Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

1994 gas E250 Sportsmobile for sale

1994 Ford E250 van conversion by Sportsmobile - $12K
Call or text Four 1 Five Too 7 9 Ninety Nine 53
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA. Moving to Portland, OR in late Feb.
  • Mileage: 119,400 miles.
  • Camburg off-road suspension and 4” body lift (I’m guessing at the height - I didn’t do that work).
  • Sportsmobile Penthouse and RV conversion appliances
  • 20 gallon potable water tank
  • 5 gallon grey water tank
  • Newish water pump (4 or 5 years, but fairly little use since then)
  • Shower attachments available at rear doors need new hoses. Water intake hose to the tank also needs replacing.
  • 110V inverter and at least 6 household plugs around the interior.
  • Water heater
  • Furnace
  • Carbon monoxide, Propane, and fire detectors
  • Fridge - 12V, 110V, and propane powered - too old to be worth mentioning except for replacement. Only 1.5 cu feet of space with an icebox
  • Lots of cupboard space.
  • Full size spare under the van.
  • City water and power attachments
  • Configured for solar, but the panel it came with has aged to the point of uselessness.
  • Brand new ball joints and front wheel bearings - I just had the front end rebuilt in Dec 2018).
  • New fuel pump and filter Feb 2018.
  • Tires have 2 round-trip cross country treks on them.
  • The side door only opens from the inside - Ford cargo van door mechanisms have a well-known defect in the latch release which has a $40 aftermarket fix. I disassembled the mechanism to confirm the problem, but haven’t ordered the repair kit.

I’ve owned it for 8 or 9 years and 40-50,000 miles, and have not made much use of the internal RV appliances - furnace, hot water heater, shower, stove, sink, etc, and some of them need service as a result. The stove and sink work just fine. I installed a new water pump a few years back and haven’t used much water since. The propane tank is in fine condition - never any sign of a leak or regulation problem. Enough volume that I’ve only filled it a couple of times since I owned the van. The furnace doesn’t light, after 10 years of disuse. The shower needs a new hose, and I don’t even know how to turn the hot water heater on, but I have little reason to think there’s anything substantially wrong with any of them.

Sleeps 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs quite comfortably. The ‘penthouse’ is really a fantastic addition to any van, making it trivial to comfortably catch Z’s at any rest area or truck stop with no real setup time, and allowing full height standing while using the van as a daytime space or kitchen when camped. It has seat belts for 3, but space to seat 5 if you add 2 more belts to the couch. Lots of cupboard space. The couch folds flat and fills the center aisle when configured for sleeping.

Will run comfortably at 70mph all day long on the freeway, but handling gets a little squirrely much above that speed, and fuel efficiency is 10-15% improved if you drop down to 60 or 65mph. When working, the furnace will keep you warm down to ludicrously low temperatures, but a dog or two asleep downstairs works almost as well.

The chassis and drivetrain are in fine shape. The van drives really well and handles better than you’d expect, especially given the 10,000 pound weight of the vehicle. The penthouse springs (garage door springs, basically) could probably use replacing - it’s a little hard for my girlfriend to lift it herself, but she can manage it in a pinch. There’s certainly no concern that it won’t stay up once elevated, though. The penthouse roof is rated for the weight of several people - you can walk around up there with no trouble - and there’s a Yakima roof rack.