Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Looking for a SMB 2004 and before

Hi, my name is Frédéric. I am in Colorado for 2-3 weeks and I would like to import a SMB to Canada with top penthouse, 4 people seat belt and 4x4. I will be around Denver, Boulder, Leadville, Fort Collins, etc.

If you have suggestions or a SMB for sale, I'm waiting for your proposal!

Thanks

fgagnon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgagnon11 View Post
Hi, my name is Frédéric. I am in Colorado for 2-3 weeks and I would like to import a SMB to Canada with top penthouse, 4 people seat belt and 4x4. I will be around Denver, Boulder, Leadville, Fort Collins, etc.

If you have suggestions or a SMB for sale, I'm waiting for your proposal!

Thanks

Hi Frédéric,
I live in Denver. I would consider selling my 2004 E350 SMB RB50 with top penthouse. However, it is getting the V10 engine replaced so may not be done. The van only has 81,000 miles on it. The new motor will have 0 miles. The motor unexpectedly threw a rod so we are replacing. However, it won't be cheap. We've put a ton of work into this one - solar panel, new house batteries, new tires (less than 1500 miles), new Fox shocks (less than 1500 miles), new rear Aluminess Deluxe Box (had the tray and we just upgraded to the deluxe box), just raptor lined the top, etc. The canvas has been cleaned but still has stains from prior owner where the top fiberglass leaked (that is why we raptor lined it). The ceiling and insulation is all brand new. It has the rear shower, furnace, sink, microwave, refrigerator, rear A/c (but only for driving). We are planning to keep it once we put an engine in, but I can be convinced to sell. We will then buy another. The E350s are fantastic. Probably looking at $65,000.00 with the new engine.

-Doug
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbark View Post
Hi Frédéric,
I live in Denver. I would consider selling my 2004 E350 SMB RB50 with top penthouse. However, it is getting the V10 engine replaced so may not be done. The van only has 81,000 miles on it. The new motor will have 0 miles. The motor unexpectedly threw a rod so we are replacing. However, it won't be cheap. We've put a ton of work into this one - solar panel, new house batteries, new tires (less than 1500 miles), new Fox shocks (less than 1500 miles), new rear Aluminess Deluxe Box (had the tray and we just upgraded to the deluxe box), just raptor lined the top, etc. The canvas has been cleaned but still has stains from prior owner where the top fiberglass leaked (that is why we raptor lined it). The ceiling and insulation is all brand new. It has the rear shower, furnace, sink, microwave, refrigerator, rear A/c (but only for driving). We are planning to keep it once we put an engine in, but I can be convinced to sell. We will then buy another. The E350s are fantastic. Probably looking at $65,000.00 with the new engine.

-Doug
Wow! Good work. However, I did not expect to pay so much for a 2004. I think your price is right with the new engine. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #4

I have a 1993 sportsmobile that I will be selling once the new engine is in it. Looking to get $14k for it, but can take it to Agile off road and have them convert it to 4x4 for $20k. Then you would have a 4x4 for $34k with a new engine and new suspension.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I have a 1993 sportsmobile that I will be selling once the new engine is in it. Looking to get $14k for it, but can take it to Agile off road and have them convert it to 4x4 for $20k. Then you would have a 4x4 for $34k with a new engine and new suspension.
Thank you, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I should have been more specific in my request. I am looking for a SMB with already the 4x4, the penthouse and camping equipment (furnace, stove, sink, fridge, etc.) I'm not long enough in the USA to make the changes. I also prefer to have a model between 2004 and 2000. Diesel would be perfect.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

What is your budget? There are several available at any given time, but they are going to be priced from $40-$80,000. Yes, even the older ones are that expensive. If you want a 200-2003 diesel, 4x4 with everything, I would expect to pay $50k and you will have to get VERY lucky to find it in CO in a 3 week window. Most people fly across the country to buy the perfect rig when it becomes available.

Here are some:

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...939721951.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...933270379.html

https://boulder.craigslist.org/rvs/d...923327298.html
Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
What is your budget? There are several available at any given time, but they are going to be priced from $40-$80,000. Yes, even the older ones are that expensive. If you want a 200-2003 diesel, 4x4 with everything, I would expect to pay $50k and you will have to get VERY lucky to find it in CO in a 3 week window. Most people fly across the country to buy the perfect rig when it becomes available.

Here are some:

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...939721951.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...933270379.html

https://boulder.craigslist.org/rvs/d...923327298.html
Thank you very much for your help. Indeed, the window is short. There was one, but it was sold last week I had seen the same SMB on craiglist, but I'm aiming for 2004 and less because you can import anything in Canada when it's been 15 years.

Would you have a registration copy of an SMB. I wonder what is indicated. If it's not indicated that it's a camper, I would have no problem importing a newer
Old 08-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Most are registered as cars. I have 3 and they are all registered as "vans" not as motorhomes or anything special. The exteriors are not modified. I would think you could import something newer, but I wouldn't want to find out that I was wrong at the border.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

Looking for a SMB 2004 and before

I’m selling a 2002 Ford E250 Pleasure-Way Traverse (basically the same as a Sportsmobile RB50) for sale in Pennsylvania for $19,500. It’s a 2WD. Pleasure-Way is built in Canada, though, so if you ever needed service that would be a nice plus. This van is titled as a passenger car (station wagon), which is unusual. I disagree that most SMBs are titled as cars; I’d say either RV/mobile homes or trucks in most cases. You’d have to add 4WD after though, which I guess is a dealbreaker. It’s listed in the classifieds here.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Are you actually planning to import it into Canada? I would double check import regulations. There are a lot of restrictions on Class B RV's or Van Conversion. I think after 15 years there are less restrictions but there are still some. If I recall correctly, 4x4 conversion done on a used vehicle are not importable into Canada.

I also did not see Sportsmobile as a listed vehicle manufacture which means they did not apply for Transport Canada Certification which makes sense as I've yet to see a Canadian Plated SMB.