Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #31

Oh sorry I had requested one from you k!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #32

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...548809679.html
GrantATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantATX View Post
Yeah got that one brianw sent it in the 8th post page one. It is cracked which would be a gamble to ship un-repaired, which means you have to crate it, that adds weight and shipping cost. The canvas is either bad or non existing, and then there is the $1500.00 price tag for a gamble.

I have decided I will go clam shell. I have found a local fixed top from Pick A Part. $71.00! It is a step up style with two rectangular smoked glass windows on the slope. the vent hole is cut out already and plywood reinforced. I will replace the the top windows with 2 screened marine rectangular porthole windows that batten down when closed, but open for ventilation. $300.00 for the pair but it would be nice to allow additional cabin heat to release and increase air flow, plus at low speeds can act as air scoops to cool the passengers on non a/c needed days. The fixed top will be from a regular wheel base van. I will radius the front edge to match the contour of the cab where they meet. My first attempt will be to add additional reinforcement where the hood hinges attach on the top. My choice is hood springs to lift and draw away an inch or so the top away from the back, keeping it from cracking and holding the entire load of the top with the canvas weight as well. Two long high pressure gas struts will assist in the lifting of the top with proper length limit straps at hinge and strut locations. I will attach a shaped skirt to the inside profile where the van skirt will meet the cap, plus it will give me a location to attach the canvas to the outside of the skirt. This will help give it a clean finished look and seal. I may snap button the canvas rather than fixed screw attach the skirt so I can roll it up and have clear views and ventilation. I will leave a wider van roof edge when I cut and remove the top that way I can close the top and have room for the canvas rolled up or attached to the skirt. I will add bulb weather stripping to the top edge of the skirt as well as on the profile shaped base of the fiberglass top for a double seal. The reason for the skirt is just like speed boats that have that 5"-6" plexi glass window in front of the drivers seat to divert water forward and around the drivers seat plus it will add a second seal for the top. I will do test runs and high pressure water power washes to check for seals prior to making the canvas for the top just in case it is a failure. Worse case scenario I loose $71.00 and 10 or so hours of work and have to put a Fiberine top on! I have a plan and that is what I am sticking to as long as the top is still there on Friday!
Comments, suggestions, insane asylum recommendations or a paying slot machine? ONE OR
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
How did you edit your selection request ex... POP TOP or BUBBLE TOP or CANVAS TOP??

After attempting to create an account with LKQ I was informed it is not possible to do this ACCORDING to the alternate gender preference operator that took my call. I read your account statement and information to them as written in the post and they stated it is not possible to get notifications for the LKQ *"PICK A PART"* branch of LKQ. So before it got to a pissing match I thanked them and hung up!
I would like to know how to do this as well, I have tried twice.
Brian94ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #35

Good luck with the roof hunt, and the hinges, Vanimal. Seems like they should probably work.

I too live in Riverside and have been casually looking for a used top to buy for my E350 EB. I would prefer a 20" or taller fixed roof for mine.

My buddy recently purchased a 16" Fiberine roof and has it on his van. He added latches front and rear, as it will eventually be a pop top. He is currently determining the dimensions to build his own hinges similar to a VW Vanagon Westfalia hinge. Which, now that I think about it, is very similar in design to a 70's Chevy hood hinge, without the spring.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #36

Thanks maybe we can brainstorm with your buddy too. Bounce ideas off each other per say. If so let me know I will shoot you my number. I am in Woodcrest near MLK.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #37

That's cool. I'm in Mission Grove, Allessandro and Trautwein.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian94ht View Post
I would like to know how to do this as well, I have tried twice.
I never talked to anyone on the phone, just set it up all online.

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/

If you make an account you get a "PYP Garage" where you can save your preferred locations and track what model vehicles you want in those locations. I have it set up for E150s, E250s, and E350s at Anaheim and Oceanside. Then you can set up email notifications so that you get a message when a new car of your selected models enters the yard at any of your saved locations. You can't set it up to let you know when a poptop or bubble top comes in, you would have to set it up for whatever models you are interested in and then look at the pictures for each car yourself to see if it has a top you want.

Hopefully this helps.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #39

Ben, I have been looking for a week and found a few but I got there too late today for the one !I wanted. There is another but it's a land yacht!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #40

Found one in San Berdo three weeks ago! Started the dismantle process going back twice after draining 3 batteries several times and actually accidentally cutting the top, I gave up! The mastic was just not releasing the top. they do not allow generators so I could not use a heat gun, it was bad enough talking them into letting me bring in a bottle jack to try and pop it!