that I had the 50k (used engine) installed, which should greatly extend the life of the van.
• The van runs great. I have only two caveats to that: one is that like most older diesels, it hates cold morning starts (if I were keeping it I would replace the magnetic oil pan heater with an inline water block heater). I had some starting issues because of an old fuel filter that had been left in line and never changed (I fixed this, there was no need for two fuel filters in series). While diagnosing this a local mechanic took it for a test drive and stated he doesn’t believe the turbo is giving full boost. So, my other caveat is that possibly the turbo doesn’t provide full horsepower that it should. If so, this is actually a good thing- more HP would not hurt. I talked with the turbo manufacture engineers and they were extremely helpful, and informed me it is one of two things: an vacuum/exhaust leak or the fuel pump needs to be adjusted. Neither are expensive to address- if the turbo is not producing full boost. To diagnosis this a $65 boost gauge should be installed.
• Cruise control doesn’t reliably hold speed. This is very common on this era Ford. I believe a replacement unit is roughly $250.
• Over the winter I noticed there is a low spot in the roof. It appears that the previous owner realized this and patched it with sort of a gooey paint. There have been no leaks, but I am suspicious of the longterm durability and would recommend a legitimate fiberglass repair.

I hate to sell it, but financially we need to. Please, serious offers only and cash only. Contact me via email at justonaugust@gmail.com (preferred method), or cell 970.275.3603. Asking $17,000 OBO.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00405.jpg   DSC00411.jpg   P6200148.jpg  

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

Re: 1984 4x4 Diesel Sportsmobile, For Sale (again): $17,000

where is the van ?
how many original miles? (ie the rest of the vehicle minus the newer engine?)

thanks
panick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

The van is in Crested Butte, Colorado.

The clock only have 5 digits, but from the records I have, I am pretty sure the total miles are 130,666.

August
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #4

I remember seeing this on craigslist with surfboards on it... that was a year or two ago, wow bummer about the engine. Good luck, you should dig up those old photos that were taken at night, it really made it shine!!!
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

I love this van!!! bump for a great lookin van
chromekid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #6

Thanks! I've never been able to part with it, so I am still the proud owner of this beast.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by august
Thanks! I've never been able to part with it, so I am still the proud owner of this beast.
If I had the money I'd be all over it but sadly I don't so I have to slowly convert my 2000 E350 into the sportsmobile i can't afford
chromekid01 is offline   Reply With Quote