Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

SOLD! 2008 GMC SMB, diesel, 4x4, PH, 52K miles, $48K

Adventuremobile for sale, Burlington VT...

• 2008 GMC Savana G3500 w/ 6.6L Duramax diesel
• 51,800 miles
• Quigley 4x4 conversion & lift
• Firestone air bag rear suspension with Air Lift wirelessly controlled compressor
• BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A tires @ 235/85R16 (32" Χ 9Ό") [nearly new]
• Aluminess rear bumper w/ rear lights + in-bumper storage + tow hitch + swing-away gates with lockbox & spare
• Aluminess front bumper w/ fog lights + 12,000lb Warn winch
• Sportsmobile penthouse top w/ top bunk bed, zip-open screened windows, & privacy shades
• Sportsmobile interior w/ bench seats that fold together into a bed
• under-floor storage, pantry, closet, under-bench storage
• lots of interior lighting, day/night shades, privacy curtains, etc.
• Norcold 12V/110V 3.6 cu ft refrigerator
• 200 amp-hour 4D AGM battery [new last year]
• three 55W solar panels w/ RV Power Products MPPT solar charge controller
• 2000W inverter w/ converter for 110V "shore power" hookup

Van seats 8 (seatbelts for everybody) and sleeps 4.
I get about 17mpg on the highway when I'm driving reasonably. More like 15mpg when I'm driving aggressively, or as good as 20+mpg when I'm drafting tractor-trailers.

I've made a handful of additions/improvements since purchasing the van just a year-and-a-half ago. Here are some highlights...

• Yakima roofrack towers & crossbars (78" crossbar width)
• Packasport System 115 roof box (enormous 25.5 cu ft volume, Penthouse top re-balanced for extra weight)
• Yakima 2-bike rack, front-mounted via custom-machined mounting bracket (see photos)
• farm jack attachment bracket on front bullbar (see photos)
• custom lockable diesel jerry-can in rear swing-away gate (see photos)
• custom harness/brackets for attaching storage bin on top of lockbox (see photos)

This rig is in fantastic shape. My wife and I are really going to miss it, but I'm afraid it's impractical for us at this stage due to a career change for her. We are non-smokers, as were prior owners. We own the van outright and have the title ready to sign over. Please PM me if you want to check it out. See where this adventuremobile can take you!

grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #2

Re: 2008 GMC SMB, diesel, 4x4, penthouse top, 52K miles, $50

Thats a nice looking rig! I think you should paint that ladder black though, for continuity!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

Re: 2008 GMC SMB, diesel, 4x4, penthouse top, 52K miles, $52

Yes! I love that alternative to a side Aluminess ladder. Home Depot is now selling SMB body accessories.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

PM sent
Bahamame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Grayson,
Please contact me. I'd like to chat more about your SMB for sale. I don't seem to have the ability to PM due to being new and not posting much..... they are keeping the rift-raft out.

Thanks much,
Jason
jasonness74@msn.com
Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Would you please advise whether this vehicle is still available.

Thanks.

db1917@q.com
debbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbuc
Would you please advise whether this vehicle is still available.
Yup, still available.

In answer to some common questions I've been asked by many of those who have so far inquired...

Is there water/sink anywhere?
No built-in plumbing of any kind. For water we just bring gallon jugs and sometimes a 5-gallon water carrier depending on how far we're getting from the beaten path on any given trip. I really prefer not having the sink and plumbing systems: less to maintain, more space for other uses, etc. We have a solar shower that hangs nicely from a roofrack crossbar end that I'll be happy to include with the sale. And we've found that having a small Piddle Pail serves most of the needs that a toilet would while taking up a very small fraction of the space, plus it's a lot less unpleasant to empty than a blackwater tank.

What type of heat/air conditioning? (when the truck isn’t running)
No built-in heat or A/C when the engine is off. There's fantastic ventilation with the Penthouse Top raised, which we generally prefer over A/C. For heat, we like to use a portable electric ceramic heater when plugged into shore power. That option works only to a limited degree when "off grid" because it will wear down the battery pretty quickly if used too much when not plugged in. The portable electric heaters we have are a real nice fit for the van, and I'll be happy to throw them in as part of the purchase price. The other option we've used when "off grid" is a Portable Buddy Heater that runs from little camp stove propane cylinders. Problem with that is it's tricky to get enough ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide buildup, but not so much that all the heat goes out along with the CO. No such issue with the electric heater when plugged into shore power because they don't generate CO. See below for an additional option you might consider if you'll routinely want heat where you can't be plugged in.

Does the diesel run anything other than the truck?
Not exactly. But interestingly, the van includes a GMC-factory-installed fuel-operated-heater (FOH) that kicks in when starting the van in cold temperatures. It consumes diesel to heat the engine coolant to warm up the engine block. With GMC's control module, it ONLY operates when the engine is running, specifically to help bring the engine block up to temp more quickly after starting in the cold. HOWEVER, the FOH module itself is an Espar unit (essentially equivalent to their Hydronic D4 or D5 as I understand it) that's fully capable of efficiently heating the engine block while the engine is off, and so allowing you to use the van's factory heating system to heat the interior without running the engine. For about $400 in parts you could replace the control module on that FOH unit so that you can run it independent of the engine. I seriously considered this, but decided we really didn't need the off-grid heat that often. I can provide further details if you think you might want to install this yourself.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Re: 2008 GMC SMB, diesel, 4x4, penthouse, 52K miles, $48K

PRICE DROPPED! I'm motivated to sell. $48K for this sweet rig. Get it before somebody else does.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Dia

That's a seriously nice looking rig. I've passed the link along to some friends, but they're still in the looky-lou stage. Probably not serious yet.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #10

Hi! Hope you are well. What a great looking rig you have! My main question is around classification of the vehicle; due to the fact that there is no plumbing/water etc, does that mean in the eyes of bank (to the best of your knowledge) the van is 'not' considered a class B RV? Or perhaps, is it? Obviously this could impact purchasing, hence the reason I ask.

Thanks much!
Josh
michiganjosh is offline   Reply With Quote