Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Outfitting My Rig-WTB Several Items

Aloha Everyone,
I'm new to the site as I just purchased my rig a couple of days ago. Unfortunately its not a SMB as my wife insisted on a passenger van instead of a full campervan so I will eventually be building out an off road trailer to tow behind my rig. I was able to find a beautiful, near mint condition, maroon colored 2004 E350 V8 Chateau Quadvan from Rex in Portland who happens to be the original mechanic for Quadvan and he built the vehicle for himself. I'll be posting some pics as soon as I get the time. I drove the rig down to SoCal a couple of days ago and its quite a wonderful beast. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, and I would like to do a few modifications before shipping it to the islands in early September so I am looking to purchase the following items in addition to others :

1. Electric or manual rear seat/bed. My van has the 3rd row bench seat already but would like to replace with one that converts into a bed.

2. Heavy duty front and rear bumpers-Would like to protect this beautiful van from needing any expensive body work.

3. Nerf Bars/Sidesteps/Sliders-Again, body protection but the van is also very high and difficult to get in and out of.

Thanks in advance for help in locating any of these items. I usually prefer to purchase used items for the cost savings but will also consider reasonably priced new items. Also would consider trade for free stay in our beautiful ocean view home on the Big Island with the possible use of our 4WD Van or Chevy Tahoe and our fishing boat. We travel to the mainland twice/year around the Christmas holidays and in the summer and our place is vacant at those times.

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Outfitting My Rig-WTB Several Items

There are some hoop steps listed in the classified section
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

#2 - Aluminess has a forum deal: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7357

#3 - None of the standard offerings (e.g. that you'll find used) are actually protection from anything but gravel.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

Being that I purchased nerf bars, front, and rear bumpers from Aluminess I have to say.. They are really great guys and make a decent product. Beautiful craftsmanship.
However the nerf bars are expensive steps, and offer no protection for the body at all, would crumble under a load, probably destroying the body, and they lower your ground clearance by about 6 inches. The rear tire carrier needs to be tightened every 5 times I open the back doors. ( I keep the tools to do so handy 3/16" hex and a 1/2" socket. I believe a little more thought could be put into the upper support and also the swing away carriers don't stay open.. maybe a gas shock is in order.. but for the $2400 price tag I'm not that thrilled with my purchase. I'm going to have to pay some one $500 to fix the problems due to the fact I can't weld aluminum........ yet. Front bumper is really nice no complaints with that yet but I haven't hooked my 16.5 ti winch to anything yet to see if it flies off when I need to pull myself out of something.. the only support is at the dog ears on the frame, I believe there should be some other frame attachment. IMHO.
$1995 Front
$2375 Rear
$495 Nerf Bars
plus whatever the front hitch costs I think $65.. I blocked it out.

with tax over $5000..hmmm I wonder how far my head was up my A#$ when I decided to blow that wad of cash.

Hindsight, I could have saved a bundle, been patient, bought a tube bender and made some serious OFF ROAD BUMPERS and Sliders for my VAN.. that would have lasted, instead I over payed to satisfy my impulse buyer and have some very pretty and expensive ornamental alumawork on my van.

If and when I decide to dump the equipment I'll be selling at a discount price. Because I know it won't hold up to the punishment that's coming for it.

Stay tuned on the classifieds.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #5

Thanks Toolman!!!

That is some excellent advice. I love the look of the aluminess but was wondering how aluminum would actually hold up to brutal treatment. I've got a few leads on some heavy duty bumpers and nerf bars so I'll keep you informed as things progress.

Bill

Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighodad808
Thanks Toolman!!!

That is some excellent advice. I love the look of the aluminess but was wondering how aluminum would actually hold up to brutal treatment. I've got a few leads on some heavy duty bumpers and nerf bars so I'll keep you informed as things progress.

Bill

www.reunel.com/

They have designs for SMB.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

yes,

I've seen those. Look nice and probably heavy. If I go that route will probably need to change out the coil springs on my rig.

Bill

Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

Coil springs are easy to change out. I've done it 3-4 times trying to get the right spring in my van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Being that I purchased nerf bars, front, and rear bumpers from Aluminess I have to say.. They are really great guys and make a decent product. Beautiful craftsmanship.
However the nerf bars are expensive steps, and offer no protection for the body at all, would crumble under a load, probably destroying the body, and they lower your ground clearance by about 6 inches. The rear tire carrier needs to be tightened every 5 times I open the back doors. ( I keep the tools to do so handy 3/16" hex and a 1/2" socket. I believe a little more thought could be put into the upper support and also the swing away carriers don't stay open.. maybe a gas shock is in order.. but for the $2400 price tag I'm not that thrilled with my purchase. I'm going to have to pay some one $500 to fix the problems due to the fact I can't weld aluminum........ yet. Front bumper is really nice no complaints with that yet but I haven't hooked my 16.5 ti winch to anything yet to see if it flies off when I need to pull myself out of something.. the only support is at the dog ears on the frame, I believe there should be some other frame attachment. IMHO.
$1995 Front
$2375 Rear
$495 Nerf Bars
plus whatever the front hitch costs I think $65.. I blocked it out.

with tax over $5000..hmmm I wonder how far my head was up my A#$ when I decided to blow that wad of cash.

Hindsight, I could have saved a bundle, been patient, bought a tube bender and made some serious OFF ROAD BUMPERS and Sliders for my VAN.. that would have lasted, instead I over payed to satisfy my impulse buyer and have some very pretty and expensive ornamental alumawork on my van.

If and when I decide to dump the equipment I'll be selling at a discount price. Because I know it won't hold up to the punishment that's coming for it.

Stay tuned on the classifieds.

hmmmm

I took mine back before my two week Tour de Utah for tweeking
They ran thru everything, replaces bolts and washers on both swing arms
Welded in Door Holder Opener Thingys
Spent 3 hours on my rig
My invoice was less than $100

My bet is that if you documented your concerns, and could not get to thier shop
they would work out a deal to have it tweaked locally

Never heard of anyones winch pulling out

Neigbor hit my bump at high speed coming in to park
Tore off all her molding, can openered the passenger side
Car was totaled
I had to spend 3 minutes getting the scuffed paint off

Being as these rigs are heavy to start with
Methinks that added weight of steel front and rear would be alot
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #10

I am amazed at how light the Aluminess bumpers.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote