Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Wanted, 2005 or newer, EB with low profile, layout 41 best

Hello,

I am looking to buy a SMB (2wd or 4). Main thing is I want the penthouse, lowest miles possible, and just a bed/ three seat couch in the back. I don't need all the other interior stuff like sink, counter, cabinets...etc. something like this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/4198750912.html but about 30,000 less.

Ultimately, I've decided the best strategy to accommodate my family of five would be me and wife sleep up top, two of my kids sleep on big bed in back and third sleeps across driver and passenger seat or on couch running along driver side wall of van. Then carry all cooking and other needed gear in a utility trailer. When kids get older I'll let me use a tent or money permitting, get a roof top tent to put on trailer as I've seen one of the members on here do.

Any leads? I just PM'd member 86Scotty. Re his nice van for sale. Any others out there?

Thanks!

taverre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Re: Wanted, 2005 or newer, EB with low profile, layout 41 be

You mean the EB50 with forward facing seats but no cabinets? I think given the price range you're better just getting the cabinets as there will be way more options (I've seen one before with the closets deleted).

Then again if you truly like the EB41 best, there will be more options with the side facing gaucho, but again most will have more cabinets than you want. Not everybody is a fan of side seating though.

Going non-SMB you might find a better minimum build like you like, there are some types of bench that just make a big bed with no frills. Actually, I'm not sure that even finding an SMB with the closet/features deleted will save you any money, as the link you included exemplifies.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

You may want to consider the penthouse top made by CCV as they make a larger version and perhaps could accommodate two adults and a small child.

Anyway you go space will be cramped. I suggest you buy a pull along trailer just for sleeping
and everyone will be happy.

Buy a VAN and tow something for the same price as an SMB type vehicle.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/4192989832.html

This one is posted in the SF craigs, but its in TX. Similar setup to the one you posted but it does have a sink and some cabinets. Has 4 captains chairs though, so thats nice.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by copescobra
Anyway you go space will be cramped. I suggest you buy a pull along trailer just for sleeping
and everyone will be happy.
I've seen 3 adults and 2 kids, probably 8 & 12 happily camp in an RB. Also 2 adults and 2 teens (14 & 15) lived in a van for 3 months in Mexico. Depends on what you're used to I guess. We plan to keep the EB50 throughout and will have the twins and niece camping all together. I want a trailer but it's for me not because of space and won't have any sleeping quarters.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Dia

There's also this one viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10605&hilit=transformer+should +have+built

(No affiliation other than lusting over it myself. OK, while I'm confessing, I've lusted after 86Scotty's, too.)
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
I think he wanted to spend less not more...
Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Dia

Spend less... You mean that's allowed???

How come nobody ever tells me these things? I mean, geez, I was just tryin' to bring him up to speed with how it's going to be once he's got one.

(Also, I read his initial post as wanting 30k less on the odo. My bad.)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/4192989832.html

This one is posted in the SF craigs, but its in TX. Similar setup to the one you posted but it does have a sink and some cabinets. Has 4 captains chairs though, so thats nice.

Just swapped emails with the owner, who has several vehicles (and "100s of van seats and benches") advertised on the Austin craigslist. Search on his phone number -- 512 -560-8100. It's a weird collection of stuff!

He bought the SMB at auction in SF, so he has it advertised there, Fresno and Sacramento, but he brought the van back to Austin. Oddly he doesn't have it advertised on the Austin craigslist.

No stove and no fridge. It has propane for a hot water heater and furnace. He says the stove and fridge were omitted to make room for the captains chairs.

I might go look at it later this week, just for fun...
Old 11-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #10

FYI - That SMB in Austin has a rebuilt title. I was very interested until I found that out. He can supply the pictures before the rework was done. My insurance would only cover liability because of this. Decided to pass on it. I am still on the lookout for something just like this one (4 captains chairs an a bench seat in the back).