Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Trade Espar 7 day Timer controller for Espar Thermostat ?

I have a 2008 diesel van and have the Espar 7 day timer installed on the wall for the diesel heater.
It works fine and was installed by SMBW.

After two seasons, I realize that I don't use the 7 day timer and I would much rather have a basic thermostat.

Why? The 7 day timer doesn't seem to have the function that says turn on the heater if it drops below a certain temperature, say 40 degrees. As a result, I am that function and have to jump down and turn on the heater when any sleeper in the van is cold. To make sure I turn on the heat before they get cold, the girls have given me the thinnest sleeping bag. It would seem more sensible to get a thermostat.

The 7 day timer does, as you would expect, allow you to turn on the heater at specific times for every day of the week. We aren't liveaboards so that doesn't model our usage well. SMBW only carries the 7 day timer so couldn't do a switch.

Do you have a Espar thermostat and want to trade for a 7 day? Drop me a message.

Details on the various controllers are here.
http://www.espar.com/html/service/do...technical.html

If I have no takers, I'll follow advice on the forum and replace my 7 day timer with a basic house thermostat.

Thanks.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Trade Espar 7 day Timer controller for Espar Thermostat ?

That's strange, mine has a temp control but it's not set by degree so I kinda got to guess. I'm fairly good on where to set it at now. If I climb out of the vehicle the cold air makes the heater ramp up until the cab is back to the temp selected. I was dissapointed that it was not a digital type thermometer though. Wonder if you can cut one in and leave the timer in place?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #3

Re: Trade Espar 7 day Timer controller for Espar Thermostat ?

If you have both the Hydronic and Airtronic installed the timers look alike except the Airtronic has a temp adjusting knob on it. If the temperature control is not working then it could be bad or wired incorrectly.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote