Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
You are saying the 1998 is "pretty slow" compared to the later engines? Can you expand on that statement? In what way? We also own a 2003 7.3 Excursion. To me the van has more go.
Excursion 7.3's have an intercooler, where the 7.3 vans do not.

2003 Excursion (7.3L)
250HP @ 2600rpm
525HP @ 1600rpm

1998 Van (7.3L)
225HP @ 3,00rpm
450HP @ 2,000rpm

If your van has more "go" there's either something wrong with your Excursion, or there are some significant gearing differences between the two.

Herb

Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #12

I'm afraid to ask but here goes...

I'm in Southern California and diesel vans like mine are not common. I appreciate forum members comments and realize there is great experience among you. I may not be fully knowledgeable regarding vehicle stats but here goes:
As far as my van seeming to have more go than the excursion could it be my van interior is bare thereby much lighter?
And oh boy, the big question is what do you think is a fair value price for my van? In California?
Thank you.
Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
And oh boy, the big question is what do you think is a fair value price for my van? In California?
Thank you.
I always look at eBay completed listings.. gives you a good idea. And as for CA, there might be a small premium over other non-snowy places, but not a ton.

Closest recent sale to your van is probably this one:
Ford E Series Van E 350 Super | eBay

That said, put it out on CL and see what you can get..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
Site Team

I didn't intend to rain on your asking price. For quite a few people, they'll pay a premium for a 7.3L. As Rallypanam mentioned, post if for sale at the asking price and go from there.

Me, I love my7.3L Excursion.

Herb
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #15

First off... Welcome.

Curious who your diesel mechanic is in San Diego? I found one but he moved.

Regarding your van, here's my thoughts. As I just sold a 1995 SMB with 140K on the clock.

1. Pictures. Just like Craigslist. Everyone wants to see pics, pics, pics
2. Sliding door. Many people wanting to convert their van want the double doors.
3. Year. I think it's mental. Just like buying something for $9.99 vs $10.00. Only a penny difference, but in someone's head it is. Just like your van, people wanting diesels don't think much of vans older than 2000.
4. Offers. Offers are like opinions, everybody has one. But who's actually is worth anything? The person with cash in hand. I listed my van here and craigslist. It actually sold to a local buyer via Craigslist. I had three people in the first 24 hours that said, "they really wanted to buy my van." Of course once they showed up, they proceeded to low ball me. Anyway, I'm digressing...

If you're serious about selling. Post up some pics. Maybe an add on Craigslist.

Me? I'd be interested in your van if it had the double doors, not slider. (too much noise getting in/out of the van while camping). Funny though we're considering an E350 or Excursion...
Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

San Diego Deisel mechanic

Thanks for the advice!

East County Diesel. Mitch and Bobby.

Interesting about the double doors. I see how the noise with the side slider could be an issue. My preference with the slider is it is easier to get in and out in a parking space without the swinging double doors.

I am really fond of this van. In it now at the beach about to go surfing. I love it b/c I can change in private lol
Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote