Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #31
Orv

Garage
I think they must have gotten their trim from the same supplier Westfalia did, because all the trim on my Westy shrank too.

The sad thing is I've seen far cheaper construction. A lot of big-name RVs are total junk, which is one reason they lose their value so fast. I was remarking to my wife that I could have bought any number of 25+ foot Class A's and Class C's for what I paid for my van. At least with the van I knew the exterior walls weren't dry-rotted.

Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #32

Sad but true, it is still better then most rv's, especially travel trailers. I hate cabinetry put together with staples. But I was just looking at a new Winnabago and a Roadtrek and, I confess, I was impressed with their interiors. I am a diehard Sportsmobile fan, but I can't honestly say what my next one will be.
CarlParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #33

I guess I got lucky, my GTRV has held up through thousands of miles of washboard, huge potholes, and general abuse. The contents of those cabinets haven't always worn as well though, and stuff gets pretty beat up. It's a 2001, and I've never has as much as a screw come loose, everything is as tight as it was new, and the trim hasn't shrunken. Never an issue with the top either. Now that I've said that, I wonder what will go first?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I guess I got lucky.... Now that I've said that, I wonder what will go first?
Do keep us posted please!

As far as cabinet quality- that is a problem I do not have. Because I have no cabinets!

I was reading about a couple who race bikes and live in a van but they had so much in there -including workout equipment- that they sleep in a roof top tent. Being native mid-westerner, all I could think was NO WAY would that work where there's winter
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #35
Orv

Garage
The cabinets in mine seem decent, but after 120,000 miles of travel they're a little loose at some of the joints, especially in the roll-out pantry cabinet. Most of them are bolted together so that will be easy to fix, just need to get around to it. The countertop around the sink and stove is also cracked from people stepping on it to get into the upper bunk.