Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

2013 Nissan NV3500HD w/4x4, pop-top, +++

My Project:
In late 2013 while still owning our second Sprinter, I decided I wanted 4x4, move away from Mercedes, and move to a gas engine. Since Nissan was the last body on frame van manufactured and since two companies do relatively minor invasive 4x4 conversions we bought the last new silver 2013 left in the US from a dealer in Oklahoma through a dealer in CO at the end of February 2014. On it’s way to CO it made a detour to Salt Lake for 4x4 conversion before it even landed on the CO dealer’s lot. I flew out to CO in March 2014 and drove the van across town to Colorado Camper Vans where they installed windows and the pop-top bed area.

I flew back to Colorado at the end of June, picked up the van, toured CO for two weeks with a window cargo interior. Upon return to CA, I did a quick 3 day plywood build to test out my space ideas which was adequate enough for CA DMV to license it as a motorhome. Yes, it is licensed as a motorhome.

Throughout the summer of 2014 we went to 5 conversion places to price out my interior ideas (including a trip to Oregon to a conversion company we had used before) and no one wanted to take on a one-off project based on my idea.

In November of 2014, I told my wife I was going to take three weeks off from work to build the real interior. That three weeks turned into three months and now three years later the interior is still not 100% completed. Basically I didn’t know what I didn’t know and have HUGE respect for the time and $ it takes to build out a van conversion! I did take some time away to complete some other projects including a total recycle of a beach shack tiny house (where we live). I’ve also been on the road a bunch in 2017 as an outdoor product rep (108 days in the van every night & over 15,500 miles across six southwestern states).

Fast forward to now. My wife and I are both changing jobs. We might be moving to a different city. I lose my workshop and storage space in October. And I need to change to a vehicle that can park in a parking garage. So the van is up for sale.

The Skinny:
• 2013 Nissan NV 3500 HD High Top Cargo Van purchased Feb 2014
• Currently 45,000 miles (this is my daily driver) - 50%+ of that highway
• 5.6 V8 gas engine – 25gal factory fuel tank
• 4x4 Conversion by Advanced Four Wheel Drive in March 2014
• Windows by Colorado Camper Van in July 2014
• Pop-Top by Colorado Camper Van in July 2014 (with arctic insulation)
• Front & Rear Bumpers by Aluminess in fall of 2014
• Warn 16.5Ti Winch by Aluminess in fall of 2014
• Stock Steel Wheels powder coated black
Changed factory tires to (5) BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A LT285/70R17 @ 3,500 miles
Changed the BFG’s to (4) Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/70R17 @ 34,000 miles The 5th BFG is still the spare – never used Why the change to Nitto? Peace of mind. The BFG’s are rated for 3,195 lb and the Nitto’s are rated for 3,750 lb. That’s 555lbs more rating per tire. The BFG’s are also 121/123R rated and the Nitto’s are rated at 126/123R. More piece of mind when driving in Utah!
• Body modification & propane tank by Jerry November 2014
• Everything else… by Jon

Power:
• 250amp American Power Alternator
• Bosch AGM Starting Battery
• (2) Lifeline 8D Coach Batteries – 510ah total
• Sterling 120amp Batt to Batt Charging Controller – 120amps to coach bateries
• (3) 100watt Solar Panels w/ Bogart Engineering Controller
• Progressive Industries 30amp Shore Power Controller
• Sterling 2500watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with 70amp DC charging
• Bogart Engineering DC Charge Monitor
• Seven AC Power Breakers
• Seven DC Power Breakers
• One 450amp and One 500amp DC Routing Switches
• (2) Switch-Pros Switch Panel Power Systems (16 circuits total)
• 3.3gal Propane Tank

Comfort:
• 7500 btu Dometic Air Conditioner with Heat Strip – split system with condenser under van – can run off batteries or shore power
• Propex HS2800 LP Furnace
• Precision Temp LP On Demand Hot Water Heater (removed, would not work at high altitude)
• ARB 50qt Refrigerator/Freezer
• Nature’s Head Composting Toilet
• 38gal Fresh Water Supply Tank (inside van)
• 18gal Gray Water Waste Tank (underneath van)

Extras:
• Yaesu 8900 Ham Radio
• CB Radio
• Wilson Cellular Amplifier
• DeLorme InReach Explorer with external antenna

What Is Left To Complete:
• Shower Enclosure (plumbing, venting, and light wiring is ready)
• Ceiling Panels – I have the material I was going to use & I have the LED's
• Front Bumper Lights – I have them and the switching/control wiring done
• Hot Water Heater Installation – the Original $1,200 Precision Temp would not work at higher altitudes – I have purchased a different brand but have not done the install
• Odd’s & Ends & touch-up items

Sale Price:
• I have ALL of the receipts (and will give the sizable box to the new owner). I have all of the maintenance and service records too. Basically the receipt box totals more than $100,000. Not counting labor. We have the van insured for $85,000. Highest, first, reasonable offer will get the van that’s been featured on the internet and in magazines and will drive away my dream!

Message me and I can email you a Dropbox share of full size pictures
I live in Orange County CA

JonNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

Picture set #1
Attached Thumbnails
Van1small.jpg   Van2small.jpg   Van3small.jpg   Van4small.jpg   Van5small.jpg  

Van6small.jpg   Van7small.jpg   Van8small.jpg   Van9small.jpg   Van10small.jpg  

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Picture set #2
Attached Thumbnails
Van11small.jpg   Van12small.jpg   Van13small.jpg   Van14small.jpg   Van17small.jpg  

Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

This van has been meticulously cared for and built with top notch gears. Who ever ends up with it will be very happy.

GLWS JN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
This van has been meticulously cared for and built with top notch gears. Who ever ends up with it will be very happy.

GLWS JN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Having camped with John many times I like how you can walk around in the van with the pop-top up or down. So one can be sleeping upstairs while the other(s) is doing their own thing downstairs. This is a great and overlooked feature by many first time van buyers/builders.
GLWS.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Wow - sweetest NV I've ever seen. GLWS
lashito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #7

Wow, this rig is sweet! Any chance you know the roof clearance height?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #8

When the top is down it's 10'2 at the top of the first breakable item (where the antenna fold-over point is)
Top of antennas is 13'
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #9

That rig looks familiar. I think I chatted you up a bit down at the Newport drystack a while back. I was in a SMB.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

kccourtney Are you my former neighbor Scott's friend?