Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Garage
2010 6.0L Diesel Tuner ??

I just completed a $12K Bulletproofing project on my 2010 6.0 Diesel E350. When I delivered it to the mechanic the power was great, it just showed early symptoms of the oil cooler failing. I did the full meal deal with ARP studs, new Bulletproof oil cooler, new EGR cooler etc.... I can go on but that's not the point. When I got it back the power was gone. Pulling out onto a busy street was dangerous with no real power until 3rd gear. I brought it back in and they cleaned the turbo which was stuck 1/2 open along with a new fuel filter. It now has decent power from a standstill but I cannot pass safely on the highway and I loose power on steep mountain grades. It was suggested I get a tuner but I cannot find anything on the market for this van.
I'm getting nervous..... anybody have ideas? Any thoughts on a programmer that is compatible with this model?

Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

A tuner is not a fix for a sticking turbo. Get that fixed first. Then back to the basics... Fuel pressure, IPR, IPR Duty cycle, Turbo duty cycle, FICM voltage etc, just to make sure everything is good too.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #3

Agreed, you’ve got something going on that a tuner will likely just turn into a more major something. I remember my 6.0 as less responsive than I wanted without the tune, but definitely not what I’d call dangerous or difficult to get up to speed. In fact it was still really strong at holding grades once up to speed. I’d recommend a Scangauge and start eyeballing the thing Carringb recommended. Asses and go from there.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramp View Post
I just completed a $12K Bulletproofing project on my 2010 6.0 Diesel E350. When I delivered it to the mechanic the power was great, it just showed early symptoms of the oil cooler failing. I did the full meal deal with ARP studs, new Bulletproof oil cooler, new EGR cooler etc.... I can go on but that's not the point. When I got it back the power was gone. Pulling out onto a busy street was dangerous with no real power until 3rd gear. I brought it back in and they cleaned the turbo which was stuck 1/2 open along with a new fuel filter. It now has decent power from a standstill but I cannot pass safely on the highway and I loose power on steep mountain grades. It was suggested I get a tuner but I cannot find anything on the market for this van.
I'm getting nervous..... anybody have ideas? Any thoughts on a programmer that is compatible with this model?
Wow so you pay 10k for engine rebuilt and they deliver you a vehicle with problems. I would think they would have dropped the engine to do all the work you mentioned. And if they failed to take care of turbo other sensors etc then any more labor required to fix all the other stuff on the engine should be on their dime. My 2007 6.0 is stock and hauls a$$ when i floor it.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #5

I have been seeking much of the same. More performance, quieter ride, better efficiency(I'm allowed to dream!) My passenger 6.0 was never particularly spry, but I never felt in danger either. Climbs at speed required some pedal massaging. Before doing anything, get a gauge setup, the aforementioned Scanguage, Edge Insight CTS2(my setup), or a few others. Something that will read EGT, exhaust gas temps (pyrometer), would be a must if you plan to tune.
As far as tunes go, I wound up getting a SCT x4 for Ford 6.0. It also reads and displays engine data like the other gauges previously mentioned.They have generic "canned" tunes included, but I imagine they were not intended for our vans and really intended for the trucks with their better cooling. Using their Performance tune for unmodified 6.0, I mashed the go pedal and I had largest most uncontrollable grin I had in a long time.
(Off-highway use only of course, in case anybody from Calif. CARB is wondering)
Then I had the realization that I was going way faster and getting there much quicker than anything that is as unstable, un-agile and unforgiving as a Ford full size van should go...Still smiling though!

Van specific tunes are few and far between. Motors with tunes should be used judiciously, and of course working the motor harder, just means increased probability of failures.
Hoping to get pilot injection to quiet the idle in and near campsites, but had no success yet and they bring about their own potential problems.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Garage
carringb, everything you suggest has been done. The turbo is clean and operating well now.

karma, My mechanic did talk me through all the options for work while the engine was out of the vehicle. The only thing I passed on that was critical while it was out was the HPOP, I opted to not replace it because of the spotless maintenance record the van has, the HPOP is now operating perfectly according to the pressure tests. All the other work such as FICM and turbo can be done later.... turbo is now done.

Czar308, I have a 2010 and there doesn't seem to be a canned tuner available at all. I don't need a drag racer but I sure would like the option of passing on mountain highways. As it stands now I can keep up with the RV lineup and not much more. Last week I was crawling up an overgrown mountain road/trail and stopped with my front tires in contact with a 6" or so thick log. I hit the accelerator to pop over it and it wouldn't do it. The tires didn't even spin, it just bogged down. I was was in 4H. I got a few feet of run at it and made it fine but this is just not performing even close to what it should. I have read in other forums that suggest a tuner after the Bulletproofing upgrades isn't nearly the risk that a stock equipment tune would be. My mechanic agrees. I am not sure where to go now though.

Thank you all for the responses.
Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Garage
Lot of options out there for Tuners, but would suggest you go with one that has popularity and a lot of positive feedback - sometimes there is safety in numbers.

Great advise here from several members about acquiring something that will monitor criticals...strongly suggest you use it for a while to get an idea of your base line before you apply a Tune.

If asked, I would recommend 5-Star - my experience has been outstanding, They have a great reputation, do custom tunes, and can tweak the tunes if you need.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

SCT Tuner with a custom tune written for the van using your PCM strategy. No experience with 5Star but have tried tunes from 4 different tune writers and like the 80HP DD tune from Power Hungry Performance the best. Also consider a mild FICM tune to increase your throttle response and help with turbo lag.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
SCT Tuner with a custom tune written for the van using your PCM strategy. No experience with 5Star but have tried tunes from 4 different tune writers and like the 80HP DD tune from Power Hungry Performance the best. Also consider a mild FICM tune to increase your throttle response and help with turbo lag.
JoeH, Did PHP build you a custom Van tune or do they have one? I'd love the specifics as I'm not sure what 80hp tune is loaded on my SCT as it came with the van. I have some lag I'd like to get rid of as well as turn on fabs at a lower temp.

Brad
Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
JoeH, Did PHP build you a custom Van tune or do they have one? I'd love the specifics as I'm not sure what 80hp tune is loaded on my SCT as it came with the van. I have some lag I'd like to get rid of as well as turn on fabs at a lower temp.

Brad
All the tunes I've tried have been written for my van using the strategy read off the PCM. My base strategy was VXCF9A4. PHP did a rollback on it to an older strategy (VXCF4 series) because it utilized the exhaust back pressure reading to more accurately control the VGT turbo. If you have a VXCF7 or VXCF9 format Ford changed the coding to run off an "inferred EBP" reading which means the PCM calculates the EBP based of other attributes rather than using the EBP sensor. Ford was making all kinds of running changes because of all the warranty issues and turbo/EGR clogging. One thing to remember when getting custom tuning is the fuel curves used are from the F series. I'm in the 380-400 rwhp range with the 80DD tune.

The engine fan is set to come on around 230 EOT. Lowering that to have the fan come on sooner eats a lot of power when the fan clutch kicks in. That in turn affects MPG.

I've also run the tow tune files and the main difference there is the transmission shift strategy. The tow files have elevated shift points to help stay on top of the turbo to keep EGTs in check. And that is the game with running custom tunes. They do run hotter and you need to have the proper mods in place.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote