Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

SOLD: 2006 SMB 4x4 V10

I am selling my van that I cherish and love. Our family has decided to go a different route and get a truck and trailer combo instead for a little more room since we are a big ski family and we stay up at the mountain on the weekends. This van is everything I ever expected a Sportsmobile to be and then some. This is a beast in the snow and mud. I really do enjoy this van and hope it goes to someone who enjoys it equally as well.

2006 Full Sportsmobile build and 4x4 system by SMB
Currently just under 35,000 miles
E350 super duty V-10
RB-50 layout
white

Everything works great and in great condition. Exterior is flawless. One tiny door ding on the cargo doors but no other flaws anywhere else. I keep it garaged when not in use so away from the elements.

SMB build includes;
-manual PH top with front safari window and Yakima racks mounted on top
-fiamma awning which is a manual crank out awning with Eli brackets installed
-16 gallons on board water
-sink
-microwave
-refrigerator
-Tripp Lite inverter
-rear shower
-both 110 and 12V outlets throughout
-Interior lights changed to LED (except flourescent lights still original)
-exterior lights changed to LED (one on each side of van exterior)
-on board AGM 4D house battery (to power refrigerator, lights, microwave)
-full Aluminess bumpers both front and rear and aluminess ladder to the roof.
-Thule bike rack custom made by Sportsmobile on the rear part of the aluminess bumper. Holds 4 bikes.
-portable table
-full roadkill sound deadening mat done at build in entire van area.
-insulated
-Atlas II transfer case for front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive.
-warn hubs
-Toyo MT tires on Baja black wheels with about 4k on them and spare mounted on the aluminess. Tire size is 305/70R 16
-stereo install about 5k invested. DVD player with flip down 18" flat screen and huge Alpine amp with subwoofer and MB Quart speakers. (very nice sound)
-Full Autopage alarm system installed with silent arming feature
-rear A/C and cabin A/C
-all windows dark tint including drivers and passengers.
-XL storage under the rear floor
-black bra for the front hood
-black billet grill
-black billet lockable gas tank cover
-rancho steering stabilizer kit added
-swivel leather seats both driver and passenger
-has Ford class 5 tow receiver in the rear and wired for trailer lights
-added remote keypad entry
-has extreme air compressor under the van for filling tires and other toys
-front and rear Hella fog and back up lights with separate control switch in cab. Front Hella added yellow lens and rock protection.
-has the child safety seat restraint system installed in the rear bench seat.
-city water hook up and electrical plug in on the exterior.
-has transferflow gas tank installed so 40 gallon capacity
-bushwacker flares
-daylight and night shades on all windows
-loincoin flooring and rug insert
-carbon monoxide and smoke detectors interior

This van was bought from the dealer by SMB and and built by them.

The van came with 35 " (315/70R 16) tires from SMB so the speedometer was re-calibrated by Ford for those tires at that time. I downsized to a 34" tire and so the speedometer is currently off by about 2-3 mph.

Engine Oil and filter changes every year. (usually use XO 5w-20 QSP)
all Zerq points greased every year

Recent maintenance completed;
-fuel filter replaced and new starter battery 2/13/10 24,986 miles
-transmission oil change and flush w/ seal conditioner 9/21/10 (dealer used XT 6 Qsp mercon torqshift sp) 29,215 miles
-Atlas II transfer case oil change 1/16/11 (used amsoil 75w-90 API GL-4) 29,495 miles
-Front differential oil change 2/5/11 (used Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear oil) 29,665 miles

Due for service oil and filter change and rear yoke seal looks to be leaking slightly so will replace then too.

I have all documentation and original window stickers for the van and all binders and paperwork from SMB for this van. I also have maintenance records but all maintenance is listed above.

Asking $65,000. (SMB price new was about 100K) Located in the PNW in Seattle. Email me at smithonline@comcast.net. or call cell at 206-669-8461

more pics in my gallery.
Original SMB build sheet.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #2

Re: For Sale 2006 SMB 4x4 V10

nice looking van, and ad.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

nice van
what kind of heating system does it have?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

For anyone looking at this rig, and wishing it had a diesel, let me throw out a few benefits of the V10:

1) MORE HORSEPOWER

2) No EGR cooler which will fail eventually, and when it does fail, it causes the turbo to rust up, which causes it to over-boost and blow out turbo lines or even the intercooler. That's a good scenario. If the symptoms are not caught in time, the engine will blow a head gasket(s), and if continued to drive like this will result in a hydro-locked engine.

3) The Engine Oil cooler in the V10 is not susceptible to plugging. If for some reason it does plug, you have have elevated Engine Oil temps, and that's it. WHEN the engine oil cooler in the diesel fails, it almost always causes the EGR cooler to fail. See #1.

4) The Fuel pump in the V10 rarely fails as long as fuel filters are replaced as scheduled. If it does fail, your van won't run. Usually a smack with a mallet will get you a few more starts. The Fuel Pump in the Diesel fails often. When it fails, the low fuel pressure usually damages all 8 injectors, which retail for $266 a piece. This will often leave the vehicle stranded on the side of the road until a tow truck comes along.

5) The V10 does not have a FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). When the FICM fail, it can instant stalling, or a no-start condition. This can damage 1 or 8 injectors. It can also cause injection timing to be off, which will result in detonation which can crack injectors and result in hydro-locked engine. Worse case, somebody unfamiliar with the engine will force the engine to turn over against the hydro-locked cylinder, and bend a rod.

6) Head Gasket failures on the V10 are almost unheard of. Head Gasket failures on the diesel are somewhat common. Excess cylinder pressure from the use of a programmer, or from incorrect injection timing due to a bad FICM, can cause the head bolts to stretch. This can also be caused by a single over-heating event (see #2). The V10 is so robust, you can crash the van, lose the radiator, and still drive home up to 50 miles so says the owner's manual. I've driven 180 miles, with a trailer, without an intact radiator and without any adverse affects.

