Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #11

Re: looking for SMB for sale

Funny, this was the random header image that came up when I hit SUBMIT:

And here I was trying to be fair about the two options!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #12

I hate to here the story you have just told ...since ma and my wife are about to board a plane in the next day to buy one.....I have been informed that the owner has 2 offers on the plate , I hope we dont eat 600 worth of plane tickets. If we buy our van will be for sale soon GL on the search.
chpsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt
Yes I didnt really think of that but you are right i'm sure it would be nice to have the option of cooking outside. I think my wife really wants a stove fixed inside though. I have learned one thing. Life is so much easier to just agree with your wife and make it happen.
Josh and Yuliis
I agree with the portible cook top being able to cook outside
my wife PREFERS to cook outside

here is the way i went
(saw it here, cant remember who for credit!)
i dont lose any countertop..

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #14

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post -- I seem to have lost my original response.

Sorry to hear a "deal" slipped by you. Keep your chin up, there will be others. There are a lot of SMBs available out there right now.

In defense of Rolland: I don't think I would have accepted a deposit from a faraway sight-unseen buyer either. In my experience (which I feel is considerable as I regularly buy and sell 'unique' vehicles), the buyer expects the deposit to hold the vehicle SO HE CAN COME LOOK AT IT AND MAKE A PURCHASE DECISION. As a seller, I will always do business with a buyer who has evaluated the vehicle in person and is standing in front of me with cash over someone who has not seen the vehicle.

On the flip side, I occasionally buy, or want to buy, vehicles from far away. And it is maddening to express my serious interest and try to lock up a sale before I know exactly what the vehicle is.

Many times sellers advertise their vehicles overly optimistically. Many times buyers read vehicle ads overly optimistically.

The bright side of your story is that he called before you got on the plane :-) He could have failed to even to that!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #15

If someone says they are buying something and they've bought the airline tickets to come get it (evidences their good faith), I don't give a crap is the King of Siam shows up in the interim with pockets full of gold coins. He should have done the right thing and sold it to Josh and Yullis. A non-refundable deposit of $500/1,000/whatever would have protected the seller if he was concerned. He could have been clear with the other person and told him/her they were second inline should J and Y. not gone through with it. In fact, he could have accepted a refundable deposit from the other party to hold their place in line and refunded that deposit if J&Y flaked. The fact that the seller apparently said he would never sell it unless they didn't want it was something they relied on to their detriment and, if that was an accurate account, makes him a dirty rotten contract breacher. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
If someone says they are buying something and they've bought the airline tickets to come get it (evidences their good faith), I don't give a crap is the King of Siam shows up in the interim with pockets full of gold coins. He should have done the right thing and sold it to Josh and Yullis. A non-refundable deposit of $500/1,000/whatever would have protected the seller if he was concerned. He could have been clear with the other person and told him/her they were second inline should J and Y. not gone through with it. In fact, he could have accepted a refundable deposit from the other party to hold their place in line and refunded that deposit if J&Y flaked. The fact that the seller apparently said he would never sell it unless they didn't want it was something they relied on to their detriment and, if that was an accurate account, makes him a dirty rotten contract breacher. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
Absolutely, I agree that if the seller agreed to reserve the car, and failed to do so, he is lowly.

However, unless the buyer had committed to buy the car, I can't imagine why a seller would agree not to take an acceptable offer and wait for J&Y to evaluate the car so they could make an offer if they chose to. And that's the grey area for me. J&Y committed to buy the car, pending their inspection. From a seller's standpoint, that is much different than someone who has already approved their inspection, and commits to buy the car.

What would happen if Y&J did not approve their inspection of the car? What should happen? What if Rolland turned away a good offer, based on Y&J's representation that they were coming to buy the car, and then they didn't buy the car?

My guess is that there was mis-communication on both ends. The buyers wanted to hear that the seller would ignore all offers until this buyer made a determination. The seller wanted the buyers to hear whatever would make them get on the plane to come see him.

