Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

2013 Ford E350 Extended Cargo Van with hightop

2013 Ford E350 Extended Cargo Van with hightop
5.4L V8 with 92,300 miles.
$17,495

I bought this van in November 2018 with the idea that I would convert it into a super secure & stealthy camper van. For various reasons I've decided against doing that so I've put the van up for sale.

https://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/d/l...886702255.html

Doug-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

After one week only one person has contacted me about the van, and I'm not even sure that wasn't some kind of bot or scam contact.

If anyone's got suggestions as to a better way to sell or a suggestions / constructive criticism of my ad I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Garage
I’m not usually given to critiqueing folks’ stuff, but since you asked... I went back and read your ad and don’t know if this is the cause of no interest, but it comes across as kinda unfriendly. It makes sense that you want to avoid scammers and maybe not pick up the phone from strangers but you are asking strangers to buy something from you. Maybe don’t put that attitude right out there as an obstacle for people to get over. When I’m considering buying something, I like to deal with friendly folks. You might be one, but that doesn’t come across.

I wish you good luck on this sale. It looks like the perfect basis for someone to convert. Maybe play that up, too. If you’re on Facebook, join a couple of van groups and post there. There’s always a ton of folks looking for a starter rig.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #4

Seems like a nice rig at a decent price. The shelves make it feel a little more “work” than “pleasure”, but I’m surprised you haven’t had more interest.

Maybe say a bit less about why you’re selling and a bit more about what you originally envisioned for it. People buy the dream not the van.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

Ad and price sound "dealer-ish". Use a round number for pricing like $17,500 instead of 495 or 499. I kbb'd the van and get $13k. Other people are probably getting a similar price and wonder if a high top adds that much of a premium. Maybe add in the description what kind of top it has and how much they cost.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

Garage
I agree, Looks like a well maintained clean Van. I agree with all suggestions, But I would also drop the "cargo" from your description and just list as a Ford E350 hightop -then introduce the endless possibilities for a great DYI Build.
Now, I know squat about the security partition installed behind the seats, but that may deter a buyer. If that comes out easily, I would remove it along with Grampswrk assessment of the shelves, remove them as well - just offer them with the sale if anyone has interest.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #7

I think location is your biggest killer. The nation seems to go from Northwest to Southeast in terms of van fanaticism. You're on the wrong end. Of course, you can't help that so you have to up the game in other ways.

List here
List on Expedition Portal van thread and classifieds
List on Facebook Marketplace
Accept that CL is your biggest audience and riddled with scammers. Learn their tricks and jump in, it's the only way. You just have to avoid them and don't get discouraged.

It's a nice van and a super start for someone but these things don't often sell quick unless they have one of the big things people hunt for like diesel, 4wd already, etc.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Appreciate everyone's comments & suggestions!

I will take Otter's suggestion and try to make the ad sound a little "friendlier". It's just so aggravating dealing with all the scammer's on craigslist....

Regarding suggestions to remove the shelving and security partition: I assume half my potential customers are tradesmen looking for a work van, and if I remove those items seems like I've kind of made it harder to sell to that type of customer base, yes/no? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if someone is looking for a van to DIY convert to a stealth camper, I would think unbolting a security partition and some shelving would be child's play and the least of their concerns?

Unfortunately I'm not a member of Expedition Van Portal (I think you have to be a member to post there??) if any of you are members and you are able to cross-post my ad I'd certainly appreciate it. Not on facebook, either, but I can probably get a friend to post it on facebook marketplace.

mikRacer: Regarding the KBB price, I got a private party price range of $13,127 - $15,666, and that's of course w/out the high top or fantastik fans. I used $14,500 plus $3K for the hightop and fans to get to $17,500 asking price. The van truly is in very good condition.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I think location is your biggest killer. The nation seems to go from Northwest to Southeast in terms of van fanaticism. You're on the wrong end. Of course, you can't help that so you have to up the game in other ways.
Unfortunately I 100% agree :-(
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

Was offered $15,250 but turned them down.

Old listing expired, new link:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...915030731.html

Lowering price to $16,750