Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Garage
Looking to buy a "bullet proofed" 6.0

I know there are lots of discussions on "bullet proofing" or "fixing" the 6.o for the long term. I am looking to buy a van that claims to have been "bullet proofed" with the necessary invoice provided. I believe it is a valid invoice and a reputable mechanic shop, but I am not sure if the job done can be classified as fixing the 6.0 for long term use. The work was done on an engine with 61,000 miles, and now has 71,000 on it. Following are the items from the invoice that were done and parts used (fairly complete):

LABOUR
Install SCT tuner
Set up and perform EGR cooler delete.
R&R cylinder head's,gasket's,
Stud kit,
Water pump
thermostat
seal
radiator cap,
fuel injector's
turbocharger,
sIlicone couplers
performanoe clamps,
HPOP
IPR
flush cooling system
R&R air intake system
Install FASS fuel pump system
Install a pod gauge set
Install. 4" exhaust and 6' chrome tip
Refresh FICM with all upgrades.

PARTS
Water pump
Thermostat
Radiator cap.
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Serpentine belt
cylinder head gasket set.
turbocharger,
fuel injectors,
Fass fuel system,
power chip and monitor.
Cylinder head gasket set.
Cylinder head's rebuilt.
Glow plug/fuel injector wire harness.
Element.
Exhaust "y" pipe.
High pressure oil pump assembly.
Exhaust manifold gasket and hardware kit.
Value cover gasket.
Rear crankshaft seal.
Transfer case to transmlssion gasket
filter bolt gasket.
Fuel supply lube and seal.
Hex head bolt.
Intake gasket.
Fuel pressure regulator
Valve rocker retainer
Glow plug

Does this look like a complete job, anything missing? - total cost close to $16,000.

Thanks!

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

Yep, that's about the going rate. That's a ton of work and the engine had to come out. I'm surprised they replaced the HPOP those don't usually fail except for the earlier 6.0 (2003-2004.5). Also odd that they put in a new turbo at 61k unless the parts were just for a refurbish.

With the EGR delete make sure you don't have to comply with an emissions check where your going to register the vehicle.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Personally, I think they went overboard on what is needed, especially for a van,vice a 6.0 pickup that in stock form makes a lot more HP.

I think that van seems like someone wanted to keep that van for along time. Surprising that they're selling so soon after that kind of investment.

Herb
Old 11-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Personally, I think they went overboard on what is needed, especially for a van,vice a 6.0 pickup that in stock form makes a lot more HP.

I think that van seems like someone wanted to keep that van for along time. Surprising that they're selling so soon after that kind of investment.

Herb

Agreed. Above and beyond for a 60K motor unless something catastrophic happened. That's a lot of cabbage for peace of mind on an motor barely broken in.

With the SCT tuner and FICM work I'd ask what has been done with regard to PCM and FICM tuning. That rig could easily be making 100+ HP than stock.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #5

I don't see a replacement engine wiring harness in the parts list? That's an otherwise thorough list of work, but likely to cause damage to an old engine harness.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't see a replacement engine wiring harness in the parts list? That's an otherwise thorough list of work, but likely to cause damage to an old engine harness.
There is a new wiring harness...

Looks like a complete job. Thanks!
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

One of the issues is that the cooling system plugs up with crap, which is an issue with the oil cooler. The trademarked "bulletproof" work includes replacing that oil cooler. In my van the oil cooler was replaced with a Ford OEM unit instead of the "bulletproof" unit, but a coolant filtration system was added to keep the crap from plugging the new cooler. Also a monitoring system was installed that uses the OBDII port. I monitor the oil temp and coolant temp and make sure that they track closely. If the oil temp gets much above the coolant temp, then there is possibly an issue with the cooler plugging.

I see a TON of good work done, but I don't see that a long term solution, other than a flush, has been done to address the oil cooling. This is maybe the only thing that was done to my van that I don't see has been done to the van in question here.
Kirk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

Unless my old eyes are playing tricks on me one important thing I do not see on the parts list is a new oil cooler, this is the part that gets clogged up as a result of the coolant boiling in the EGR cooler causing the silicates to drop out into a sticky slimy sledge that blocks the passages in the oil cooler (compliments of the crappy Ford Gold coolant). Seems odd they would do an EGR delete and not replace the oil cooler. Good Info HERE
HECKLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk B View Post
One of the issues is that the cooling system plugs up with crap, which is an issue with the oil cooler. The trademarked "bulletproof" work includes replacing that oil cooler. In my van the oil cooler was replaced with a Ford OEM unit instead of the "bulletproof" unit, but a coolant filtration system was added to keep the crap from plugging the new cooler. Also a monitoring system was installed that uses the OBDII port. I monitor the oil temp and coolant temp and make sure that they track closely. If the oil temp gets much above the coolant temp, then there is possibly an issue with the cooler plugging.

I see a TON of good work done, but I don't see that a long term solution, other than a flush, has been done to address the oil cooling. This is maybe the only thing that was done to my van that I don't see has been done to the van in question here.

By removing the source of potential failure from a clogged oil cooler, the EGR delete IS the solution. Or, 'Was' in this case. No big deal to re-use the OEM cooler if it wasn't clogged but for that amount of money I would have replaced it anyway for piece of mind. The newer one supposedly has one extra row of cooling fins.

The Bulletproof cooler is an overly expensive solution in search of a problem.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER View Post
Unless my old eyes are playing tricks on me one important thing I do not see on the parts list is a new oil cooler, this is the part that gets clogged up as a result of the coolant boiling in the EGR cooler causing the silicates to drop out into a sticky slimy sledge that blocks the passages in the oil cooler (compliments of the crappy Ford Gold coolant). Seems odd they would do an EGR delete and not replace the oil cooler. Good Info HERE

The oil cooler is upstream of the EGR cooler. After the EGR it will have gone back through the radiator before making it back to the oil cooler again.

Ford Gold is actually a decent coolant it just wasn't designed for a 100,000 maintenance interval on a diesel. Flush and fill every 30k and it will be fine. Coolant filter is a good idea and indeed was spec'd by International in the design of the engine but Ford eliminated it to save costs.