Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

1987 Ford Sportsmobile for sale

I've lurked/used the forum searching for answers/help/solutions but haven't posted much. We'll see what the reception is to maybe my third proper post being the sale of my van . On with it though I go...

1987 Ford Sportsmobile, built on an E150, 2wd, I get around 16 mpg on the highway and I am guessing about 12 mpg in town. I'm not sure exactly which plan it is but has pop top, gaucho bed, swivel seats, electric fridge, two burner stove, furnace with thermostat, sink but no permanent water tanks, 4 cabinets = lots of storage, 85W solar panel (I used this to connect to a Goal Zero Yeti, the Yeti I plan to keep for my new van).

163k miles on body, new re-manufactured Jasper transmission and engine. Transmission was done in the Fall of 2012 and has 32k. Engine was done in May of 2015 and has 6.5k miles on it. Replaced the catalytic converter and new front brakes done in July. I have all records; from Sportsmobile, maintenance and fuel fills from new (except for one I missed last winter)

Known issues:

1 - I was rear ended two winters ago and took the insurance money to climb in Peru instead of repairing the dent. Rear doors open and close (ie - function well as doors) but there is a leak where water can get in here. I typical have left a towel there to soak it up and that has done the trick for me.
2 - Passenger side power window broke the day I bought this van. Not sure what the issue is and haven't looked into it much as I am generally sitting in the driver's seat.

I am the second owner of this van and it runs and drives great. I am selling because I bought a 1973 4x4, hi-top E300 to do a home build on and I am a one van household.

Please feel free to throw any questions my way, asking $9999/obo. I'm down to donate a $100 to the forum upon sale, I figure it is fair given my secret using over the years . Link to Craigslist ad:

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/5268138646.html

Thanks for looking!!
Cory

Attached Thumbnails
van.jpg   van 1.jpg   van 2.jpg  

CoryQuackenbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Re: 1987 Ford Sportsmobile for sale

Nice looking rig. Good luck with the sale
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #3

So my van is still for sale and having had only 2 folks take any interest I am curious if maybe I have overpriced it or maybe it is just the time of the year (ie - folks aren't buying a 28 year old Sportsmobile as a Christmas present and I should be patient for Spring)? I'm definitely pretty negotiable on the price and am as interested in getting money to value as I am to see it go to someone who is psyched.

I feel that I've heard that installing a new engine & transmission doesn't translate much into resale value but at a certain point it makes more sense for me to pluck those components and look to put them in my new van. At the dame time, I'd hate to just junk this van though.

If any of y'all could please provide feedback I'd appreciate it. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

uh, one issue....my Craigslist ad had expired while I was out of town, haha. the new link:

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/5369976323.html
Old 12-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Unfortunately, you're right in that a new motor and trans doesn't really add value or it may only add very little. I think due to it being the older body style, some body damage, etc., that will turn some buyers away. Your asking price is on the high side (in my opinion) and you may get more action if you lower it a bit.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #6

Thanks Mikracer for the response. I also noticed that my craigslist ad had expired while out of town, which obviously didn't help my cause, haha.

The new link is below with a price drop to $8500 and I am still open to offers from there.

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/5369976323.html
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #7

Nice looking van good luck with the sale.

Re Pricing, we bought our 89 five years ago for $5K. Body is straight and it is still mechanically sound with about half your miles. Have seen similar age rigs in good condition with lower miles than yours for between $6K and $8K.

Re Window, if you can hear the motor run then is is a problem that the plastic gears inside the motor are toast. You can buy the gear set at Rock Auto, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=534&jpid=3, it is an easy fix. Getting the motor out of the door is time consuming but not to difficult. Have done our drivers side and need to do the passenger side.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote