Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #1

Garage
Looking for our adventure rig

Greetings y'all,
My Fiancé and I have been dreaming for two years about our perfect adventure vehicle and we can almost taste it. Finances are in place to purchase our first SMB. We are a family of three with our 12 y/o boy and are pretty sure of what we are looking for. Any advice or a rig yet to be available would be much appreciated. I have been silently watching this site for a long time and admire the experience here, so here we go.

We are looking for:
-EB350 diesel, gas is ok but I prefer diesel for the Espar heating system.
-Engine size isn't critical to me. Just need to be able to power through heavy snow, steep grades and rough mountain roads. Not likely to tow any real weight.
-Electric PH top is critical, we will have gear and solar on the roof, van needs to sleep 3 or more.
-EB50 floor plan works but isn't perfect. More door side counter space and under counter storage is preferred.
-Fixed propane cooktop, we cook inside in freezing temps for much of the winter (skiing problem). We currently have an oven in our cabover camper and love it. If there is such a thing for SMB we are all ears.
-16 gallon (ish) potable water system, grey water tank not necessary (we camp outside of campgrounds 90% of the time)
-porta potty is not needed, ew, turns out nature is right outside.
-Solar is a bonus but I can add.
-4x4 is essential. I am not well versed on SMB vs Quigley, advice is welcome.
-Aluminess bumpers and ladder.
-A worthy winch is preferred.
-Lift will help, we routinely head 'home' in unplowed snow.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Part of this post is just to say Hi. We live in the PNW, The North Cascades are our primary playground but we will travel to pick up the right van. Once we have the van there are no borders :-) -Cheers

Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Diesel stove to eliminate the propane?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Garage
Hmm, Is that a closed combustion system like the Espar heater? I would love to be on a single fuel. We are used to a propane stove and oven however. .... Answered my own question. The Webasto and Wallas systems look awesome.

I guess that raises the question of ovens. I have yet to see a van with an oven, we have a Wedgewood in our camper that is great. Has anyone seen an oven that works and doesn't take up much space? Next level, diesel oven?
Rubbertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Check out a marine diesel oven? Wallas makes boat heaters, cook tops and ovens...

Wallas | Front page | Boat products, Cottage products, Camper products
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramp View Post
...We are looking for:
-EB350 diesel, gas is ok but I prefer diesel for the Espar heating system.
I thought espar did gas and diesel applications?? do they not?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

They do. You can get a B1LC or a B4 pretty easily and plumb it to your fuel tank.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

I was very fortunate to find this on Craigslist about 3 years ago. It works flawlessly. I have cooked many things inside including pizzas fresh fish cakes cookies lasagna. For just $20!

https://uedata.amazon.com/Coleman-In.../dp/B000W4TH30
I don't mind carrying a propane bottle because my instant hot water heater is propane too...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

You also mentioned "we" as in multiple people? If that's the case 16 gallons of onboard water is hardly enough to venture very far from a freshwater source. I would suggest getting at least 25 gallons if possible or the possibility of caring more potable water on the exterior to refill your tanks when needed. I have a 21 gallon tank on board and if I'm careful I can stretch that 4 to 5 days including a shower each day with cleaning dishes, brushing teeth so on and so forth. I do carry two 6 gallon jugs just in case I go far off grid and I also have a katadyn 10 liter water filter to grab water.

As for a 4 x 4 system, most give you a minimum of 4 inch lift typically 6 inch. Most of them also tend to use 33 or 35 inch tires so ground clearance and being able to drive in snow won't be much of an issue. You might want to look into ujointoffroad if you're really getting off the beaten path but very well behaved on road to.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm not sure I've ever seen a built-in oven in an SMB, but someone, somewhere, has probably done it.

As for a portable oven, this is the one I've eyed, but I haven't pulled the trigger because I can't rationalize taking up so much space.

https://uedata.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Herb
Old 11-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

Garage
Several on here have full ovens, not many though. I recall the van Rusty being one of them off the top of my head. I see a bunch of people use camp chef's in Sprinter builds and a few econoline as Herb mentioned, they are fairly cheap at $200 and run off propane
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote