Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Anyone familiar with Taking ownership of sportsmobile out of

State of california? I'd like to avoid our tax... Way too much money if you ask me. Thoughts?

Joe

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #2

I don't know how it is done, but a lot of out of state RVs are registered in Montana, since we have no sales tax and a very low cost for RV tags. My Sportsmobile plates run around $200 a year.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #3

Put it in my name and store it at my house.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #4

Re: Anyone familiar with Taking ownership of sportsmobile ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
State of california? I'd like to avoid our tax... Way too much money if you ask me. Thoughts?

Joe
You are not the first to make this observation and the DMV/CHP are very alert to out of state registrations to avoid paying CA taxes.

At a minimum, you'll need to have a valid out of state address. And if you get pulled over by CHP, a valid out of state DL too.

And finally, the law requires any vehicle purchased outside of CA have at least 7,500 miles on the odo before it can be legally transferred into CA. The exact mileage may have changed, but that is the jist of the law. It is pretty obvious why this law exists.
R
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I posted about this on another topic some time back but the state of CA is insidious about collecting their tax. Case in point: I bought a POS 1996 dodge minivan in TX in 2003. Paid cash. Registered in TX, then moved to KS in 2005, registered it there. Moved it to CA in 2007, registered it here, and guess what those bastards at the DMV did? They charged me the difference between the TX sales tax I paid in 2003 and the CA sales tax. For a car that was originally bought 4 years prior and two states ago. I still can't believe it. But then they did it again when I bought another minivan in AZ, and again when I bought my sportsmobile in TX.

CA is so screwed up. I can't wait to move back to TX.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer

Nothing against you regular CA folks....just the one's that make the dumbass rules!...that make our life much more complicated than it really needs to be.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #7

CALIFORNIA

Yep, CA is really messed up, but it will be a lot better once all the people who don't like it here leave.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer
I posted about this on another topic some time back but the state of CA is insidious about collecting their tax. Case in point: I bought a POS 1996 dodge minivan in TX in 2003. Paid cash. Registered in TX, then moved to KS in 2005, registered it there. Moved it to CA in 2007, registered it here, and guess what those bastards at the DMV did? They charged me the difference between the TX sales tax I paid in 2003 and the CA sales tax. For a car that was originally bought 4 years prior and two states ago. I still can't believe it. But then they did it again when I bought another minivan in AZ, and again when I bought my sportsmobile in TX.

I'm familiar with similar cases involving cars and motorcycles purchases out of state.

I certainly don't like to pay CA state sales tax, but I also can't complain since the laws are clear as day and I'm free to move if I choose.

For the quality of life and incredible recreation opportunities available here, I think it is a more than fair trade off. My views on that might change sometime in the future, but for now I'm staying put.
R
Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #9

I bought my SMB from SMB Indiana and brought it back to CA. Since I paid for the van before they did the conversion work, it would have been easy to give the DMV the cost of the van and reduce the price/fees in half.

It was a couple of thousand dollars difference, but I paid the fees on the entire van and SMB conversion costs. I never have to worry about somebody at DMV/CHP 'catching' me or a disgruntled neighbor turning me in.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I certainly don't like to pay CA state sales tax, but I also can't complain since the laws are clear as day and I'm free to move if I choose.

For the quality of life and incredible recreation opportunities available here, I think it is a more than fair trade off. My views on that might change sometime in the future, but for now I'm staying put.
R
Well put R,

Dang!...that's what I like about this forum. Personal opinions that are heartfelt and compassionate about how they feel about certain things in their life...straight shooters so to speak. Obviously there are folks that will take offense to something that wasn't meant to offend but for the most part sticking to your guns and your beliefs is what keeps things "sane" in this crazy (but loveable) country we live in.

...just my opinion