Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

SOLD - 2008 E-350 5.4L V8 4x4 adventure van w SMB poptop

SOLD - thanks for your interest

Price drop: asking $38,500

This is a bump with a pointer to all the details on its new website.
For as much detail as you will want, go to http://sportmobileforsale.us.

The short version of the equipment list:
Sportsmobile pop-top (penthouse) with bed
Refrigerator with solar power including solar panel, solar charge controller and a 100aH AGM battry.
Aluminess rear bumper with deluxe box and tire carrier
Aluminess front bumper with brush guard and 2" receiver
Aluminess nerf bars
4x4 by Advance 4-Wheel Drive (less than 6k miles on the conversion includes:
Front and rear electronic lockers.
Transfer case skidplate
Rancho shock upgrade for rears
Bushwhacker flares
Pre-wire for portable winch front and rear

285/75R16 Goodrich All-Terrain T/As on Ultra Crusher rims.

For those of you who've been shopping for a while, you know it's a pretty tight market for these machines. You can be in this low-miles rig for a reasonable price so your off-road camping summer can begin immediately.

It has been an excellent machine in the year I've had it. It has been to Moab where it happily kept up in fairly extreme circumstances with Land Rover D90s and Jeep Rubicons in our group. It has also been on a long trip from Las Vegas to Montana and back with lots of stops in between. Plus a bunch of smaller trips in the desert and mountains around southern Nevada. It currently has 34260 miles on it, so I've put on about 6000 miles. About 5000 of those miles are on the new 4x4 gear.

Asking $38,500 and negotiable.
See http://sportsmobileforsale.us/#price if you'd like to get right to the pricing strategy.

This machine is located in Las Vegas, NV.

Please contact me by email at
rr999cb-smb2008@yahoo.com

I'm hard to reach by phone, but I do check email often. For best response, please give me a number where I can call you.

Thanks for your interest.

http://sportmobileforsale.us

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

Re: 2008 E-350 5.4L V8 4x4 "camperized" w/ Sportsmobile pop

Nice van...good luck with the sale
Buck
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Some q's:

1. Width of PH bed (SMB website does not show this)?

2. Pic of what type of cabs/storage is on the passenger's side on van?

3. Any idea how hard it would be to get slider windows w/ screens put in to replace rear sidepop out windows?

Thx
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Hi Gbail,

Thanks for your inquiry.

1. The SMB bed is 40" wide for the cushion part. You can spread out to a total of 54" wide including the 7" on either side of the bed itself.

2. There is a 3-drawer unit on the right, just behind the door. You can kind of see on the right it in this pic, taken by the guy who built the interior:

There is also under-seat storage under each of the seats in the foreground in that pic.

3. No idea. I'd guess that this is the kind of thing that an RV joint would deal with. Though on my 2005, the windows don't slide. Instead, one of the horizontal panes cranks outward and has a screen for when it's open. Presumably something like that could be made to work. I wouldn't leave it open while driving though.

Please note that the Fiamma awning is back on the van now. There is an extensive post about the mounting process and some pics of the van with the awning mounted, here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...10686&start=79

I had the rig detailed this week, but haven't had a chance to photograph it. Was going to do that today, but got a sudden urge to go get in some wilderness in the 2005 I just got, so fresh photos inside and out of the 2008 will have to wait until tomorrow. Once I do the photos and put the complete description on a website, I'll put more effort into advertising it effectively.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Hi,

I am very interested in your van and so I am looking forward to seeing a few more interior pics as soon as you get them posted.

Could you please also post some pics showing the side windows open? I really did not quite understand your description of them cranking out to open, unless they open like the side door windows and pop open at the bottom only a few inches.

I am actively trying to sell my Chevy 2007 Z-71 4x4 truck to raise the additional cash to buy a 4WD SMB. I sold my sweet older 2WD SMB last week....and now I just have to sell my truck (my ad is posted on Expo Forum, for anyone reading this ).

You are nearby enough for me to be realistic about seeing your van (I am in AZ), so wish me luck with the sale of the truck!
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

Re: 2008 E-350 5.4L V8 4x4 "camperized" SMB poptop SALE PEND

Hi gbail,

Oops - cancel the message below - my buyer backed out, saying that he got seduced by equipment and condition but the rig isn't what he really needed for his mission. (He decided he wants more of a motorhome than an off-road camping rig.) So it's back on the market.

As the subject line says: Sale Pending.
A friend with a Sportsmobile told a friend of his who wants one.
I showed the van today and we have a deal to meet at the bank on Wednesday to finalize.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #7

Good luck with the bank...if its not a true SMB build it will be almost impossible because when it comes to the book value its nothing more than a Econoline van that has been customized and book values do not allow an add on for 4wd.
Buck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #8

Your point is of course well-taken for people who need to finance.

My buyer isn't applying for a loan. We're just meeting at the bank so we can do the money transfer, instead of hauling it around in a brown paper bag.

This buyer, who bought his Westy 10 years ago from the mutual friend who put us together on this sale, is paying in full out of his own pocket and will likely keep this van for 10 years at which time, if he chooses to sell it, he will find a cash buyer.

That's the problem with banks. Regardless of how much money you have they like to treat you like you're a beggar that has come to the door to ask for crumbs.

I've bought and sold a few houses in the last year or so. My offers as a buyer don't have finance contingencies, so I'm able to get some excellent deals. As a seller I no longer accept any offers that are contingent on financing. As in: the buyer's money issues don't concern me. If they want the property, and they can afford it, excellent. If not, tough. I've had a few tears shed in my direction about how they're preapproved for a loan, etc., but nobody will sell them anything even though they're preapproved. But I've found that every time I've accepted a finance contingency I've had to deal with some idiot at a bank hiding behind an appraisal that is essentially bs. The appraiser can only offer an opinion and if the appraiser's opinion is lower than a qualified buyer is willing to pay, then the appraiser is wrong. But the bank, which agrees the buyer is qualified for the property and would happily lend the money to the buyer if the appraiser approves the price, won't do the deal when the appraiser is wrong as specified previously. Oh, yeah, and because I priced it fairly to begin with (regardless of the appraiser's incorrect opinion) I end up getting my price anyway (and sometimes more) when the buyer drops out after invoking the finance contingency due to the bank's refusal to loan based on the incorrect appraisal. (And it's 100% clear that the appraiser is wrong, because a cash buyer pays the price.) But it costs me time and aggravation and it gets in the way of doing business, which I'm pretty sure is what banks are for (getting in the way, that is).

Don't get me started on banks. I'll just say this: The real estate market is currently hamstrung by banks and appraisers. If the banks would lend, the market would skyrocket. On the other hand, it was previously destroyed by a devil-may-care attitude by bankers who were selling their loans to we taxpayers under the guise of Fannie Mae, thereby incurring zero risk for themselves and lots of profit. So they would lend to anybody for any appraisal no matter how stupid. Now the pendulum has swung this other way. I only hope I manage to acquire a bunch of housing inventory before the loan floodgates get opened again. Anyhoo, apply all of the above to Sportsmobile values. It may or may not lead you to the same place.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Re: 2008 E-350 5.4L V8 4x4 "camperized" SMB poptop

Bump - because after last night's "sale agreement" the buyer backed out this morning, saying that the rig's equipment and condition seduced him into wanting it when it didn't really fit his mission. He says he really needs more of a motorhome, not an offroad camping rig.

So it's back on the market.

Pics and website and further promotion elsewhere to come.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Re: 2008 E-350 5.4L V8 4x4 "camperized" SMB poptop

Sorry to hear your buyer flaked out. To me, an agreement is an agreement. Keep the faith, I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon.

Herb