Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #1

Tough Audience (looking for used)

I've bought/sold and upgraded just about any small camper van you can think of plus Airstreams and I've never had a tougher time buying something. Twice I've offered to pay asking price only to have the sellers back out and a half a dozen non-responses from craigslist ads. You'd think that when something sells used for $40K or more, the sellers would be a little more motivated.

So I thought I'd give it a try here. I've done my homework on the options -- I'm looking for a post 2002-aged used RB 4x4 Diesel, penthouse, preferably with propane, stove, fridge. Starcool in the back would be nice, somewhere in the West would also be nice and reduce pick up expense. I'm a cash buyer, not black bags of $100 bills, I just mean no financing hassles or offers of trades.

Hinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

Re: Tough Audience (looking for used)

Check out the Sportsmobile Texas used page. Seems like Starcool is not popular in the west but is pretty standard in the midwest and east. Sportsmobile Texas has a number of used units on their premises.
CharlyBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #3

People who list with SMB are serious... to the tune of $1000 in fees to do so.

Craigslisters are notoriously flakey, you might be running into people who are testing the waters or just the usual CL douchebags. Also anyone who approached me with a cash offer on CL would be immediatly suspect... too many scammers have come before you.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
People who list with SMB are serious... to the tune of $1000 in fees to do so.

Craigslisters are notoriously flakey, you might be running into people who are testing the waters or just the usual CL douchebags. Also anyone who approached me with a cash offer on CL would be immediatly suspect... too many scammers have come before you.

Really? The three Sportmobile Centers charge $1000 for listing? It was one I just lost that was at one of the centers and he just changed his mind and took it home. I was ready to send them the money for the inspection.

By cash, I don't mean I'm a drug lord or anything, I just mean people won't have to worry about waiting for me to secure financing. Half the time I have tried to sell vehicles people have wanted to me to carry a loan for them. So I sympathize.

Ah well, I'll keep looking.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinkamp
Really? The three Sportmobile Centers charge $1000 for listing? It was one I just lost that was at one of the centers and he just changed his mind and took it home. I was ready to send them the money for the inspection.
Things may have changed. In my experience SMB doesn't keep the vans on the lot (ergo no "driving it home", though I realize that might have been a figure of speech) and in fact never sees most of them (ergo no inspection money), although in my case they certainly acted like they knew the exact actual condition of the van I bought even though it was two states away.

At the time I bought mine it was $1000 for listing on the SMBW previously owned, I'm not sure if that's up front, half and half, or what. It covers the time Lynn takes at SMB West to handle potential buyers, looky-loo's etc. When I tried to sell mine at Fresno, (I was going to dump it and fly home), we never go into the $ because the first thing they said was, "No way, we don't keep used vans."

Someone should tell the forum owner to start charging for SMB listings...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinkamp
Things may have changed. In my experience SMB doesn't keep the vans on the lot (ergo no "driving it home", though I realize that might have been a figure of speech) and in fact never sees most of them (ergo no inspection money), although in my case they certainly acted like they knew the exact actual condition of the van I bought even though it was two states away.

At the time I bought mine it was $1000 for listing on the SMBW previously owned, I'm not sure if that's up front, half and half, or what. It covers the time Lynn takes at SMB West to handle potential buyers, looky-loo's etc. When I tried to sell mine at Fresno, (I was going to dump it and fly home), we never go into the $ because the first thing they said was, "No way, we don't keep used vans."

Someone should tell the forum owner to start charging for SMB listings...

No, it was sitting there in Indiana and I was in the process of getting more photos to answer specific questions and paying for an mechanical inspection and the guy just pulled it when he found out there was a buyer. So, he's picking it up from a couple states away after dropping it off there earlier this month.... not to belabor this. I want to move on and find one, I just thought it would be easier.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Haha, free storage maybe? Not fun for you.

If you like I can move this whole thread to "Campfire" and you can make a new "Wanted" post in Classifieds since I've managed to junk it up with irrelevant discussion. We're having similar issues finding a house in Denver- it's supposed to be a great time to buy but we can't find anything. It feels like we're the crazy people since it ought to be easy to find anything right now.

Lemme know about moving this thread.