Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Look 4 SMB. Trip from Miami to Argentina (family of 4)

Hello!

We are planning to leave in 40 days from Miami to San Fransisco, then to Panama... down to Argentina!
We will arrive fom Dominican Republic to Miami in 3 weeks.

I am looking for the right SMB in our Budget for this adventure:
- Family of 4 (Couple + kids of 2&4 years old)
- Budget (15 to 25K) + some budget for the extras...
- Penthouse is a must.
- 2wd is ok, but would prefer a 4wd (guess it is out of budget).

If you have any tips or contact, it would be amazing.

I saw a nice SM but it is a fiberglass top with no Penthouse; is there a way to subsitute it - I would only have 3k left for that after the buy.

I also saw 2 options on this link:
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Pre-owned Vans - Indiana

1- 2001 Ford EB
Price: $22,000
Miles: 65,075
Engine: 5.4L V8
Seats: 5, Sleeps: 4

2-2001 Dodge Ram RB50
Price: $21,500
Miles: 93,000
Engine: 318ci (5.2 L) Magnum V8
Seats: 5, Sleeps: 4

I also saw:
2000 Ford Sportsmobile Camper For Sale in San Luis Obispo, California
2001 Ford Sportsmobile Camper For Sale in New Smyrna Beach, Florida
96 Dodge Sportsmobile - $16000 (concord / pleasant hill / martinez) hide this posting restore this posting - San francisco bay area - classifieds - reachoo.com

I am so exited!! I miss experience a a RV owner, but not as an adventurer.
https://www.facebook.com/laroutedoan/?fref=ts

A 1000 of thanks to the one who took time to read this and a 1000 more for the one who give us opinion and tips!!

Cheers!!

Thien

Thien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Hey Thien,

I'm in the Los Angeles area if you need any help with searching for a SMB let me know, always willing to help out my peeps! : )

Johnny
SoCalManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Thank you very much Johnny!
Ideally, i would buy it in Miami, but I saw there is a lot's of shipping option!
If you hear about a nice Sportmobiles penthouse top between 15 to 25k in a good shape for a long trip, i'll be very happy!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Thien,

CopesCobra has the best deal I've seen listed here the 1994 SMB with the 7.3 turbo diesel for $18k is a steal!!!!! Check it out!

Johnny
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalManVan View Post
Thien,

CopesCobra has the best deal I've seen listed here the 1994 SMB with the 7.3 turbo diesel for $18k is a steal!!!!! Check it out!

Johnny
Thien, Johnny is right, that is a really good deal and it is a diesel which would be an excellent choice for a trip south of the US border.

I am in San Francisco and could possibly go by to look at it if it is not too far away, and if it happens in the next week. After that I am gone for a month and half.

Perhaps you could start your trip in San Francisco, and then work back east before heading south to Mexico.

Link to listing:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-16341.html
Old 05-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Thein -

I'm in SF - East Bay if you need a hand when you come through this way. I have a reasonably outfitted shop and would be happy to help out with some van prep prior to your heading south or if you need someone to take a look at a potential purchase.

Good luck!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks a lot SoCallVan & 1der!

This Van really looks amazing. As you say 1der, diesel is a nice plus!!

I am just afraid about the millage and years... It is a long trip, don't want to much surprises as i travel with kids! Roads in Chile are tough for old Engines... Do you think It can do it?

I though that maybe this one could be a good option:
Inventory Details - Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans

Also this old one for the millage:
96 Dodge Sportsmobile - $16000 (concord / pleasant hill / martinez) hide this posting restore this posting - San francisco bay area - classifieds - reachoo.com

I would like to hear your opinion!

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Note that the Ford Vans Classifieds site that you are linking to/searching just reposts ads from Craigslist, and I can almost guarantee you that those vans are no longer for sale. (I just checked the one on San Luis Obispo Craigslist, for example, and it's not on CL any more.) SMBs tend to sell very quickly, especially ones that are priced well. I'm surprised that low-mileage 2001 one at SMB Indiana is still for sale...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Site Team

You probably have a better understanding of 'support structure' in Central and South America, but from what little I know (I've only been to Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala), I think there are more Fords than Dodges there, and therefore a better chance at finding spare parts if needed and someone who might know how to work on those engines.

By the way, John and Mandi are on a similar journey with a 2001 7.3L van.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cle-13035.html

Herb
Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

Hey Thien,

I've had several of the Powerstroke 7.3 motors and at that mileage the van should be good for another 150,000 miles without any problems. I would think with some of the older vans with low miles that you have located will also need some work/maintence to keep them going also but a 7.3 diesel is by far the diesel everyone is looking for. Several members have attested to how good the van/owner is so I would see if a member close by could do a visual inspection for you that's if the van is still available. Heck at that price I was tempted to buy it myself.....

Johnny