Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Want to Buy

Long time looker, but first time poster. I am on the hunt for a van. I have a long history with 7.3 powerstroke trucks, so I'd like to stick with that motor. I need seating and sleeping for 4. 2 adults and 2 kids. We live in Crested Butte, so also looking only at 4x4s. I have funds and looking to purchase in next 30-45 days. We have to move out of our house, and don't have anywhere to live until September 1. We will be in the van full time for most of the summer and then keep it as a travel mobile. If you are considering selling, or know where a good van is please let me know. I'm willing to spend the money for a great van, but don't have $70K to throw at it. Thank you in advance, and I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

spencerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #2

I would post a reasonable budget. I know you threw out a ceiling of $70k, but you said you won't go that high. Where would you like to be? There is a big difference between a $30k van and a $50k van. You will probably end up closer to $50 if you must have the 7.3. A good V-10 will likely be closer to $35.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Here are some examples:
https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ey-4x4.204854/

No pics, no idea what its like. But sounds like it sleeps at least 4. $55k.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

I've been emailing with the guy from Expo Portal. Seems like a nice van, but trying to get some additional info and pics from him.

My budget is $50K.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Not exactly "close by", and probably needs some amount of monetary input if you want to update it...

Edit: Closer-by to you than I thought it was. SearchTempest really makes the US seem small. It is, however, far away from me.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto...873480662.html

For what the build & van is, and that it has 4x4, I'd say $35K is probably pretty close to fair.

I would also presume that for this price point you would have leftover funds to update any of the interior or mechanicals as you saw fit/needed.

Erik
Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Not exactly "close by", and probably needs some amount of monetary input if you want to update it...

Edit: Closer-by to you than I thought it was. SearchTempest really makes the US seem small. It is, however, far away from me.

For what the build & van is, and that it has 4x4, I'd say $35K is probably pretty close to fair.

I would also presume that for this price point you would have leftover funds to update any of the interior or mechanicals as you saw fit/needed.

Erik

THank you! It's old school, but I think it's cool.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post

Erik
That one is pretty sweet. Been for sale for a bit, down from $41k. I would offer somewhere around $33k and spend the extra on updates. OP may want something with forward facing seats for his kids (I don't know their ages) but if so, he is limited to a "50" layout or a captains chairs layout.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Yes, I'd prefer forward facing seats for sure, and my first choice is 4 captains chairs. I'm not afraid of changing a few things after purchase as long as the platform is solid.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerm View Post
Yes, I'd prefer forward facing seats for sure, and my first choice is 4 captains chairs. I'm not afraid of changing a few things after purchase as long as the platform is solid.
Good to know. You're in for quite the search. In the 3 years I have been looking at SMBs, I have only seen 6 with captains chairs. 2 were 4x4, one ford and one chevy. The others were 2wd and I or my friends bought 3 of them because we all have kids. When they pop up, be ready to get on a flight. My friend just bought one last weekend out of houston for $10k. 2wd and needs some interior help, but otherwise solid. Could add 4x4 to that.

Oh, and none of them have had a diesel except the 4x4 chevy, but that had no pop top and was $44k.

Good luck! I will post everything I find. I check every day.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
That one is pretty sweet. Been for sale for a bit, down from $41k. I would offer somewhere around $33k and spend the extra on updates. OP may want something with forward facing seats for his kids (I don't know their ages) but if so, he is limited to a "50" layout or a captains chairs layout.
Yes- I did not mean to be deceptive in failing to mention that, I didn't think of mentioning it.

I agree... Shoot an offer of the lower-mid 30's after looking at it, if it checks out.

I don't have a sportsmobile or even a built out interior... The interior designations on builds will be totally lost on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerm View Post
FWIW: I think that for getting your foot in the door on such short notice, low $30K's is a pretty good deal. No- it likely isn't exactly what you want, and yes, the phone is ringing, the 90s want their paint scheme back... But having been combing for nice vans for a while I haven't seen too many like this one. Not saying they don't exist, but am saying that I wouldn't hold my breath for another one to pop up and be an even better deal. Looking at google maps the guy is only about 200 miles south of you.

The idea that this van (At least, the seller claims) was stored inside for the last couple of years and has fresh tires, etc, sounds like a good thing. I had to buy a set of 5 KO2's for my van about a year back, think they ended up costing me about $1300. Not cheap, not expensive, but it's nice that as a potential new owner, you won't be picking that bill up.