Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

1987 Sportsmobile Ford E250 EB w/ PH - Price reduce $5500

Good morning everyone! I am new to the group but not to a sportsmobile. I have a 1987 Ford E250 extended van with the penthouse. My father had it built by sportsmobile and I guess technically I am the second owner. I grew up taking this on family vacations and going to sporting events.

I just put a new engine in it last summer. For a couple years Ford put the 5L 302 in the E250s. It gets great gas mileage and is in great shape inside. I compete in competition BBQ and pull a BBQ trailer with it and we sleep at the contest (wife and two kids). It is a great unit and I have had many years of camping, traveling and using in BBQ but it struggles due to the size of my trailer.

I am looking to sell as I need to be able to pull my trailer to contests. Due to the height of my home made trailer (over 9 ft tall flat front it is like pulling a wind sail). My dad use to pull a HiLo trailer that weighed 6500 lbs but did not have the wind drag. The new engine runs good and still has 2 years left on transferable warranty. It would be the perfect tow vehicle for BBQ contests if my trailer was not so tall. I am going to post it in the BBQ forum I am on because it is perfect for competition bbq, camping, hunting, fishing, etc....

I am going to get it cleaned from the BBQ contest this week and post pictures. Biggest issue is rust damage along the bottom of the van. Here is a little more on the van.

1987 E250 Econoline Ford Extended
5 Liter 302 Engine with 1000 miles on it.
power windows and locks
4 captains chairs
2 bench seats that make full/queen bed
penthouse with bed
1 rear cabinet with 2 burner stove, refridgerator (12volt/110), sink (water tank removed but could be added back in, and 15 amp power cord and wired with 12 volt lighting all works.
Added leaf to rear leaf springs.
Awning is in good shape.

It has 202,xxx miles on the chasis but with new engine can go another 200k. New main battery and marine battery have been installed. 2 new tires, I know without pictures it is hard to give me your thoughts on what it is worth. With the new engine and interior shape I am thinking $5500. It would need body work but that is just cosmetic.

I will post more pictures soon. You can see my bbq trailer is taller than the penthouse (bbq trailer is red and to the left of the van).
Attached Thumbnails
Mr Moose 2.jpg  

I am a competition BBQ Pitmaster with County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team and
Co-Founder and Executive Director of Operation BBQ Relief a 501c3 non profit.
BBQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

Re: 1987 Sportsmobile Ford E250 EB with Penthouse - $8000?

Here is a link to more pictures of the van.

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z42 ... r%20Moose/

I am a competition BBQ Pitmaster with County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team and
Co-Founder and Executive Director of Operation BBQ Relief a 501c3 non profit.
BBQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Re: 1987 Sportsmobile Ford E250 EB w/ PH - Price reduce $55

Any chance this is still for sale?
Where are you located?

Thanks!
ccmascari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

This was still available a month ago.

http://kansascity.ebayclassifieds.com/t ... d=19978464

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/3324441779.html

I don't know anything about the van or the owner, I've just noticed the ad appearing every so often.

If you end up getting it, my finders fee will be some of that barbecue.
zardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Thanks zardac, the seller got back to me by email. Sadly I'm in NYC and not yet ready to venture more than 500 miles for a purchase.

But that might change in a few weeks if I don't find anything...
ccmascari is offline   Reply With Quote