Lot of SMBs out there, and I am sure the right one will come along.

EDIT: I am surprised no one has given "Rolland" any credit for calling to inform that the car was no longer available. Truth told, I posted the whole deal over on another board, and no one there either was impressed with Rolland's thoughtfulness in this regard. I must be wrong in crediting him for that act.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb309
EDIT: I am surprised no one has given "Rolland" any credit for calling to inform that the car was no longer available. Truth told, I posted the whole deal over on another board, and no one there either was impressed with Rolland's thoughtfulness in this regard. I must be wrong in crediting him for that act.
No, I'm not going to give Rolland any credit. He had, in essence committed to a verbal contract, and then backed out of it for his convenience.

Quote:
... and asked the man if he wanted a deposit to hold it and he said " no I would never sell it unless you didn't want it" ....
It's as a former California governor said later in life "Trust but verify". Like most major purchases, you make an offer based upon verification that the seller accurately represented the product (vehicle, land, house,...), and if not accurately/truthfully represented the contract is void.

The most probable reason he called was that he couldn't face Josh and Yuliis when he knew what he did was wrong.

Herb
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
No, I'm not going to give Rolland any credit. He had, in essence committed to a verbal contract, and then backed out of it for his convenience.

Quote:
... and asked the man if he wanted a deposit to hold it and he said " no I would never sell it unless you didn't want it" ....
It's as a former California governor said later in life "Trust but verify". Like most major purchases, you make an offer based upon verification that the seller accurately represented the product (vehicle, land, house,...), and if not accurately/truthfully represented the contract is void.

The most probable reason he called was that he couldn't face Josh and Yuliis when he knew what he did was wrong.

Herb
Yes, that seems pretty clear that he said he would hold the car.

The "trust, but verify" part of your post speaks directly to what I am not understanding. J&Y trust that the car is whatever Rolland says it is, but need to verify before they commit the $25K, $50K or whatever. They have a pending commitment to buy the car, if they like what they see. The buyer who actually got the car had cleared the final approval and was ready to purchase the car in that moment.

As the seller, I would have done the same thing.

What I would have done differently is refused to hold the car for J&Y in the first place. I recognize that that would have likely cost me their business.

I wish "Rolland" would chime in with his version of commitment made. I suspect his memory of the "commitment" differs somewhat from J&Y's. Not because either party is lying, but because people always hear what they want to hear.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
What I would have done differently is refused to hold the car for J&Y in the first place. I recognize that that would have likely cost me their business.
That right there is a game changer. If that were the case, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Herb
Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #20

Thank you for everyone who has posted on our behalf. It is nice to see that other people agree that it was a underhanded deal that we went through. We didnt post all that to lash out a Rolland ( even though it feels pretty good when other people do it ). We just wanted to share our experience so that it would be mless likely to happen again.
I understand that Rolland had been trying to sell his SMB for some time and was probably let down himself a few times on possible sales. The fact is though, and it's pretty simple, he said he would hold it for me after i said we bought one way tickets to come buy it. I had the full amount in our bag with us and providing that the SMB was what he represented it to be, we would be driving it home. Then 4 hours before our flight he called and said "sorry for the trouble this is going to cause you but I sold it". I mentioned how poor of sales ethics that was and he had nothing to say. Its pretty simple, and very clear communication was given ( I thought ) on our part. In addition we offered a deposit to make sure it would be there and he said he would never sell it before we saw it.
I wish he would have something to say other than the apology he already offered, but it wouldn't really change anything so I like to think things happen for a reason. It was a V-10 and we really want a diesel so maybe we it was meant to happen so we could find something even better. It was a pretty good deal though.
I would have never found this web site had that not happened. I have made a few promising contacts from here and everyone seems to be very knoledgable and nice. I am sure it will be a great rescource in the future. Thanks again,
Josh and Yuliis
humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote