Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSponge View Post
Does it have a heater installed? Didn’t see it in the ad. Thanks
Thanks for the help, Herb!

Yes, it has a 12000 BTU Suburban propane furnace with thermostat. The furnace sits between the Trojan house batteries and the fresh water tank in the passenger-side rear under the lower bed.

lashito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

There isn't a lot of info here on GTRVs, but they are a GREAT product, too bad the original shop isn't making any more of them . Here is my experience having owned a 1999 GTRV and a 2006 SMB RB50:

• Cabinets are made of high quality plywood, not the pressed particle board SMB uses.
• Lower bed is a true queen side bed, SMB is only a double size.
• Upper bunk is wider than SMB
• Top profile is much lower and sleeker on the GTRV...great for stealth camping. However, the SMB T-shaped top definitely has more head space than the V-shaped GTRV top.
• Van upholstery quality is very similar, but poptop canvas is higher quality on the SMB.
• GTRVs have side popout window as standard, and the camper windows are larger.

Lashito, I would drive it to UJoint and let them know it is available...they often have clients looking for a good base for a 4x4 build, and this one is perfect for that!
BeastGTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGTRV View Post
There isn't a lot of info here on GTRVs, but they are a GREAT product,
• Cabinets are made of high quality plywood, not the pressed particle board SMB uses.

. However, the SMB T-shaped top definitely has more head space than the V-shaped GTRV top!

I agree about the quality of the cabinets. I've subjected mine to thousands of miles of high speed washboard roads and have never had so much as a loose screw.

The top provides ample headroom for my 6'4" frame. Of course the rear of the top has far less clearance, but I never stand on the bed anyway, so it doesn't make much difference to me. All in all, the GTRV conversion seems to be very well constructed, the only negative I can see is that the stove is directly over the refer so that every time I'm cooking the refer runs pretty much non stop. I added insulation between the two that helps, but it's still less than desireable. Not that most all other vans aren't set up the same way though.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #14

I've had my Traverse for five months, 130K and its runs strong, the 5.4 has plenty of power for my needs. I agree on the quality of the cabinets. Initially the stock suspension was weak and wallowed like a marshmallow. My WeldTec lift fixed that. The bottom bed has plenty of room, the top bunk might not work for people over 6". At the last So Cal meet up I had a chance to see a video MountainBikeRoamer's 2WD rig in action with his locker engaged and tires aired down. Very impressive!
cbadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #15

Garage

Heck yeah, us 2WD guys get to play in the sand and rocks too....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9524.jpg   IMG_9523.jpg  
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote