Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #11

Re: FOR SALE: '06 Sportsmobile (Ford E350 EB diesel) $76K

Dang Herb. Can't believe you're moving on. Really miss our SMB for a majority of our outings.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #12

I just purchased my Quadvan Chateau with V8 for 24.5K secondhand and love it. Only 53K miles on it and still looks brand new. Wife didn't want a full camper van so this was the compromise. Was having such a hard time finding one that I started to look at Excursions but eventually found out that they're pretty notorious for being unreliable and breaking down a lot with lots of transmission issues. I too plan on getting some sort of off road trailer or Roof top tent for camping. Just thought you might want to look into this before you go that route. I think the E-350 passenger vans are more comfortable and spacious than the Excursions too.

Bill

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Site Team

I appreciate everyone trying to talk me into keeping my SMB, but I've thought through all the aspects of my decision and am confident in my decision.

I'd hardly call the 4R110 transmission of the Excursion and F-series pickups "notorious", but yes it can be improved to be more reliable, just like every other transmission. As for overall reliability of an Ex, it's no different than the corresponding series of F-series pickups, which in my biased opinion, are the best trucks of that period.

Here's a good opportunity for someone to feel the love of this forum by purchasing a gently used SMB.

Herb
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #14

What can you say, we're quite possibly a smidge biased!

I just know a week after you sell, someone will come looking for the rare hard to find Transformer SMB...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #15

This is no doubt my favorite SMB on here!

I'm just about $70k too short?

Good luck with the sale Herb!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Trying to keep the bumps to a minimum, but here's a mid-August bump.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Team

I've had some questions on the configuration options, so here are some additional pics (click on thumbnails to enlarge).

With the front-most Captains seat removed

With the front-most Captains seat installed

With the taller rear bed platform

With the lower rear bed platform

Penthouse bed size

With the rear bench installed (Rear seat headroom is somewhat limited. Wouldn't recommend for people over 5'7" - 5'8")
There is approximately 18" of floor space behind the installed rear bench seat. The available space tapers to approximately 9" at the top of the bench seat due to the angle of the seatback.

With everything removed from the back

FYI, the van comes with an additional three, yes three, Captains chairs so you'll have plenty of backups. Where the galley unit is installed, originally there was one Captains seat installed, and where the bench seat in installed, there were two Captains seats. The mounting brackets are different for the bench seat and Captains seats, so the Captains seats cannot be installed there with the current hardware.

[EDIT: The other two Captains seats are also on quick release mounting platforms, and can be easily removed]

Herb
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Site Team

Have had a few interested parties lately, and hosted a few test drives, but no one's pulled the trigger yet.

btt

Herb
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
Site Team

Had a few questions that have come up a few times, so I thought I'd answer them here and in my ad on ExPo.

1) Yes, I monitor EGTs. The BD Power X Monitor displays EGTs, Trans temps and Boost. The pyrometer is pre-turbo, and the alarm feature of the X-Monitor is set to 1300 degrees. I drive by the EGTs and never let them go above 1150 or so, and try to keep them below 1100 at all times.

My ideal EGTs before turning off the engine are 350 degrees, my goal is 375 degrees, and I NEVER shut off the engine until the EGTs are below 400 degrees.

2) Yes the SMB has a Hi Idle feature. The transmission must be in Park, with the parking brake engaged to operate the hi idle (also known as auxiliary idle) which raises the RPMs to somewhere around 1200 rpm. Useful if running the compressor for extended periods of time.

Hope this answers some people's questions.

FYI, I also religiously monitor trans temps, and have never had anything approaching high temps. No doubt the MagHytec transmission pan with Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid helps in this regard. I also monitor engine oil temps and engine water temps on my ScanGauge. Monitoring the differential between these two readings let me know earlier this year that I had a problem with the oil cooler before there was any failure. This led me to have the oil cooler replaced, and I also had the factory EGR Cooler replaced with a unit from BulletProof Diesel at that time.

Herb
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #20

Garage
FOR SALE: '06 Sportsmobile (Ford E350 EB diesel) $76K

Herb, I can only get the thumbnails to show up. Are there higher s pics anywhere?

Brad