7) V10 requires a $30 oil change every 7500 miles. Diesel requires a $100+ oil change every 3,000 miles. Failure to meticulously maintain engine oil in the diesel will lead to Injector and/or HPOP failure. Use of any aftermarket oil filter (which the exception of bypass filtration systems) will cause the filter bowl drain valve to stick open, and allow some of the oil to bypass the oil filter cartridge, and result in damage injectors and/or HPOP. Any oil filtration bypassing allows debris to accumulate on the HPOP oil filter screen. When enough debris restricts flow, the screen ruptures, and those pieces than cause the the HPOP/injector problems.

FWIW - these are not internet rumors. These are all issues I have personally repaired on customer's trucks. I have dealt with every single one of those problems on a 6.0 diesel within the last 90 days. I haven't even gotten to the EGR valve issues....

PS - in the last 2 years, we have only one gas SuperDuty truck or van in our shop for repairs. It was an '03 E350 5.4L Wagon that needed an alternator at 530,000 miles. The driver said that was the only repair it's ever needed. It was a 20 minute job.

I'd love a V10 SMB like that one. But with only 334,000 miles on mine, it's hard to justify upgrading to something newer at this point.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

^^^^^^^^

Maybe some of that is true, but I have never had any trouble with my 7.3 PSD, and I change my own oil for a lot less than $100.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair
^^^^^^^^

Maybe some of that is true, but I have never had any trouble with my 7.3 PSD, and I change my own oil for a lot less than $100.
You are right. The 7.3L have MUCH less issues than the 6.0. However, finding a low-mile 7.3L is a challenge, since they ended in '03. Even a DIY'er will shell out close to $70 for the oil and filter for a 6.0.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
For anyone looking at this rig, and wishing it had a diesel, let me throw out a few benefits of the V10:

1) MORE HORSEPOWER

2) No EGR cooler which will fail eventually, and when it does fail, it causes the turbo to rust up, which causes it to over-boost and blow out turbo lines or even the intercooler. That's a good scenario. If the symptoms are not caught in time, the engine will blow a head gasket(s), and if continued to drive like this will result in a hydro-locked engine.

3) The Engine Oil cooler in the V10 is not susceptible to plugging. If for some reason it does plug, you have have elevated Engine Oil temps, and that's it. WHEN the engine oil cooler in the diesel fails, it almost always causes the EGR cooler to fail. See #1.

4) The Fuel pump in the V10 rarely fails as long as fuel filters are replaced as scheduled. If it does fail, your van won't run. Usually a smack with a mallet will get you a few more starts. The Fuel Pump in the Diesel fails often. When it fails, the low fuel pressure usually damages all 8 injectors, which retail for $266 a piece. This will often leave the vehicle stranded on the side of the road until a tow truck comes along.

5) The V10 does not have a FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). When the FICM fail, it can instant stalling, or a no-start condition. This can damage 1 or 8 injectors. It can also cause injection timing to be off, which will result in detonation which can crack injectors and result in hydro-locked engine. Worse case, somebody unfamiliar with the engine will force the engine to turn over against the hydro-locked cylinder, and bend a rod.

6) Head Gasket failures on the V10 are almost unheard of. Head Gasket failures on the diesel are somewhat common. Excess cylinder pressure from the use of a programmer, or from incorrect injection timing due to a bad FICM, can cause the head bolts to stretch. This can also be caused by a single over-heating event (see #2). The V10 is so robust, you can crash the van, lose the radiator, and still drive home up to 50 miles so says the owner's manual. I've driven 180 miles, with a trailer, without an intact radiator and without any adverse affects.

7) V10 requires a $30 oil change every 7500 miles. Diesel requires a $100+ oil change every 3,000 miles. Failure to meticulously maintain engine oil in the diesel will lead to Injector and/or HPOP failure. Use of any aftermarket oil filter (which the exception of bypass filtration systems) will cause the filter bowl drain valve to stick open, and allow some of the oil to bypass the oil filter cartridge, and result in damage injectors and/or HPOP. Any oil filtration bypassing allows debris to accumulate on the HPOP oil filter screen. When enough debris restricts flow, the screen ruptures, and those pieces than cause the the HPOP/injector problems.

FWIW - these are not internet rumors. These are all issues I have personally repaired on customer's trucks. I have dealt with every single one of those problems on a 6.0 diesel within the last 90 days. I haven't even gotten to the EGR valve issues....

PS - in the last 2 years, we have only one gas SuperDuty truck or van in our shop for repairs. It was an '03 E350 5.4L Wagon that needed an alternator at 530,000 miles. The driver said that was the only repair it's ever needed. It was a 20 minute job.

I'd love a V10 SMB like that one. But with only 334,000 miles on mine, it's hard to justify upgrading to something newer at this point.
Well said. I'm very happy with my V10, and the next one I buy will also be a V10 .
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

Good to see the facts listed in a logical, easy to follow, and well laid out manner!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Just got back from a couple day camping trip.... It is hard to get rid of this van!!! Went camping and fishing with my boys off the North Cascade highway. Was out of cell range and I know there are a couple calls to be answered on it and will get to those soon.

Van now has 35,300 miles on it.

As far as V-10 vs diesel goes. This thread convinced me to go V-10. Folks getting bed plate leaks fixed and the leak still comes back sometimes. When that is out of warranty it is a $9000 out of pocket fix. I can buy a whole new V-10 engine for that.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...plate+leak+fix
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ilit=bed+plate
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #10

I'm locking this because it's turning into a gas vs. diesel thread. Sorry Roonie, good luck selling.