Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #21

If I see another advertisement for a 7.3 PSD truck/van that has 300,000 miles and says "engine just broken in" I'm gonna lose my mind....

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
If I see another advertisement for a 7.3 PSD truck/van that has 300,000 miles and says "engine just broken in" I'm gonna lose my mind....
While I wouldn't say that 300K is just broken in, try Googling "ford million mile truck" and see how many hits you get. Here's just one of many examples,

https://leftlanenews.com/2011/05/05/...till-counting/
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Nunan View Post
Curious... what kind of van are you looking for? I mean.... are you looking?
Wonder what price point you want and what are the “must haves” for a van you want.
Maybe you don’t need 4x or a pop top... maybe you just want a hard top low roof dodge with 40k miles on it and only want to spend 12k...

I think he’s just getting into the market and is shocked at how old the vans are that sell for $40-50k. Having sold a bunch of vans recently, many people start looking, then check KBB and think that because the “van” is only worth $1500, the SMB prices are completely insane.

Once they’ve watched the market for 6 months and seen good deals for $40k slip through their fingers, they either get serious or give up.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I think he’s just getting into the market and is shocked at how old the vans are that sell for $40-50k. Having sold a bunch of vans recently, many people start looking, then check KBB and think that because the “van” is only worth $1500, the SMB prices are completely insane.

Once they’ve watched the market for 6 months and seen good deals for $40k slip through their fingers, they either get serious or give up.

That’s truth right there! Everybody eventually either gets serious or gives up. Any number of “normal” folks (as in, not van-crazed as we clearly are) will look at all this and what it all goes for and will say - as they walk away - “You people are out of your minds.” Well, ya. So are people who pay a million five for a 3 bedroom house. But what do I know?
Old 11-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #25

Garage
I am new to this, have been watching the market for about 4 months and lurking here for just as long (as well as at Expedition Portal). I am in the market for a van, just trying to learn before jumping in. Amazing how you long timers pegged me...

My must haves: I am looking for an older diesel that will run on the dirtier fuel in Central America - a 6.0 or a 7.3. I would like a 135" WB for maneuvering in tight places. I need 4x4 mainly for mud, jungle, rivers and more mud. I want a pop top for space. A/C.

Things I would like or will add: Bullet proofing if needed, Solar, roof rack, ladder, front bumper with winch, rear bumper for spare tire, hidden compartment in back.

Pluses: Sink, stove, swivel seat, security alarm and engine shutoff switch, outside motion sensor lights.

Don't need: Microwave, heaters - both water and air, shower.

This will be a work van (I am a photographer @tonyrath) but I will be living out of it for weeks or months at a time.

The engine and tranny are my major concerns as service and parts is problematic in Central America.

Most vans that have fit my needs have run between $65k-$75k. Some have sold for $10k-$15k less than asking price. I have bids in on three vans currently (one has been on the market for 6 months) and am hoping that winter will depress the market and bring down the prices. Maybe wishful thinking.

Thanks for all the comments, this is an awesome forum with a great amount of experience. Thanks for tolerating a new guy that might ask dumb questions...
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
My must haves: ...I would like a 135" WB for maneuvering in tight places.
just an FYI, both the e350 options have the same wheelbase. the extra space in the eb is behind the rear axle. main gain from the rb is better departure angles. the chevys wb is the one that varies, but I’m not as well informed on those platforms to be of much help.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #27

Garage
Right, I should have wrote "rb" instead of 135". Mixing my brands...
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote