Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

2 Ford Alcoa-style aluminum 8x6.5 wheels

I needed two more of these wheels to replace a damaged wheel and also give me a matching spare. I bought a full set so now I can unload two. These are used and each has a slightly depressed are where a wheel weight wore into the aluminum. (Pointed out in each photo.) there is also a circular scratch around the innermost surface.

The only pair of same wheels on eBay are $190, which is my reference point. I would like to sell each for $150 or the both for $250 (plus shipping from 37075).

There are photos in my "stuff for sale" album. I will insert them in this post tomorrow when not on a mobile device.

bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

Pics as promised

Old 09-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Garage
I really dig those wheels!
But wow....are they really only 6.5" wide?

Would have thought they were the same 7" width as the factory E-series steel wheels.
Wondering what maximum width tire those could accept. (265's?)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

I've got 285 on mine

Worst part of these wheels is how expensive the center cap is when you loose one. I've lost 3 in the past few years.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Garage
Yeah, bummer about those OEM center caps. From what I understand, it's the edges of the actual lug nuts that retain them somehow? So the center caps clip/snap on from the **outside** of the wheel, and only after the wheel is fully mounted/lug nuts torqued down?

I wonder if (with a little bit of machining work) the center cap opening could be enlarged slightly so that it would accept the cheap/common aftermarket center caps that most other wheels for these vans accept. (ATX, American Racing, Cragar, etc....) Those center caps all "poke through" from the **inside of the wheel** before the wheel is bolted on, so they can't be lost.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #6

The wheels are 8inches wide.

The 8 on 6.5 refers to the lug spacing. Guys running the dana60 up front or the sterling rears will generally have the 8 on 170mm that ford switched to in 99(?) for the f series trucks where axles are pulled for the conversions. Prior to that time the truck and van wheels were both 8 on 6.5. These came from an 1996 f250.

Locking hubs in front and a full float rear negate any concerns I might have about center caps being pricey.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Garage
Ah! My bad. I haven't had my coffee today yet.....shoulda noticed that the 8x6.5 was a lug pattern spec and not the OD/width spec.

FWIW --- this thread (and my mental mixup) caused me to go back down the interwebz rabbit holes to figure out what their actual specs are listed as (including backspacing.)

And --- I don't think these wheels are 8" wide.
They might measure 8" at their widest outboard surfaces, but in terms of standard wheel width measuring protocol (which is the maximum width measured INSIDE the tire-lip-mounting flange of the wheel) they are 7" wide --- just like the OEM E-series steel wheels.

From this thread (if it's correct):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-offset.html

Specs:
16x7
4.25" back spacing
8 on 6.5 bolt pattern
Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #8

Wow... Thank you so much for the effort. You called it, 8" was based on a tape outside to outside.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Alcoa wheels

I bought a set from Rockauto.com. They were reconditioned but look like new and were reasonably priced. Not sure they still have them but it's worth a shot. Good luck with tour scavenger hunt. Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaine View Post
I needed two more of these wheels to replace a damaged wheel and also give me a matching spare. I bought a full set so now I can unload two. These are used and each has a slightly depressed are where a wheel weight wore into the aluminum. (Pointed out in each photo.) there is also a circular scratch around the innermost surface.

The only pair of same wheels on eBay are $190, which is my reference point. I would like to sell each for $150 or the both for $250 (plus shipping from 37075).

There are photos in my "stuff for sale" album. I will insert them in this post tomorrow when not on a mobile device.

Wow... I had a set of the same rims.. from my F350
we put them on craigs list and were luck to get 200 bux for the set...

Had a set of the older ones that were elongated openings and the same guy gave me 150 for them

Had I known I guess I should have listed them on the web here... sorry...
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote