Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

SOLD: Turtle III 1987 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo

For Sale
TURTLE III OverlandExpedition Truck
Located in OklahomaCity Oklahoma
Original build in 1987 and freshened up in 1994, to include7.3 turbo installed by Ford.
https://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle-iii/
2016, previous owner, tires, brakes, shocks, springs, bushings, seals, rear/side cameras.
I purchased this legendary truck from who I believe was the 3rd owner. The original owners/builders being Gary and Monika Wescott. They designed and built this truck to travel some of the most remote places in the world, and are considered by most to be the pioneers of overlanding. The thought, details and equipment that went into this truck are arguably what paved the way for the huge off the grid overlanding market today.
From the Ready-Air belt driven air compressor w/ storage tank, to the Linc-Arc 190 Alternator, supplying 110AC power and provide welding capabilities. A drivetrain to include front and rear ARB lockers, Gear-Vendors over-under drive. The custom Rickardfront bumper w/12000 Mega-Winch, locking compartments, lights. The custom Rickard rear bumper w/ swingout Gerry can carrier, swingout spare tire carrier, Max-Forest tool, hi-lift jack, shovel andWarn 8000 Winch, and the custom Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper. It has it all.
When I stumbled across it I was initially surprised to see the Turtle III truck still out there, let alone for sale! Having followed their travels for years in all the different publications, I knew what this truck was. Couldn’t believe it wasn’t in a museum, or someone’s car collection?! Then I’m thinking it’s a 30+ yearold truck with 200000+ miles on it! Would it be worn out?
Well after talking to Daryl, the seller, who gave me the rund own of things he had done to it prior to his 6 mo cross country trip, I thought well it must be roadworthy! So after a 15 minute FaceTime walk a round, I said what the hell, I'll take it. That next weekend I was in Alabama staring face to face with the Turtle III!! And the best thing about it was the condition it was in! It was amazing! The paint and decals were in almost perfect condition, the doors shut easy and tight. It ran and drove like a dream. There were no rattles. I was shocked. This thing is like new.
Among other things, Daryl had swapped the original walnut console for a aftermarket console that folded to a seat. fortunately he kept the original.
As I started going through the camper, I found the welding leads, rods, mask, as well as the tire kit that included a pneumatic impact, theArctic kit for the camper, and additional padlocks for all the doors. There is an air hose in the bumper compartment to connect to one of two quick connects,front and rear. 120 psi! There are hoses,hookups for the heat exchanger for hot showers, winch controls, straps, as well as other cool items. Climbing up to look in the thule pods, I found they were full of spare parts, ie, belts, hoses, filters, wipers, and other misc. parts. Inthe cab, insulation all around, German Scheel-Mann seats are race car like.Reflective window covers, there are secondary gauges for everything, and they’reall intact and work.
As you can imagine I was pretty excited to find it in such incredible condition.
I proceeded to drive it back to Oklahoma with confidence,and I must admit, with a lot of pride. Not everybody knows the history of these trucks. So when you run across someone that someone does, it’s pretty cool to see their eyes light up.
After we sold our 08 SMB, we took it up to our cabin in Colorado,where we’ve used it to for overnight trips, and loved it. It is now back in Oklahoma City. This truck remains in the same condition as when I purchased it close to 2 years ago.
Fortunately or Unfortunately, I have an opportunity that requires I sell itas well as our 2000 SMB listed in another thread here on the forum.
While I think it’s history makes it worthy of preservation insomeone’s car collection, it is a perfectly capable vehicle to explore theworld in.

Price $22,500 (need to sell, make an offer)
you will agree that this a steal if you come and drive it

Things it needs that I’m working on getting done
May affect price?
Power supply to rear winch, new cable, I have it.
Frig is not operating? Haven’t really looked into it.
Gear-Vendor needs seal installed, I have it.
CB radio not working, comes on but no sound?

Drives like new, seriously.

I will continue to update this thread as things come to mind
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2454.jpg   IMG_2455.jpg   IMG_2450.jpg   IMG_2449.jpg   IMG_2457.jpg  

IMG_2429.jpg   IMG_2438.jpg   IMG_2447.jpg   IMG_2439.jpg   IMG_2440.jpg  

somedaysoon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

Turtle III 1987 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo

I'll post more pics as soon as I can
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2440.jpg   IMG_2430.jpg   IMG_2431.jpg   IMG_2429.jpg   IMG_2448.jpg  

IMG_2441.jpg   IMG_2442.jpg   IMG_2443.jpg   IMG_2444.jpg   IMG_0814.jpg  

Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Cool rig, and seems to be a great price.

herb
Old 10-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Any interior pics of the camper?
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

Couple of interior pics in my album. I've got more pics coming.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

I am very interested. If it is still for sale, please call me at (405) 596-7321. I am in Edmond Ok.
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

Do ya get anything for all that advertisement Looks like a rolling billboard.
Well at least it's a Ford
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #8

Sweet baby Jesus I want this.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #9

I remember reading about this rig in Fourwheeler magazine back in the 90's and thinking how cool it was. Seems like Sportsmobiles are in the same niche. Someone's gonna get a very cool and recognizeable piece of history with this one!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Agreed except that this truck got used in true way the heck off the grid excursions while Sportsmobiles are campers. Lol I kid but yeah this is a bit more serious set up than pretty much all the Sportsmobiles out there.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote