Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to susswein
1992 quigley 4wd camper van for sale-Poor Man's Sportsmobile

1992 FORD 4WD CAMPER VAN FOR SALE

Summary

1992 Ford E-150 van with Quigley 4wd conversion, raised fiberglass top, and custom camper van interior including fridge, gaucho bed, stove, and solar battery charger. 134,xxx miles on vehicle, but many newer parts, including tires, engine and transmission. Van is located in Southwest Colorado (Durango) and the asking price is $9995.

History

I'm the second owner of this van. The previous owner used it to transport his wheelchair-borne wife to the beaches on the east coast. He had the quigley 4wd system installed when the van was new, along with the fiberglass hi-top. I bought the van a few years ago with 60,000 miles on it, stripped the interior, and rebuilt it to use as a mobile base camp for climbing, rafting, skiing, and kayaking trips. I've had the van north of the arctic circle, and as far south as the southern tip of Baja. I'm only selling it because I bought a diesel van that I plan to convert to run on waste vegetable oil.

Exterior/Mechanical

Engine is a factory rebuilt 5.8L that was installed at 65,000 miles; the transmission was rebuilt at 120,000 miles. I've run synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in this engine since new. See below for a full list of new parts. The quigley 4wd system works flawlessly. The tires are 255/70R15 which are the same diameter as the stock 235/75R15 tires, so the speedometer and transmission shift points are correct, but they're an inch wider, for better handling and support on soft sand. They're mounted on american racing aluminum rims, which can handle larger size tires if you desire (previous owner had 31.5" tires mounted). 2 of the tires are brand new (less than 1000 miles) and the other two have 60-70% of tread remaining. There's a class III receiver hitch and trailor wiring, but I've only towed with it twice (u-haul). If you're interested, I'll include a receiver-mounted bike rack. There are a few minor parking lot dings and scratches, but nothing major. The van has never been in an accident and has a clean CARFAX report. The shocks have been upgraded to Rancho 99000 adjustable shocks, but otherwise the suspension is Quigley standard. There's a Yakima roof rack mounted on the roof which also supports the 15W solar panel. The solar panel supports are mounted UNDER the crossbars, so they don't interfere with carrying a load on the rack.

Interior

Has factory power windows/locks, cruise, and COLD AC. I designed the interior to act as a combination of living space and toy-hauling space, and wanted it to also be able to carry buiding material like 4x8 sheets and 12' wooden studs. The rear 3' of the van is open to provide a place to carry packs, bike, rafts, and large coolers. This cargo area is also open to the space under the gaucho bed, which lets you slide in raft oars, skis, sailboard masts, etc up to 10' long without intruding into the living space. There's an 18" wide aisle open all down the center for occasionally carrying large objects like 4x8 sheets of plywood. Starting at the front, the layout has a power driver's seat and a swivel mounted passenger seat. Behind the driver's seat is a 74" long gaucho bed/couch that opens into a 44" wide bed. In addition to the long open storage space under the gaucho, there's also a hidden compartment which holds the house battery, jack, tools, etc. On the passenger side there's a kitchen module behind the side doors. The kitchen module has an HDPE (cutting board material) countertop and backsplash, 4 removeable drawers, a 12V norcold refrigerator, a propane detector, and storage for the 2 burner coleman propane stove. At the front of the kitchen module there's a fold up shelf that almost doubles the counter space. Behind the kitchen module is a reversible exhaust/ventilation fan. Light is provided from 2 12V fluorescent fixtures (very energy efficient) and a number of small adjustable incandescent fixtures. There's tons of built in storage space including a large compartment over the front seats (which we used for bedding), a bookshelf on the side door, an 8' long shelf running the length of the passenger side near the ceiling, a rear upper storage compartment, and multiple hanging organizers and cup holders.

Electrical System

In addition to the starting battery, there's a separate electrical system to power the fridge, lights, fan, etc. This is powered by a group 27 deep cycle battery which is kept charged by the alternator (through a battery isolator) when the engine is running, and by the solar system. The solar system consists of a 15W Brunton solar panel mounted on the roof and connected to the battery though a solar battery charge controller and monitor, which displays solar input and battery voltage. The solar controller will handle up to 20 amps of power. All electrical loads are distributed through a marine switch/breaker panel with individual circuit breakers for each circuit. There are also 3 12V outlets for plugging in your camera, laptop, etc.

Recent/Major Work Done

134,000 miles: Lube, oil, filter. New thermostat and radiator hoses. Rear brakes, including new drums. Rear differential serviced. 2 new tires. All tires balanced/rotated.

127,000 miles: New starter and alternator

120,000 miles: Transmission rebuilt. New front brakes. New muffler.

65,000 miles: New (rebuilt) engine installed

The Bad

Here's a list of everything I know that's 'wrong'. None of it is major, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive this vehicle as-is to Alaska tomorrow. The turn signals don't turn off by themselves. The cruise control switch is sticky, and sometimes needs to be pressed quite hard to turn it on. There are small seeps from the transfer case and rear engine seal. There's no fluid dripping, and my mechanic advised me that these were normal and not worth worrying about. The carpet shows signs of wear; I would probably replace it if I were keeping the van, and it shouldn't take more than a few hours.

Contact info

Email: steve_susswein@hotmail.com
phone: (801) 694-9217
Asking price: $9995

[/img]

susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to fiddles
off to check out the 92 poor mans sportsmobile

what do you all think about this vehicle? sould i be asking any questions? It's only 70 miles from my house so i thought i would give it a look see. Thanks