Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #1

Let them fend for themselves!

I know this is going to sound petty, but I think if a SMB seller isn't smart enough to find this forum, then I don't think they should get the benefit of listing here. What do I mean? I'm tired of seeing posts that say:
  • Look what's on ebay
    Look what's in the Denver classifieds
    Look what's on craigslist.com
I know there are arguments either way, but as a seller in less-than-perfect economic times, I don't want the additional competition. There are currently 25 SMBs listed on the SMB West website, and I saw it as high as 27 when I listed mine over two months ago. The site used to only have 4 or 5 listed. Inventory is high, and us sellers wouldn't be selling these great vehicles if we didn't have a reason.

I can't speak for the other sellers, but I say let these other people fend for themselves. If ebay is the only online site they know of, so be it. If they find this forum on their own, I welcome them. Just don't hurt the people that have been regulars on this site since its inception by helping people you don't even know.

Ken Keister
Freeport, ME
Visit www.BigRed4X4Van.com

Buy My Sportsmobile: BigRed4X4Van.com

See my Personal Picture Gallery or my Stupid Blog
Colorado Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
BC

yeah this is a tough call Ken, and know its hard right now (just ask Allan who's been trying to sell his Big Red for about a year it seems). But I also think the power of the Forum is -- it is just that, a place to share information and connect people to what's out there, without limitation or restriction based on membership. That said, maybe your post will elicit some ideas, some way to incentivize and prioritize based on membership, but dont think it should exclude or censor classified posts from elsewhere.

There has definitely been a spike in availability, increasingly more SMBs and some pretty good deals too. And suspect we'll see a lot more with the way fuel is trending. Would be interesting to study re-sale values (traditionally pretty good for SMB I think), but increasingly harder to maintain in today's environment with more and more supply coming in. There are stories now of SUV owners who cant even get the money out that they owe on their vehicles as Detroit and the auto dealers scramble to re--orient their entire business strategy. Its unfortunate but think this is the position we are faced with today.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I know what you're saying...

I know what you're saying, but as someone who just bought a new SMB, I appreciated the help looking for something. I know what you're saying though and it makes sense. I would have loved your rig, but I guess it came to the best deal. I figured what I could do without - and for a certain price. I don't know if the guy I bought it from lost money or made money, but the rig fit my pockets well - and that was hard to find. I'm gonna say, blame it on the gas...

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #4

floor plan is a big selling point for me per-se,

secondly, the price point,
everthing has a pricing point at which it will move, factoring the cost of diesel fuel at $5.00/gallon, and other economic woes, and your basic principle of supply and demand

i would rather sell sooner at a lost rather than later at a lost, time is against your side b/c of depreciation and finance payments you're making on the unit unless you had paid in full with cash

IMHO,
i think your best bet is try to market it in a market other than usa like say canada, as their currency is strong v. the dollar so, a buyer there makes out better less cost to import the unit....

i am in the business of hi end audio, and most of my business now is oversees, markets whose currency are strong v. the dollar...
PITA though b/c of custom/paperworks, etc...

just some food for thought

good luck
Old 06-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #5

Well no doubt this is a poor time to be selling an SMB, though I would not necessarilly include all SUV and pickups in this catagory. I had a near sale on my SMB and the potential buyer reported selling a Tundra in just a few days at nearly his asking price on E-bay.

I believe he would have bought mine (at a good price for him too), except his bank said no to a loan and convinced him that loans for used RV's are very hard to come buy.

Lynn at SMB reported selling several SMB's recently so they are moving, even if slowly.

I just lowered my price again. No, I have not had my van on this list for a year yet, but it has been about 7 months.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
For what its worth...

The best way to purchase a used RV other than a HELOC is using a credit union and a certified appraisal. I followed the steps of someone else from this forum and was able to buy it no problem. The blue book values for SMB are pretty cryptic. None of the numbers there showed my "EB50" plan so I told them it wasn't listed. They looked and didn't see it either so it worked well. I used Automotive Appraisals Services Group. The person I spoke with was named Mark. He was familiar with the plight of SMB owners (future and past) with regards to selling / buying a SMB. I'd give him a call. He gave my van a great appraisal and I was able to achieve 100% financing.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #7

great thread, bc your photo looks like it was taken near my house on the OR coast? hmm....

bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
BC

somewhere just north of Gearhart and south of the Iredale on a killer day a few years ago...mid Jan.

where are you and did you sell that beast yet?
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #9

OR. Coast

Great photo, BC. I grew up in Astoria and use to play on the wreck every chance i could get. (When I could talk my folks into going to the beach.) I developed a lifelong fasination with sailing ships from those times and here I am living in rural Nevada. Oh Well......

Philrod

'07 Silver E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #10

Re: OR. Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrod
I developed a lifelong fasination with sailing ships from those times and here I am living in rural Nevada.....
... with a land yacht!