Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Local Van for sale

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/south-lake-tahoe-ford-4x4-custom-van/6836178278.html

Saw this van. Curious if anyone can help identify who the 4x4 conversion may have been done by. No pics on the ad but the front axle has a dynatrac housing and dual shocks on each side.

Interior looks sportmobile-esque but hard to tell. I'm not as good at deciphering where vans came from yet. Seller claims he is selling for his late friend and doesn't know much about it.

Thoughts?

Djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Just got these photos from the seller. Hope they help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_04721.jpg   IMG_04751.jpg   IMG_04731.jpg  
Old 03-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

My money would be on Sportsmobile...Dyantrac front and the leafsprings are the tell tales along with the sportsmobile interior. Only UJOINT, Advance 4x4 and Sportsmobile does front leafs.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
My money would be on Sportsmobile...Dyantrac front and the leafsprings are the tell tales along with the sportsmobile interior. Only UJOINT, Advance 4x4 and Sportsmobile does front leafs.
.....and a million home builders. I pretty much agree with you otherwise but it could be anything. Any of our members with an SMB 4x conversion should be able to ID the front leaf hangers. If those are Ujoint they are old Ujoint me thinks.

OP, ask your friend if there is any kind of tag/sticker inside the driver's door jamb.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

The owner says there are no stickers in the door jamb or emblems anywhere else for that matter which would make me lean towards home builder with a kit of some sort.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
.....and a million home builders. I pretty much agree with you otherwise but it could be anything. Any of our members with an SMB 4x conversion should be able to ID the front leaf hangers. If those are Ujoint they are old Ujoint me thinks.

OP, ask your friend if there is any kind of tag/sticker inside the driver's door jamb.

Did SMB use anything other than the Atlas 2 transfer case in their 4x4 conversions? If they didn't, then a pic of the shifter should say a lot. If it has double levers, then it could be SMB. If it doesn't, then it isn't SMB.

I didn't think SMB offered such a high lift in their conversions though...
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Did SMB use anything other than the Atlas 2 transfer case in their 4x4 conversions? If they didn't, then a pic of the shifter should say a lot. If it has double levers, then it could be SMB. If it doesn't, then it isn't SMB.

I didn't think SMB offered such a high lift in their conversions though...

Before SMBw developed their own 4x4 conversion, they utilized Quigley 4x4 conversions, but once they developed their own, it has always been Atlas t/c based.

Herb
Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Waiting on a pic of the shifter from the owner and having him check the doorjamb again to see if he can see anything else as well as calling SMB to see if they did any work based on the VIN.

Next question; if the work is all done by reputable builders and he can find the bulletproofing docs, what is a fair price for this? The 6.0 vans are up and down in price so I'd like to see what everyone here thinks.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

I'd say he's in the ballpark, depending on details of the swap, and the extent of the bulletproofing. You may want to ask that as well, some folks just delete the egr and call it bulletproofed. Others go as far as head gaskets + studs. The interior cabinets look quality, and bumpers add some value as well.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Garage
More info would be a benefit...Ad is very vague (probably because seller really doesnt know much about these vehicles)
2009 e350
Bulletproofed 6.0
Dana 60 front/ 10” rear
8” lift with 35’s
Solar and many extras
135k miles
Smogged and ready to go

What exactly is "many extras"?
Does it have a heat source not affiliated with the engine running? Starcool AC? Fresh water tank & does pump work? Outdoor shower? Looks like it has an electrical outlet so I'm assuming Inverter?
Anything mounted underneath: Air compressor and holding tank? House battery is what size & how old? Propane? Air lockers? Grey water tank?

As mentioned, you really would like to know what Bulletproofing was done.