Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

4x4 SMB 1984 E-350

1984 4x4 Ford E-350 (1 ton) Sportsmobile: 6.9 liter Diesel V8 w/ Hypermax Garret Turbo & C6 Auto 3 speed transmission.

This is a true Sportsmobile, with the rv-50 Floor plan. We have the van about a year and a half now. At first there were kinks to work out (hence the new miscellaneous parts). However, we have been using it all summer and have taken a number of 3 and 4 day trips with no problems at all, and I use the van for day trips regularly. The van runs great. You may have seen this van listed for sale previously, we almost sold it last year then fell in love with it an couldn’t part… Now baby number two is on the way and we have decided to upsize to a pop-up trailer with more room for the kids on a rainy day. We have loved the 4x4 ability, and of course the thing looks great. Email me to request more pictures.

We are looking to sell the van in the next two weeks (to fund another adventure!), so I will consider any reasonable offer. Asking $18,000. Cash Only, no scammers. The following is a detailed description of this awesome camping machine--

Email me @ justonaugust@gmail.com, I check that regularly, the SMB forum not as often. Thanks!

Features:
• 4x4 system is a Pathfinder conversion, and a DANA 60 in front.
• Garret Turbo: only 9,000 miles. Just added: EGT gauge, turbo boost psi and new H20 temp (with numbers instead of stock ford Hot to Cold)
• Engine: 6.9L Diesel with only 53,000 miles (purchased from http://www.gotengines.com as a “certified used engine meeting all manufactures original specs”.
• Wheels & Tires:?(5) 17” Dick Cepek wheels (17") with 10 ply, 31" Cooper Hercules A/T tires, with 6k miles. Spare tire is used, but in decent shape. Very nice set of wheels and tires!
• Custom welded bumper- very beefy and it looks great. The bumper has a built-in 10HP (6500W) generator. Yes, built-in and it is well thought out. Includes approx. 2.5 gall of gas storage. Generator plugs directly in to provide AC power to the van. New and in great shape.
• The generator has 110 & 220 output and only 2 hrs of runtime (brand new generator).
• Finish: The van is coated with a 50/50 blend of SpeedLiner and clear coat. It is amazing. It has the shine to it you want to have from paint, but it has the durability you simply cannot get from anything other than speedliner. The texture adds to the vans character, it has less road noise, better insulation, and frankly its one of a kind. It is bombproof coating for backcountry exploring, no more cowboy pinstripes. The undercoat is solids oil enamel (gloss black). Both the paint and undercoat are less than 6k mi old.
• On Board Storage: 2 under carrage fuel tanks, aprox 18 gallons each. 1 onboard water tank, approx 5 gallons, 6 stow away compartments (3 in the doors, three on the wall), 1 'coat' closet, one hardware closet, undersink storage (not much left after water tank and heater) and one large underseat cabinet.
• Light bar with (4) 100W KC Daylight clones- very bright and switched in pairs (two outside and two outside are grouped). These are mounted on a thule bar.
• Custom welded full roof rack. Made of light gauge steel pipe.
• Sink and water w/ 5 or 7 gallon tank Travels either 4 adults, or 2 adults 3 kids. (seat belts for 5). Sleeps either 4. There are two beds, the pop up, and the lower fold out.
• 110 wiring and outlets throughout.
• IATO Power Manager (12 volt charging, and inverting system). The batteries under the hood are not connected when the key is off.
• Separate onboard 12 volt battery (under Fridge)- Brand NEW deep cycle marine battery.
• New stereo installed with MP3 player plug in.
• Interior light bars throughout, onboard fridge (110 v)
• Interior is in good shape, including pop-up top canvas.
• Privacy curtains.
• Captains chairs.
• Service manuals for the engine and turbo and a few spare parts, filters gaskets, etc.
• New (less than 6k miles): alternator, belts, RV battery, glowplugs, fuel filter, oil filter, thermostat, all fuel lines forward of the main frame rail (including to each injector).
• We get 12 mpg on every trip. Before you scoff- that is pretty darn good for a fully loaded 4x4 with big tires and everything you need for a camping adventure.
• Sleeps 4 comfortably- 2 at the fold down couch/bed and 2 in the pop-top.

Full disclosure of the vans history:
• The reason the engine only has 50k on it is because I had to replace the engine it came with. The previous owner had miss-diagnosed a lack of power as needing a turbo when in fact the injection pump was failing. Additionally he told me the incorrect maximum turbo operating temp. The result was the engine ran hot, I didn’t know it because I was running below the maximum temp he told me, and the engine metled down. The good news for the next buyer is that I had the 50k (used engine) installed, which should greatly extend the life of the van. We have now put around 6k on this engine and it runs like a top. In other words, problem solved.
• Over the winter I noticed there is a low spot in the roof, there were some small cracks at this spot. I had this repaired and it has not leaked since. Again problem solved.
• We I last posted this van for sale I thought the turbo may not functioning fully. That turned out to be true, there was a cap missing on a manifold port. With that addressed, the van has way more power. What a bonus. Problem solved.
• Cruise control doesn’t reliably hold speed. This is very common on this era Ford. I believe a replacement unit is roughly $250.
• I am 95% sure the total mileage on the chassis is 133k (again 55k on the engine), but the speedo only has 5 digits so I can’t be 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
moab passenger side.jpg   maob driver side.jpg   DSC00409.jpg  

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Re: 4x4 SMB 1984 E-350

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00179.jpg   DSC00404.jpg   DSC00427.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Team

If I didn't already have an SMB, I might be tempted. I actually prefer old-school vehicles. No vehicle computers needed, and I can work on them with my limited mechanical skills.

Free bump for you, and you may want to post your location.

Herb
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #4

Herb- Thanks! It really is a cool ride.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Price Reduced!

Price is down to $16,500. Make an offer, I really would like to sell this awesome rig by the end of the month. After that I might not be as willing to wheel and deal.

August
Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #6

Man.

This thing is sweet. I like the old-school vans too. The lights across the roof, the colour, the whole van is wicked! If there was propane and a furnace, I'd be totally interested. That being said, I might know of someone. Is the van still for sale?

Vince.
Vincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

I do still have it. Supposedly there is a guy who is buying it, but he hasn't gotten here to pick it up yet. If you or your friend is seriously interested I certainly will go with first one to get me at least a deposit. (The other guy has had almost two weeks so I am getting suspcious of his sincerity.)

For what is worth, I have a fantastic catalytic propane heater I use that I would throw in, heats great without having to be vented.

It really is a fun rig, the rhino-liner coating is bomber- you can run right through the brush without thinking twice, and it is a serious head turner.

Thanks for looking,

August