Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #41

Re: Fair Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
And that's the whole point of my post. You don't actually need to spend the kind of money most people on this forum propose in order to enjoy camping in a van. You don't need on-board air when you can accomplish the same thing by plugging a good portable air pump into your cigarette lighter. The key to advancing the hobby is to make it affordable for most people and not to see how much money you can spend trying to "SLEEP in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER" (Chris Farley SNL).
Me thinks you are in the wrong forum. But keep in mind most folks that can afford a $100K van can also afford to spend money on it. It's personal preference is it not? Why not drive a Prius instead of a Tesla. Some of the folks on this forum live in their vans 24-7. They don't want to get stuck and have the means to make sure they don't. I'm not sure what's to get?

You will find like-minded folks who enjoy and support frugal living as a way of life: http://effective-altruism.com/ea/c1/fru ... sacrifice/

Personally, I use my van to get to camp spots that most other vehicles may not. That meets my Prime Directive which is solitude. It's getting harder to find.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #42

I'm heading to KOH Wednesday to join many friends to watch some of the most amazing off road racing know to us now. I plan on sleeping in the SMB and driving it to where ever necessary to watch the races. I've been there before so I know what to expect. Bottom line is, I have OBA and plan on using it. ( I used to mfr engine driven OBA systems). I also plan to use my awning where a tarp could do the same job. I also plan on using my porta potty where as a shovel and funny stares from others could also work. Of course I could bypass the SMB all together and drive with wife's VW and accomplish most of those things. Lol!

TPB, we all have "vans". Some of us require more mods than others. Each persons van is more modified than the next, depending on that persons needs and requirements. I require and need a 4WD van with a winch, lockers and ground clearance. You may not and you shouldn't spend you money otherwise. But just because I make these mods doesn't make me stupid, silly, "proud" or cool. My requirements are simply different than yours.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
And that's the whole point of my post. You don't actually need to spend the kind of money most people on this forum propose in order to enjoy camping in a van. You don't need on-board air when you can accomplish the same thing by plugging a good portable air pump into your cigarette lighter. The key to advancing the hobby is to make it affordable for most people and not to see how much money you can spend trying to "SLEEP in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER" (Chris Farley SNL).
Me thinks you are in the wrong forum. But keep in mind most folks that can afford a $100K van can also afford to spend money on it. It's personal preference is it not? Why not drive a Prius instead of a Tesla. Some of the folks on this forum live in their vans 24-7. They don't want to get stuck and have the means to make sure they don't. I'm not sure what's to get?

You will find like-minded folks who enjoy and support frugal living as a way of life: http://effective-altruism.com/ea/c1/fru ... sacrifice/

Personally, I use my van to get to camp spots that most other vehicles may not. That meets my Prime Directive which is solitude. It's getting harder to find.

I think (correct grammer) that you are on the wrong thread. The OP posted a thread about financing a 4x4 van and I'm telling him its a waist of money; pay cash and go with a 2wd van. Then you guys decided to hijack the thread for no other reason than to make yourself feel better about yourself for waisting money on a 4wd van. That's great, maybe go start a thread of your own bragging about how much money you can spend sleeping in a van. Maybe it will catch on and someone else will start a thread on how much they can spend sleeping in a cardboard box.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma
I'm heading to KOH Wednesday to join many friends to watch some of the most amazing off road racing know to us now. I plan on sleeping in the SMB and driving it to where ever necessary to watch the races. I've been there before so I know what to expect. Bottom line is, I have OBA and plan on using it. ( I used to mfr engine driven OBA systems). I also plan to use my awning where a tarp could do the same job. I also plan on using my porta potty where as a shovel and funny stares from others could also work. Of course I could bypass the SMB all together and drive with wife's VW and accomplish most of those things. Lol!

TPB, we all have "vans". Some of us require more mods than others. Each persons van is more modified than the next, depending on that persons needs and requirements. I require and need a 4WD van with a winch, lockers and ground clearance. You may not and you shouldn't spend you money otherwise. But just because I make these mods doesn't make me stupid, silly, "proud" or cool. My requirements are simply different than yours.

It does make you look stupid when you brag about it on a thread that has nothing to do with your van or your ego. Go start your own thread and brag about it, or maybe you already have . I will give you the courtesy and class you didn't show the OP and not brag about my own van or cut people down for trying to help you pat yourself on the head.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma

It does make you look stupid when you brag about it on a thread that has nothing to do with your van or your ego. Go start your own thread and brag about it, or maybe you already have . I will give you the courtesy and class you didn't show the OP and not brag about my own van or cut people down for trying to help you pat yourself on the head.
Well, actually, you're the one who derailed this thread. The Original Poster was asking about the price of a particular 4x4 van. He provided some back-story as to why he was looking to buy a 4x4 van rather than buy a 4x2 van and then convert to 4x4, and you decided to offer your unsolicited advice as to why he was making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, just about everyone here offers unsolicited advice, but most people do so more tactfully. As others have posted, we all have different requirements, different priorities, and different amounts of money we're willing to throw into, what is for most people, a hobby vehicle. Heck, some of my best camping memories are my two brothers and I (when we weren't fighting) stuffed into the back end of a late 60's station wagon driving to National Forests and National Parks all over the West. Some of the curvy roads weren't a whole lot of fun back there however.

Herb
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Wow dude, you need to check that attitude at the door. What am I bragging about? Where is my ego? I wasn't bragging about anything and I wasn't cutting anyone down. You need to lighten up and play nice.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #47

Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #48

All right I'm shutting it down. Nothing wrong with discussion but it's getting personal, and there is no need for that. Take it up in an appropriate subforum if you really want to discuss.