Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Used SMB prices/mileage

There was a similar post about new smbs. Does anyone have any experience with buying used smb's? How negotiable are the prices? The prices on the smb sites seem high to me, but maybe I am expecting unrealistic amounts of depreciation. For a Ford van, 25,000 miles a couple of years old, I would expect around a one third price drop off new. Is the smb universe different than that? The other headache is finding them equipped right.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I know what you're saying..

I've been looking for one for awhile and I guess its a matter of perspective. If you're selling it, you're assuming that they hold their value and want to sell high and get the most you can from it. I think sportsmobile will do an assessment of the vehicles worth for used vehicles (I think), but that doesn't stop people from selling what they think they are worth. I think they are worth a lot. I just can't afford to buy one for that price. Sometimes I think it would be easier to purchase a new one (dealing with loans, credit unions, etc) for the price of a used one.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #3

I know what you mean, Joe. If a lot of these used prices are real, it makes me wonder if it is worth buying used, espeically given how hard it is to find something equipped the way I want it with full warranty. Depends on how patient one wants to be, I suppose.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

The prices on used SMB's on the SMB site are negotiable. I contacted SMB about one van, and they took my information and gave it to the owner who then contacted me.

Whatever you and the owner can negotiate is the final price. May depend on how motivated each of you are and how long the van has been on the market.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
unfortunately, the actually selling price is not posted for used SMB's...maybe some people here would be willing to post actual versus listed price.

As long as new one's cost $50k+ and 3+ months to deliver, figure used ones will hold their value.

I assume the ones posted on SMB are within 15% of the asking price as they traditionally sell quickly. Ones I've seen on eBay bid up to 25% less than SMB listing price, but many never make reserve.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #6

For what it's worth, we paid $2,000 less than the advertised price for a 2004 RB50, V10 gas, with 32,000 miles on it, very nice shape. I had been looking almost daily at the Sportsmobile used section and finally found one that seemed to be a decent price. It was 2WD, and we now have it at Salem Kroger for their 4X4 conversion. I used to be amazed at the used prices, but they seem to disappear off the website so I assume they sold. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
How much is that conversion? I've thought about buying the 2WD version and then saving up for 4wheel drive, but It would definitely be easier to do in one shot.

joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #8

I know someone who had one done to a Roadtrek for $10,000. My plan is to start with 2wd and see how much real need I would have for 4 wd. Currently I doubt it would be much. If I find I really would like it, I would add it later. Doubtless cheaper overall to get it all up front.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #9

I don't think it matters cost wise when you get it done. Most of the after after market people have their price lists, and that is what it is. I am talking about Non Sportsmobile 4x4 conversions. Sportsmobile said that they had already converted to the new 2008 model year, and were not interested in doing an existing pre 2008 model year van. As far as cost, I think everyone is over $10,000 now, even Quigley. I heard Quigly is now running around $12,500. Salem Kroger is currently running about $13,400 for their standard conversion. They will do practically anything you require, over and above their standard conversion on an option by option basis. In addition to their standard conversion, I am doing the 46 gal tank, re gearing front and rear differentials to end up with the equivilant of the factory 4.10 gear ratio after 34" tires, 5 new 17" aluminum wheels and Toyo tires, rear ladder, bush wacker fender flares, and stronger springs for future bumpers. This will bring the total cost to around $19,000. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #10

If you don't need 4x4, I really liked the new Chevy Duramax SMB (RB 50 layout) that they have listed on the New Vehicles: vin # 1125919.

It is 2wd, but is lifted and looks great, I've seen it in person. Besides, I'm a much bigger fan of the Duramax diesel over the Powerstroke. Just another option, although still expensive.