Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Surprised at the limited responses so I'm wondering if I'm a bit too high on price.
$48,000 0 0%
$45,000 0 0%
$42,500 2 13.33%
$40,000 8 53.33%
Keep it. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdood View Post
I voted 40k as it was the lowest number up there. Seems like everyone thinks their homemade conversion is worth 50k+ on Craigslist these days, but also seems like the folks voting with their wallet think otherwise thus why I keep seeing the same vans over and over and over and over listed.

That said, folks go ga ga for the 7.3 and it only takes one buyer so maybe you can leave it on the market for a few months and see if someone bites.
Even with the 7.3, and this is said as someone that wanted and was waiting for that (or the 6.6 duramax), that price is too high for what the van is.

02 van with low mileage 7.3 -> 10k - 15k (at best given the "gaga for 7.3" trend)
4x4 conversion -> 15k
Credit for minimal work done (house battery, pop-top etc) -> 10k (being generous)

your best case value on that van is 40k. And even there I would not have paid you 40k even being one of the referenced "7.3 holdouts". The most I would have paid for this van with its current setup is 30k. I paid less than 40 for my 7.3, with a poptop, 300AH agm batteries, aluminess EVERYTHING, custom roof rack, warn winch etc etc etc. It has more miles but on a 7.3 anything less than 200k is more or less equivalent in my mind and I value other costs and upgrades with a bit more weight.

In your case for me to get equivalent to what I got, which is what I wanted and needed, I would have to invest a minimum of 10k beyond whatever I paid you for your van (solar panels and related equipment, aluminess bumpers/ladder/rack, 12v fridge, possibly more AGM battery -- not sure how much is in this rig as its not listed directly etc) so the max I would have paid for this would be 30k and likely would have wanted to be closer to 25k.

so I guess your options are lower it to 40k and hope for the best or keep it.

renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #12

I need to clarify. 86scotty and Bigdood. I've had it listed on Expedition Portal for about a month, only getting more serious about it as spring is here and weather brings out those looking for rigs. So, not in a rush really but yes, want it gone.
As for price, I kinda thought $50 might be high but figured what the hell. People, including me, love the 7.3 and for good reason. Most rigs I see fully kitted out are in the $60+ range unless they're all clapped out. Mine definitely is not.
At any rate, this is my 4th van, second by Sportsmobile, and the pop-top is key. I'm more minimalist I guess though.
Regardless, its for sale and I'm open to offers but I think $40 is low, hope so anyway. Time will tell. Thanks for the feedback to all!
18 F-150 Coyote
MattMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #13

One thing to remember is with all the attention that sprinters and transits are getting with 4x4 systems and other aftermarket stuff, the market for econolines is slowly shrinking. There will always be people who want the superior off road capability of the econoline and the simplicity, but many people who would have been shopping for an econoline 3-5 years ago can now get a sprinter/transit. Those vans are much better on road but would get smoked by an econoline in the rough stuff. However, the number of people who truly need the econolines capability is small. Plus, when faced with the idea of shelling out $50k in cash vs putting $20k down and making payments on a 4x4 SMB, far more people can afford to go the financing route.

Your van is awesome but you either need to be very patient (months of patience) or lower the price. Even the fully built with everything, 7.3 and low miles vans take several months to sell for more than $50k.

Everyone here would say keep it!
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMoo View Post
I need to clarify. 86scotty and Bigdood. I've had it listed on Expedition Portal for about a month, only getting more serious about it as spring is here and weather brings out those looking for rigs. So, not in a rush really but yes, want it gone....

Gotcha, I did not know it had been listed on Expo for awhile. I'm surprised I haven't seen it there.

Spring is your advantage here. It'll move at some price.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #15

The market for older vans is taking a hit with the new sprinters/transits/promasters. The majority of folks out there looking aren't looking for a solid axle 4x4 with low range. The market you're targeting, especially with a minimal interior, is pretty damn small in comparison. I also agree with the math above, you're closer to 30k with 40k as a ceiling if you get lucky. I live 20 minutes from you and flew to CA to get a van instead. Haggling a few grand, sure. Haggling 10k+ and it's a pass.

As a reference I just sold a 52k mile Vanagon with an engine swap, high top, and camper build out. Once you start nearing 20k people start looking at financing a newer van instead of cash for an older van. Good luck.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
The market for older vans is taking a hit with the new sprinters/transits/promasters. The majority of folks out there looking aren't looking for a solid axle 4x4 with low range. The market you're targeting, especially with a minimal interior, is pretty damn small in comparison. I also agree with the math above, you're closer to 30k with 40k as a ceiling if you get lucky. I live 20 minutes from you and flew to CA to get a van instead. Haggling a few grand, sure. Haggling 10k+ and it's a pass.

As a reference I just sold a 52k mile Vanagon with an engine swap, high top, and camper build out. Once you start nearing 20k people start looking at financing a newer van instead of cash for an older van. Good luck.
I appreciate the input but a Vanagon is not an applicable reference, might as well be an Apples to Grapes comparison. Synchros go for what seems like ludicrous money. Just my $.02 but the new vans just look goofy to me, especially the promasters and transits. But if you want a 2wd pavement queen then by all means. The sprinters are pretty legit though but good luck getting a 4wd empty shell for less than $50k!
18 F-150 Coyote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #17

Price drop out of the clouds. Asking $44,000 and motivated to get it to a new home. Summer's coming and the Datsun needs some love to get out of the garage!
18 F-150 Coyote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

Auction on eBay at $35k no reserve. Somebody find it a new home. You won't be disappointed.
SMB auction listing
18 F-150 Coyote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #19

SOLD SOLD
18 F-150 Coyote