Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

Garage
For sale 1999 diesel smb with Voyager top - $65,000

Add one more to the list. I’m selling my van. I’ve simply aged out (along with some health issues) and, delightful as the van is, I’m finding it can get me into more trouble than I am comfortable getting out of. As a friend pointed out, this van is sort of a breeder reactor for bad decisions on my part: I’ve never seen a forest/logging/reservation road I haven’t wanted to drive down.

This is perhaps not the typical van (if there is such a thing) you find here on the Forum. I’m in the upper Midwest and the van was designed primarily as a support vehicle for my pre-retirement job as a traveling computer consultant – traveling to Wisconsin’s 14 Indian reservations and every remote site I could find. My dog and I traveled, and lived, in the van 12 months out of the year, with preference for fall, winter, and early spring traveling and living. I’ve taken it through the far west, but its real focus is the northern tier. It’s a superb cold-weather – and possibly stealth - camper.

It is a1999 late (4/99) production E350, around 78,000 mi, built by SMB Indiana, with Voyager top and awning. Powered by 7.3 Powerstroke, geared for highway travel with (I think rare) factory dual alternators and dual (Optima Redtop) engine batteries. It has three Vmax, 12 V gel-cell, deep cycle batteries in the “house” connected to 2500W inverter.

I’ll try to address the specifics with the pictures. All features and add-ons were professionally installed or created. The van has been routinely treated with RustFre undercoat and some body cavities filled with RustSeal. There is no rust on the body and merely surface rust on the undercarriage.

Uses auxiliary plug-in (single, central plug) separate battery charging, and conditioning for engine and house batteries, manual isolator switch, electric engine block heater on same circuit. Fully diesel heated but I left the propane system in to power the stove and, via remote hoses, tabletop grill.

It has track alignment spacers in rear, custom 16” wheels, less than 5K on Blizzaks. Aluminess bumpers with switched Hella fog lights on front, switched flood lights on rear. Locking “box” for four, five gallon diesel jerry cans. Front receiver hitch (for snaking your boat into odd places). Dual rear receiver hitch w/trailer plug (you can carry bikes and tow a boat). Tow rope and shackles. Hy-lift jack, currently unmounted. Massive, custom built running boards, capable of lifting the van and act as side protection.

There is a 27 gallon Transfer Flo auxiliary fuel system with an additional 20 gallons in locked jerry cans.
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-14.jpg   Van for sale-15.jpg   Van for sale-16.jpg   Van for sale-17.jpg   Van for sale-18.jpg  

Van for sale-34.jpg  

boswellbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

Garage
More Images

Additional images. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-7.jpg   Van for sale-10.jpg   Van for sale-11.jpg   Van for sale-8.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

Garage
The interior

The Interior:
Fairly standard EB35 with gaucho bed, 3 seat belts, extension cushion, and wall recess. Carpet, shades, seats, etc. shown. As many compartments and closets as I could fit. 12 vdc refrigerator, microwave, inverter. Working Starcool A/C, extra 12 vdc outlets, propane stove, under-sink 120 vac water heater. Has a Thetford electric filtering porta-potti that dumps into a black water tank under the floor (primarily for “emergency” – and eco-sensitive - use, can last for months without needing dump station, and it’s cheap and easy to replace); privacy provided by opening closet door. Roof exhaust fan with remote control, rain sensor, etc.

The “upstairs” has room for two people to sleep. I currently use sleeping bags and roll-up camping mattresses although padded “shelves” are included. I have installed a custom, opening skylight/hatch that was designed to be a foredeck hatch on a yacht; waterproof and ½” Plexiglas. You can walk and sit on it. The roof itself has non-skid paint on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-19.jpg   Van for sale-20.jpg   Van for sale-21.jpg   Van for sale-22.jpg   Van for sale-23.jpg  

Van for sale-25.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

Garage
Further Interior

Still more images
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-26.jpg   Van for sale-27.jpg   Van for sale-28.jpg   Van for sale-35.jpg   Van for sale-36.jpg  

Van for sale-37.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #5

Garage
More Images

Last two for the interior
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-38.jpg   Van for sale-40.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
MSD

Garage
Price? I can’t seem to find it?
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Garage
Special interior features

Interior special features:
This van is fully diesel heated. Has an Espar D1 air furnace with the output routed through the same ductwork as the Starcool A/C. This is controlled through a standard Espar thermostat. Additionally, there is an Espar Hydronic 10 that acts as the engine block heater and, additionally, can provide “house” heat via a coolant heater at the rear of the “house”. This is controlled via an Espar panel beneath and to the left of the steering wheel.

I have added a set of 8 gauges to permit watching engine functions I have found to be important:

Above the windshield are two voltage gauges, one for the engine batteries and one for the three house batteries. There are also two ammeters for the two alternators. To their right is the toggle to control the engine/house isolation switch.

On the dashboard next to the GPS are gauges reading the transmission temp, transfer case temp, and rear differential temp.

On the steering column is an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge. Note the sensor is after the turbo so it reads about 2K low – but it can’t fall into the turbo.

The Transfer Flo auxiliary fuel tank and system also has a gauge, below and to the left of the steering wheel. I have moved the A/C on/off switch to the lower left of the dashboard, along with the 4-wheel drive indicator, fog lights, rear flood lights, the permanently mounted and GPS connected Garmin backup camera
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-39.jpg   Van for sale-29.jpg   Van for sale-30.jpg   Van for sale-33.jpg   Van for sale-41.jpg  

Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

Garage
Further Interior special features

Two of the house batteries, the electrical system, and the water system are below the gaucho bed
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-24.jpg   Van for sale-31.jpg   Van for sale-32.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Garage
Under floor and chassis features

The exhaust for the engine block heater comes out below the van, just un front of the front differential. This first image also shows the strength of the running board mounts.

The Moroso oil pan was added when I had to reseal the original. It is both stronger and much more durable.

The AOR RIP (Ride Improvement Package) is probably the most significant ride improvement available for those of us who do most of our driving on the highway. Absolutely fingertip control of the steering.

The diesel furnace exhaust exits just aft of the passenger side rear wheel. This image also shows the edge of the 3rd house battery box just behind the furnace exhaust
Forward of the rear axle is the transfer flow auxiliary fuel tank. In conjunction with the original tank and the jerry cans, this provides a total fuel supply of about 75 gallons of diesel. Behind this is the black water tank with dump valve on port side.

The engine battery bank charging/condition system is inside the front bumper. A circuit goes back to the 30amp plug on the port side rear, and the factory electric engine block heater also plugs into this system. A single shore power plug addresses all requirements. Note that, except for the A/C, everything can be plugged into a standard 20 amp circuit with standard extension cord and adaptor.
Attached Thumbnails
Van for sale-1.jpg   Van for sale-2.5.jpg   Van for sale-2.jpg   Van for sale-3.jpg   Van for sale-4.5.jpg  

Van for sale-4.jpg   Van for sale-5.jpg   Van for sale-6.jpg   Van for sale-13.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #10

Garage
Price

Frankly, I've no idea what to ask for this. I am hoping some of the experts on this forum - which over the years has been dead honest - will provide me with a realistic value to shoot for. I do have a lower limit, so I guess it's certainly possible I won't sell it. Throw out some estimates and we can go from there.

I am not going to list this anywhere else (I just don't want to spend time trying to explain the Sportsmobile concept) so this will be the only ad. To anyone who gives me an estimate, I thank you in advance.